PDA

View Full Version : How feminine is your home?

Emma_Forbes
12-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi Girls,

I have a question about your home, particularly where you are on your own. It seems to be a recognised fact that a home shows the gender 'touch' of its inhabitant. Now my home is very sparse, my design skills being about as finely honed as Bush's oratory skills (being a Brit I can joke about this!) I have few ornaments or pictures; choosing colour schemes and curtains is a nightmare. So how do I make my home feel more feminine without giving the game away to thise who don't know about me?

Is there anyone else who has encountered this problem? Am I being silly even wondering about it?

Also, what do you girls do when dressed at home - if you are not into going out? Do you different things than when dressed in drab? Do your tastes change?

Aaagh! The more I write the sillier it sounds so I'd better stop before I start answering my own questions. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Emma

JennyCD
12-03-2005, 01:10 PM
I just recently moved into my place and haven't done much with it yet. I hope to gradually decorate, but am a total waste when it comes to that sort of thing.

jennig
12-03-2005, 01:42 PM
hi ist funny you brought this up today i was saying to myself my house is starting to look like a girls home i guess my female sid is takeing over my home
is verry girley and i love it and really dont care if anybody that comes over makes the same thought its my home and in the end my life and after all woman do make the home and thier colors are more tastfull

love jennig

Kierci
12-03-2005, 02:14 PM
PURPLE is my sudgestion that color (at least in the states) can go either direction on a whim. thats my 2 cents worth anyways.

Kim E
12-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi Emma ~
I live alone and my apartment is very girly looking. Especially the bedroom and living room, are very feminine. Lace curtains, pastel colors, lots of plants and candles, that type of stuff. The only place that really isn't, is a spare bedroom I use for an office. That's where all the computers, gun collection, car models, pictures, awards and citations, live. Some left over artifacts of a former life. I usually just keep that door closed.

Kim

sherri
12-03-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm not much for frilly - don't care for doilies or lace or fringe or velvet. And I don't like clutter - clutter makes me crazy. Yet my surroundings do matter to me and I enjoy decorating far more than stereotypical males. I read decorating magazines all the time.

I strive for balance with textured walls, muted designer colors offset with trim, rather modernist furnishings, area rugs, interesting art on the walls, nice floral arrangements in arty vases, candles, pretty dinnerware, a fluffy down comforter on the bed in wintertime ... that kind of thing. I prefer plantation shutters or roman shades to fluttery curtains or heavy drapery. The overall effect is, I think, rather gender neutral with subtle feminine undertones.

If you don't know what you like or how, start reading magazines. Clip out what you like and save the clippings in a file folder. Pretty soon the things appropriate for your taste and space will start to come together.

Marlena Dahlstrom
12-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Well decorated, definitely yes. Frilly and girly, no. My taste run toward streamlined and simple, but graceful. Think a less stark version of "Metropolitan Home." (For your UK girls, "Living Etc." is pretty close -- and breaks my heart to see all that stuff that can't easily be shipped to the States.)

sherri
12-04-2005, 12:39 AM
streamlined and simple, but graceful.

That's it in a nutshell. Perfect, Marlena.

Raychel
12-04-2005, 07:58 AM
4 males, 1 female in our house

Except for a few flowers that my wife has in the bathroom, This house is all male. Definitly not much frillies here.

Wendy me
12-04-2005, 08:22 AM
well me and my wife here with the dog and the cat we are pretty femy here and i do most of the house work and add things that i find while out shopping
candles of all kinds of sents are in every room the house is comfy and relaxeing a little pretty never hurt anyone .....

cathy b
12-05-2005, 08:43 AM
how girlie can it be with a carberater in the kitchen.i'll work on it.:rolleyes: