PDA

View Full Version : We Are Way Beyond Acceptable!

litangel
12-28-2012, 02:04 AM
I have read several posts, asking if we are OK, if we are freaks, etc. The answer is obvious that how we are is acceptable. But we are so much more! My belief is that each human being, if they follow their heart, has meaning not only for themselves, but for the world.
Throughout time and different cultures there have always been those who blurred or crossed the lines between the genders. In many cultures those individuals were celebrated. In a number of native American tribes, if you had a child who was a two-spirit (their name for trans folk) if was like today having a child with an IQ of 200, or a great quarterback. You were considered blessed, and the child was a gift to the tribe. I think that folks who cross gender boundaries are nature/spirit's way of keeping some balance and healing in gender relations. The fact that folks like us have been so persecuted in Western cultures has contributed to the deep and painful divide between the genders. The lack of gender crossers has led to imbalance.

And there is another purpose in our gender crossing that is unique to this time in history. I did a lot of research on the history of dressing and gender for a book I was writing, and what I discovered was this. In the period right before recorded history, all the evidence shows a time of cooperation, and little human to human violence, There appeared to be no particular power differentiation or big role differentiation between the genders. If anything females were more celebrated for their ability to give birth.
And around 3000 BC, something started to happen. All of a sudden tribes started warring with one another, and a tribes success was tied to it's ability to conquer or at least defend itself. So the tribes that dominated evolved a gender differentiation where the men accentuated being strong, smart, and out of touch with their feelings (so they could do heinous things in battle) and the role of the females became to raise the children and make things pleasurable enough for the warriors that they were willing to go out and fight.
This system has lasted for thousands of years. What the "warriors" needed to be has shifted from brutishly strong, to smart and strategic, to economically successful, to tech and science skills. But the roles were the same.
The competitive, domination paradigm no longer works. We would destroy ourselves. And really since at least the 1700's humankind has been healing it's splits. And we as men who cross the gender divide are a part of the world becoming the way it needs to be. We are bringing together beauty and power, efficiency and joy, practicality and sensuality. Along with the wonderful female bodied folk who have crossed the lines we are healing our world.

What we do is more than OK, more than acceptable, as we follow our hearts we are a gift to the world.

mikiSJ
12-28-2012, 03:37 AM
I think your half full optimism is showing. We, as with any group that is different than the "norm", acceptance comes in very tiny steps and sometimes there is a large gap in time between when those steps hit the ground.

litangel
12-28-2012, 04:17 AM
I in no way am saying that we feel this complete acceptance and appreciation in every minute. I am just saying, I think who we are is totally a blessing, even in those moments we do not feel it.

ArleneRaquel
12-28-2012, 04:30 AM
I in no way am saying that we feel this complete acceptance and appreciation in every minute. I am just saying, I think who we are is totally a blessing, even in those moments we do not feel it.

litangel,
It is a blessing and we should be thankful that we are so chosen, I know that I am. I feel so alive being Arlene. :)

Joanie_Shakti
12-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks litangel, you've expressed what I've been feeling these last few years. I started meditating around 1999 or so, though I'm not very disciplined about it. Because my teacher, Dr. Pillai, is from India, I started developing an interest in the Hindu dieties. I found it interesting that many of their male gods are pictured as androgynous. Muruga and Krishna are two who come to mind that have a feminine look to them. And Shiva is often depicted as half male on the right side and his female consort, Parvati on the left side. It was especially this male/female form of Shiva that helped me to accept myself and embrace the goddess within.

I recently read two books, "My Husband Wears My Clothes" and "My Husband Betty," written by wives of crossdressers. I don't remember which one it was, but one book mentioned the Native American "two-spirits." I had never heard of this term before, though I recalled a two-spirit in "Little Big Man" after reading about them. I immediately embraced the idea as it helped to validate my feelings about the god/goddess within from my Hindu studies.

The competitive, domination paradigm no longer works. We would destroy ourselves. And really since at least the 1700's humankind has been healing it's splits. And we as men who cross the gender divide are a part of the world becoming the way it needs to be. We are bringing together beauty and power, efficiency and joy, practicality and sensuality. Along with the wonderful female bodied folk who have crossed the lines we are healing our world.

What we do is more than OK, more than acceptable, as we follow our hearts we are a gift to the world.

I agree 100%. If we truly are beginning Satya Yuga, or "Golden Age," as my teacher claims, I feel that two-spirits have a special place in helping to bring it to fruition. For myself, though unfortunately being sick this week (Ascension flu?), I have felt extremely positive about the future this month, despite all of the news of the dark forces going out kicking and screaming. I'm able to observe without getting emotionally attached. Not having much direction in life so far and pretty much just existing, I'm excited about the future and what role we two-spirits will take. I do not know what that role is supposed to be, but I feel we are to help usher in this Golden Age.

Marleena
12-28-2012, 03:48 PM
We are normal but different (a minority group). Don't worry be happy. Transgender has been removed from the DSM so it's all good.:)