PDA

View Full Version : Yourself in the third person.

I Am Paula
01-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Why do so many of you girls always refer to yourselves in the third person? If I said 'Celeste is going out now', I'd question my own sanity. I am me, not somebody else. Just curious, let me know the rationale.-Celeste

Foxglove
01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't know. I'll have to ask Annabelle.

GaleWarning
01-02-2013, 11:34 AM
It's a way of avoiding responsibility. Anything bad that Clayfish does is not my fault.

suchacutie
01-02-2013, 11:39 AM
For me it's because my gendered selves are very separate and rather distinct. Over these last few years we've discovered the personality differences between my two genders and they are treated as two sepearate persons. So, when I am in male mode my wife and I will talk about Tina, and they will talk about me. It just keeps things in order :)

Joanne f
01-02-2013, 11:39 AM
I am wondering if it has anything to do with the CD versus the TG , as some CDs like to keep the two personality's separate so they will refer to them as a separate person whereas the TG is inclined to think of themselves as one person with a duel identity .

kimdl93
01-02-2013, 11:46 AM
I agree...it seems a little odd to refer to oneself in the third person. I do not. I am me...regardless of how I happen to be dressed. Of course, I have the advantage in that my given name is Kimberly, so I don't have to differentiate between myself en femme and my self otherwise.

Angela Campbell
01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Ellen would never refer to herself that way......just sayin.

Eryn
01-02-2013, 11:52 AM
To me, it is just a convenient way to indicate that I am talking about myself in an "en femme" state.

Angela Campbell
01-02-2013, 12:10 PM
To me, it is just a convenient way to indicate that I am talking about myself in an "en femme" state.

Ellen agrees completely.

lauren_m
01-02-2013, 12:10 PM

Yeah, what Eryn said. I don't think many of use the third person in everyday conversation, but when we we're discussing TG issues and need to differentiate between our guy and girl sides/states/presentations, I find that third person is the easiest way to do so.

I Am Paula
01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Celeste have you seen my hairbrush?
Do you mean my hairbrush?
No, mine.
No, you can borrow yours if you can't find mine.
I'm not looking for yours, I'm looking for the other mine.
Can't they both be both our mines?
Not if they're mine, or yours...
Could it be that we only have one hairbrush.
No, you have one, and I have one, so that's only one.
But it's mine.
Which mine?
-See what I mean?- LOL- Celeste

kimdl93
01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
We wants it. We needs it. Must have the precious.
They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, false!

stephNE
01-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Steph doesn't like talking in third person- ?????

CassandraSmith
01-02-2013, 01:01 PM
I guess for me, I really do feel a split personality thing. It's part of why I know I'm really different. That part never really troubled me at all but then I was pursuing a career in counseling and knew lots of really different people that made me feel very ordinary at times.

Kate Simmons
01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Evidently, many of us are followers of Victor Von Doom.:)

Karren H
01-02-2013, 02:08 PM
I've caught myself doing that a few times and it just seemed odd.... like talking about someone else..... behind her back.. to her face. lol.

Rachel137
01-02-2013, 02:18 PM
I do this a lot and so does my g/f.
It is weird but Rachel is the girl side and my girl personality. I mean in some ways she is a separate person. She is not the "guy" me but the "girl" me.
I know it sounds crazy but it is hard for me to be both at the same time. I am either in my Rachel "head" or in my guy "head". Sometimes i can actually feel the transition.
I accept this now and understand it better as time goes on. I only wish i was brave enough to allow myself to have my girl side many years ago.
But better late than never, I guess.

Sallee
01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
maybe sometimes when I am drab and shopping or planning for Sallee but not when I am Sallee. Then the other guy is 3rd person.

Jaymees22
01-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Oh no, there's a third person I can barely deal with the two of me as it is!!! Jaymee

mariehart
01-02-2013, 03:05 PM
It used to puzzle me when I first met Trannies. One would say as he got ready that he was going to take Pauline here or there and of course once Pauline was in place. Pauline did all the thinking for herself. Others acted similarly. It was strange to me back then and now because I'm the same person dressed or not. Although more realistically I allow myself to be myself when dressed as a woman. As a man I'm playing the role of a man, not altogether successfully.

I'm sure there's a psychological explanation for it. Maybe it marks the difference between TV/CD and TS?

Beverley Sims
01-02-2013, 03:09 PM
It is done to differentiate between male and female identities I would assume.

Amanda_P
01-02-2013, 03:10 PM
I always call Amanda my evil twin.

Michelle 2
01-02-2013, 03:37 PM
That is funny Amanda because I always refer to Michelle as my evil twin also. She does like to be more adventuous too.

Angela Campbell
01-02-2013, 03:38 PM
That is funny Amanda because I always refer to Michelle as my evil twin also. She does like to be more adventuous too.

wow! What could be more adventurous than deciding to go out wearing womens clothes? LOL

Alice Torn
01-02-2013, 03:40 PM
They're coming to take me away haha hoho hee hee!

Jocelyn Quivers
01-02-2013, 03:45 PM
It's my legal loophole way of avoiding responsibility for any ill-advised statements or pictures I post in the event a perspective employer has concerns or issues about what I post. For example "Future job candidate many of the statements which you have posted on the forum you participate concerns us." That's when I use the "hey that was Jocelyn, not me(male version) card/loophole.:2c:

April_Ligeia
01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't know why but on Christmas my gf gave me a makeup mirror and said, "This is for April." Maybe because once we choose a name, it's fun to use it? It is an interesting observation, maybe just one of those things some pepple do and others don't, like wearing red lipstick.

Shelly Preston
01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
It can be useful for those shopping in drab with their partner as they can refer to their female side without arousing suspicion especially if they have kids who dont know.

e.g. Do you think Shelly would like this blouse

Kerigirl2009
01-02-2013, 04:42 PM
I do it so others will know I am talking about Keri and not talking about Kevin, otherwise it could get confusing.

LOL

Duana
01-02-2013, 04:44 PM
I do it. Primarily, it is just to convey which one of me is doing something e.g. "Duana's going out tonight." shows that I'm going out dressed. But I do think of her as a bit of a different person than my guy side. Not like total multiple personality disorder but some :)

avant1465
01-02-2013, 05:05 PM
This thread gave me a flashback to that "Seinfeld" episode wherein there was a guy who referred to himself in the 3rd person ("Jimmy, this..." and "Jimmy that....") and, naturally, that quirk in references was taken to its comedic extreme.....

eluuzion
01-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Okey Dokey, here is TMI (too much info) on the subject :D

Me, myself, I, and she asked Eluuzion and she said the term for that is illeism (act of referring to oneself in the third person (degree). The “meaning” depends upon the circumstances in which it is used. It is a popular approach used by authors in text media. It is a common well-adjusted stage seen in 2-4 year old children with “invisible friends”. It can become a tool used by adults to accomplish various objectives. Etc...etc...

There are disorders (NPD) narcissistic personality disorder, schizophrenia as well as a few others where the patient can display this behavior. There are also people that display this behavior that have no confirmed clinical diagnosis of any disorder.

There are explanations that lack the magical and mystical romance of fairy dust interventions altering cognitive processes. :D
They provide logical and document able explanations of personal agendas and creative strategies of people trying to ultimately erase the connection between their actions and their accountability for them.

It takes many forms and varies in intensity from basic concealment to the creation of an "invisible friend" that is capable of independent thought and actions out of their control.

It is all about creating distance from your actions by shifting blame away from yourself in order to escape the guilt and consequences of your behavior.

In this case, the ultimate objective might be to create a game with a rule that states that any time you put on a dress, you become exempt from any ownership of your actions or the consequences that always follow. It is much more “real” and entertaining when played on the internet than it is playing it in the F2F world of “real life”.

"It wasn't me...it was her".

Just another personal "theory" that may be applicable to a few, many or nobody.

I predict it won’t be a popular one on this forum:heehee:

It is not specific to crossdressing. It can relate to many issues in life. I am just sharing thoughts, not pointing a finger at anyone.:hugs:

HaveFun/BeHappy,

Me, Myself, I, her ...and eluuzion
:love:

Bree Wagner
01-02-2013, 05:59 PM

Yep! I'll add another comment of agreement. Well said Eryn.

celeste26
01-02-2013, 06:26 PM
I dream in third person, I never looking through my own eyes but see things happening in 3rd person

Krististeph
01-02-2013, 07:21 PM
A little affectation is all, for me at least. Reminiscent of grandeur, such as the queen: "We are not amused".

RenneB
01-02-2013, 07:30 PM
I've always led a multicompartmentalized life.... A group of work friends would know me as one person - straight forward hard working, then I had a group of friends that I would meet up with after work and I would be a different person - hard charging fun to be around, then I would have this other group "online", where my inner self comes out to be completly different than the other two... And never can any of these groups know about the other or the world as I know it would come to a crashing halt.

Someday, when I get a whole bunch of zeros in my checking account I'll let me be me and send care to the wind about the walls that I've built up over the years...

So that's why...

Renne.....

AllieSF
01-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Yep! I'll add another comment of agreement. Well said Eryn.

I am that way too. I use it for convenience and maybe just being too lazy to fully spell or word it out in text, or maybe to say "yes, Allie will be going out tomorrow night". I also may use it when talking to someone who knows Allie when we are in front of people who know Al. That way we can have a conversation about this side of my or our lives without really revealing anything to those around us, including family.

I also get that funny look on my face or in my mind when someone talks and writes only in the third person when referring to themselves. Here is a great Seinfeld episode that illustrates it well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0nG1OfUc

Debra Russell
01-02-2013, 07:53 PM
...well.... because................yeah thats right it's me Debra

PretzelGirl
01-02-2013, 08:59 PM
I go with the masses. I often state things like "I was in Sue mode". This doesn't refer to identities or personalities as there is only me. But just a description of my presentation.

velece
01-02-2013, 09:36 PM
I don't shift between id's, doesn't matter if I am dressed or not, in my head I am mostly Velece, that's who I would choose to be if I could 24/7. I started just dressing at home for myself, but soon realized that it was much more than that. Too old to transition, so I just enjoy what I can.
Velece

Edyta_C
01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
It may have something to do with how much one leans toward TS. At least for me, once I accepted that I was TS, then my two selves reintegrated into one persona. I am both now at the same time. Perhaps other that are more just on the CD side do see themselves as two persona.

Edy

Maria 60
01-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Yes I guess your right, but I would not feel comfortable at the store if my wife would say do you want this dress or this color. Sounds a little better when she says, do you think Maria would like this dress. I do relate Maria as a third person maybe it's time to change that.

AllieSF
01-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Maria, why do you feel that way in the first place? Are you worried maybe that your wife would accidentally out you to someone nearby or a sales agent. It is wonderful that your wife is on your side and maybe her example of not worrying what she says when out with you is because she is comfortable with who you are and how you present yourself. You could learn from her acceptance and then make it your own. That may help with that change you are considering.

Leah Lynn
01-02-2013, 10:02 PM
I think of myself as Leah, and often use male pronouns to refer to my other identity. He is functional; he has the job. After work, I take over. I wish I could transition and leave that identity behind.

Rhonda Darling
01-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Riddle me this: Why do politicians always say "we" when referring to themselves?
I'm not comparing us to politicians, just pointing out that there are some strange conventions out there.

So sayeth Rhonda. :-)

justmetoo
01-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Yeah, what Eryn said. I don't think many of use the third person in everyday conversation, but when we we're discussing TG issues and need to differentiate between our guy and girl sides/states/presentations, I find that third person is the easiest way to do so.
I do this, too. For example, if I'm talking to my sisters or mother or someone how else do I distinguish between me as my usual drab male self vs. me as my femme side? It's all me, but I don't know a better way to make that distinction when it is needed for clarity.

DianeDeBris
01-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Roses are red, violets are blue;
I'm schizophrenic and so am I.

AmyGaleRT
01-03-2013, 03:09 AM
I think both Eryn and Maria have good points as to usage. When I'm conversing here, I will sometimes use "Amy" as a shortcut for saying "me-as-Amy." So for instance, saying, "One day, Amy will walk the streets unafraid..." is like saying, "One day, I will walk the streets as Amy unafraid..." Or saying "I would take Amy to the top of Mount Evans" is actually more like saying "I would go, dressed as Amy, to the top of Mount Evans." (I would, but that drive is a white-knuckler even in drab...and my fiancee was having breathing trouble even at the level of Summit Lake, about a thousand feet below the peak...)

When we're in public, say, browsing through the women's section at Walmart, my fiancee and I will say things like "This might look good on Amy," or something like that. We know what we mean by it, but referring to Amy in the third-person feminine keeps us from accidentally outing me to whoever might be near enough to hear. :)

- Amy

Cheryl T
01-03-2013, 05:45 AM
I noticed that people speak that way but never really paid attention to it. I know I don't think that way and don't refer to myself in the third person. Thanks for bringing that to light.

Debra Russell
01-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Roses are red, violets are blue;
I'm schizophrenic and so am I.

Now thats funny :raisedeyebrow: