PDA

View Full Version : Has Coming Out Changed Your Dressing Choices?

litangel
12-31-2012, 03:58 AM
When I came out as genderfluid 2 months ago, I discovered that the type of femme clothing I need and want and has changed. I wonder if this has happened for others also. In general, when I was just dressing around Halloween, and for a few select safe dressy situations, I aimed for outfits that looked sexy and were often super femme. When I began to frequently dress in public, I found that comfort and social appropriateness became more important. Also I tend to dress my mood, and I needed a wider choice of outfits to express different moods. I was not always going for girlish sexy.
More specifically, I use to have mostly short skirts and dresses, but going our more often, I found many short outfits that look great standing up, are a little too short when I sit down, so I have gotten more knee length skirts and dresses. I now where shirts or bike shorts (and tights in the winter) under some of my favorite short dresses. I found myself wearing more leggings and long shirt/blouses. I use to wear lots of bright colors, and now I find I have moods when I want to show up less, and navy or brown feels right. I have had some moods when I want to look more ethereal than sexy, and something real flowy that is not form fitting, fits the bill. I founds boots are great for the rain in Oregon, and that a not pink plastic rain coat has been my most frequently worn piece of clothing. Black tights and leggings mean I have to shave my legs less.

What are some of the changes you have noticed?

Persephone
12-31-2012, 04:20 AM
Definitely!

Dressing to fulfill your dreams is different than dressing to be out-and-about in the world. I think you hit all of the points very well, social appropriateness matters a great deal.

Hugs,
Persephone.

thechic
12-31-2012, 04:53 AM
Yep Definitely!

I Now dress more casualy less makeup ,somtimes no makeup,often wear jeans,due to my work and other activies but i do coordinate better .Wearing a dress or skirt is now not a big thing as thats what i wear when not working or fighting fires. the shoes i now wear now have a smaller heal for everyday wear compeared to the 4"heals i started with.I even Have flats.

noeleena
12-31-2012, 05:26 AM
Hi,

Change of clothes well yes just not in the way you mean, Jos & i picked out mamy of my clothes as i have done for Jos .we pretty much check with each other on what looks nice,

my clothes reflect myself as a woman my style has allways been concervtive certinaly not flashy, im not feminine enough to wear frilly or very feminine clothes, they dont suit or look right on me yet i do have lovely clothes,

I do have the difficulty with clothes for our Edwardian group 1900 to 1914. most of our women 18 , we do have more that come to our do's, can & do look lovely,

so i design make & sew all my clothes to fit look good yet suit my facial features, other wise i would look stupid other wise, yes even as a woman some of us dont have that female look about us,, its if you like they are the Ladys , im just one of the women '' servant '' if you like,

The other group is very different so its more me & my clothes do suit me better, the Renaissance times as A Lady of the Castle or a wench, those garb = clothes really do suit me to a tee, as day clothes id rather wear them. well i have done ,for others to see,

day clothes just normal skirts long , tee's & tops sunhat or headwear, no make up dont need it, sandles or flat'es, i can look nice & smart, & comforable & that suits me,

My women friends would soon say something if i get it wrong, so yes we do help each other,

...noeleena...

Angela Campbell
12-31-2012, 05:32 AM
Since I have been dressing fully, which started last summer, I have wanted to be able to go out and present as a woman. I try to wear what a woman would wear wherever I am going. I have some nice party dresses, but mostly I wear jeans and a nice top, or leggings and a tunic, or maybe if dressing a little nicer a fairly conservative skirt. Always have on jewelry like ear rings, bracelets and necklace, for some reason I just feel incomplete without these as much as I would feel weird dressed up without makeup and a wig. I like to be a little sexy, of course what woman doesn't, but not too much so I don't draw a lot of attention.

Cheryl T
12-31-2012, 08:45 AM
For sure it changed in my world.
When I was still in the closet I would have only one, maybe two outfits to wear and of course they were the sexiest things I could find. I'd wear the highest strappy heels with my sheer black nylons and garter belt, my sexiest bra and panties and of course a revealing blouse and short skirt or tight dress.
Now that everything is out in the open my closet still has lots of skirts (knee length) and dresses (feminine, but nothing 'exotic'), shoes of all styles, tons of bras and panties but nothing any different from what you would find in any woman's dresser.
I've gone from being a tart (****ty to some) to being the average gal you'd see anywhere. Strangest thing is that's what I love. I don't want to be the standout, I want to be just another woman out in the world. It's satisfying to me. Funny, in some ways I've become the "soccer mom" and that's just fine with me.

kimdl93
12-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Kind of. Like many of us, I began without a clear sense of what worked for my body shape and a well defined sense of style. When I moved away from things more appropriate for a slim twenty something and towards a more age appropriate and situational appropriate style I was more comfortable and confident in my appearance, which made coming out a bit easier.

Launa
12-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Yes things have changed. I now have some good looking clothes that any woman could wear. The prom dresses are put away for special occasions and not for going to the grocery store.

I Am Paula
12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Absolutely! I went from drag queen to soccer mom. My flats outnumber heels, and I have more pants than skirts. I will not give up sexy underwear tho', even a soccer mom can have her guilty pleasures.-Celeste

bridget thronton
12-31-2012, 11:25 AM
The biggest change was I started buying dresses (not just skirts and suits). I was never interested in a sexy presentation so knee length hems and comfortable heels have always been my style.

Jenniferathome
12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree. Coming out has allowed me to develop a style. When you have to hide everything, you tend to impulse buy and only that which you can fold/hide easily. Being ableto talk to my wife about what goes with what has been a huge help!

Beverley Sims
12-31-2012, 12:57 PM
When I started to go out regularly years ago I found more sensible clothes to wear and more conservative to boot.

StephanieC
12-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Yup, definitely. I still try to be stylish though. I'm not much into pants. And I have some cute flats but people call me out when I wear them because they are accustomed to seeing me in various heels (though never extreme). But I have a friend at work who likes to dress "flashy" when she goes out:her normal attire is her son's old sweatshirts, jeans, and chucka boots. (And she is GG)

-stephani