PDA

View Full Version : Educating the masses about CD/TG/TS

Marleena
01-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Thank goodness there are TG groups out there pushing for our rights and educating people. Hopefully some day information is available for all new parents on how to deal with kids that have gender issues. Far too often parents don't know how to deal with it. Too many of the older kids are kicked out of the home simply because they are gender non-conforming. Things have improved but there's still a long way to go.

Your thoughts?

Laura912
01-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Am afraid the thoughts are too introspective as we struggle with the timing of when to tell our son about Laura. There are some very vague clues that he may be interested in CDing also and possibly his son, our grandchild. Such inward focus sort of precludes thinking on a broader scale but I agree that it would be wonderful if the stigma were gone or that such "weirdness" was not associated with our interest.

Regan
01-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Marleena,

I agree we need more education around transgender. Coming out gay is going to be a little easier for me then when I also tell family that I am also transgendered. I also think you are correct that we have a way to go regarding peoples views of how transgender people are perverted. Hopefully groups will start to grow and we can get the message out there.

Angela Campbell
01-01-2013, 06:18 PM
It is difficult to get others to understand when we do not even understand sometimes. There are some who refuse to even admit it is real to be a woman inside of a mans body. Unless it is you it is hard to comprehend. How do we educate others when we are shamed into hiding for the most part? I guess we will have to risk ridicule and bigotry until we are more understood. Maybe the answer is strength in numbers. I am a member of two TG groups.

Marleena
01-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Marleena,

I agree we need more education around transgender. Coming out gay is going to be a little easier for me then when I also tell family that I am also transgendered. I also think you are correct that we have a way to go regarding peoples views of how transgender people are perverted. Hopefully groups will start to grow and we can get the message out there.

Regan you raise a good point there. If you come out as gay most people will be okay with it. If you put a wig and dress on your chances of acceptance are diminished. There's something about a man in a dress that most people cannot grasp.

RADER
01-01-2013, 06:24 PM
I read a story in the paper about a west coast youngster, I think he was in first grade.
He wanted to come to class wearing a dress like his friend wears. He liked it and wanted
to dress like her. Well after some time, the mother gave in and let her son wear a dress from
his sister, two grades older. It was a little large, but he wore it to school.
As soon as school started, the teacher sent the boy to the office, the assistance principal
called the Police, and they came and took the kid home. Now nobody was home at the time, so
the kid wound up at the station.
When the Mother returned, found a note to go to the station, she was in panic mode.
At the station, she got a ticket for child abuse, the boy was sent off to a foster care center.
That night, the Father, A Lawyer, filed suit against the school, and every one in between.
It all came down to that the boy did not fit dress rules of the school. The rules said
that you can wear a modest dress, witch it was, but the school says that he is a boy.
It does not state that a boy can not wear a dress; and if you say only girls can wear a dress,
now you are disobeying the rules of being equal with dress codes between the sexes.
I wish I could find the article, I looked for it, but could not retrieve it.
Rader

PS; The parents had to move to a new school district to enroll him back into school.

Leah Lynn
01-01-2013, 06:26 PM
The information is getting out there, and many parents are aware that children aren't cookiecutter identical. Unfortunately, there are still too many that can't face the reality of their child being different. I was an "embarassment", and know how it feels to be treated as such. Parents need to accept their children as they are, and love them unconditionally.

Nicole Erin
01-02-2013, 02:20 AM
ON some TV shows like Tyra Banks where they often feature TG people - well as we know kids today are raised in front of the TV so now when they get a bit older and see it in real life, they might know but probably do not care.

Beverley Sims
01-02-2013, 02:31 AM
I see acceptance growing exponentially by the day.

Rogina B
01-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Like Beverly,I also see acceptance.By supporting your local "queer kids" support group in any way possible,you can make a big difference locally.Remember,we all fall under the Q umbrella!

kimdl93
01-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Obviously, it helps to have organized efforts to broaden public understanding and to inform parents. Not too many months ago, the NY Times carried a very extensive article on parenting of TG/TS children. So, I know the information is slowly getting out. And I think that the images of CD/TG/TS people as portrayed in the media are gradually becoming more favorable, and less stereotypical. And I think that those of us who can venture out are each contributing a little towards educating the masses...one or two people at a time.