PDA

View Full Version : Next...please

I Am Paula
01-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Of the thngs I see coming up over and over on this forum, I've really liked most of the answers, most recently the 'third person' discussion, so here's my next one. I see alot of the ladies here bending themselves into really strange contortions in photos. For example, GG's don't bend there legs as soon as someone points a camera at them. Even old pin up photography, which featured some pretty strange poses, didn't have the butt-jutting, and chest protruding I see here. There seems to be no shortage of images of GG's on the internet that we can't study some, and come up with a more natural pose. Where do you come up with your poses? Is there a reason behind looking like Elaine Benes dancing? Once again, just curious-Celeste

RADER
01-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Maybe some want to look, even for a moment, more Feminine that they look.
Trying to look better is great, but like you say, Some of the Poses are a bit
unnatural.
Rader

Sandra
01-03-2013, 02:07 PM
IMHO it seems that is how a lot of cders see GGs.

2B Natasha
01-03-2013, 02:18 PM
IMHO it seems that is how a lot of cders see GGs.

I'll throw my two cents in here as well. First of I agree with Sandra. It is how some see GG. I think the other thing that is going on here is that a vast majority of the CDers here are the star's of their own reality show. To that end I think there is a great deal of commonality between a large portion of the CDers here and everywhere that is allot closer to Drag Queens then GG. That being that they are a mire caricature of women and not a true representation of them. Look at the apparel, the shoes, the makeup. You don't see that over the top look out in general society. That's not to say that it is wrong or bad. It just IS. The same goes for photo's.

Cheers

Lady Catherine
01-03-2013, 03:16 PM
I have often wondered that myself. I don't judge, but have often thought it comical.

Kate Simmons
01-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Well, Celeste, did you expect that CDers would NOT tend to be hams? Some think they have to strike "kissy kissy" poses every time they take a pic. I guess you'd just call it taking photographic license. ;):)

JenniferR771
01-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Actually, I have been trying to improve my poses. I look a bit plain and awkward. I am trying to imitate movie star photos and catalogs. There are plenty of poses on here that could be improved with a bit of forethought and better lighting.
And there are some that seem to have an excellent grasp to how to pose in a professional manner--I only wish I could do that.
I try to have plenty of light from above and some from the side. I try to turn sideways...legs crossed...shoulders at about a 30 degree angle...chin pointed right...eyes on camera...camera above eye level...no distracting background. So much to learn--part art--part science. Naturally, you need great clothes, hair and makeup.

The girl from Minnesota does a nice job. And Sherlynn has an artist's eye for this.

Everyone--who do you think shows good poses in photographs?
Actually most of the photos in today's Photo section reflect good efforts to have a nice pose. Nice going girls.

April_Ligeia
01-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Personally, besides liking to play with clothes, makeup and wigs, I like to play with photoshop. I am not really concerned with a realistic representation of myself, I think of a profile picture as a little art project. That probably does put me more in the drag queen category, but I think drag queens are awesome.

Jessica Who
01-03-2013, 04:02 PM
I think there's an array of poses for photos. When I had my professional shoot, many of the poses were kinda uncomfortable but ended up looking really good, and they were dictated to me by the photographer.

Angela Campbell
01-03-2013, 04:09 PM
i can add that it is very difficult to get a good picture anyway, and I have tried lots of poses, angles and all sort of things and maybe 1 out of 100 is good enough to let anyone see.

ReineD
01-03-2013, 04:18 PM
I see alot of the ladies here bending themselves into really strange contortions in photos. For example, GG's don't bend there legs as soon as someone points a camera at them. Even old pin up photography, which featured some pretty strange poses, didn't have the butt-jutting, and chest protruding I see here.

Good question. Also, there are a lot of facial contortions as well, some that look like they're sucking on lemons.

But I have to admit that I did the same thing. A few years ago I asked my SO to teach me how to walk like a guy. I wanted to know how difficult it is to adopt the mannerisms of the opposite sex. Well, my efforts were laughable. My movements were so exaggerated, based on the things that my SO was telling me to do, that honestly I looked like John Wayne who had just gotten off his horse after 3 days of constant riding. lol

It was much better when I was just myself, and walked naturally with just a slight effort to not sway.

So it makes sense that people contort their bodies and faces when learning how to adopt a feminine pose. And honestly, I'm a GG and I have a hard time adopting the poses that models use. They manage to do it so much more naturally than I do. I guess this is why they are professionals and I am not. :)

AllieSF
01-03-2013, 05:08 PM
For those of you who do not know Elaine Benes from the Seinfeld sitcom, here is her referenced dancing performance! Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xi4O1yi6b0

I am with you in wondering about poses, puckering, and overly serious poses. Very few actually look any good in the final analysis. The ones that can pull them off do a great job. Maybe we just need to understand what are the fine differences that make it all work. I was just reading a fashion magazine where they said a bent knee (probably meaning, slightly bent) will add something good to some poses. I don't mind a pic with puckered lips, but not every pic in the series being done that way. They don't really bother me, but do distract from the enjoyment I get when looking at others' pics. Sometimes, I am just curious about what does this person look like without the funny pose or the puckered lips, or the "How do you like my dress" when the person is sitting scrunched up on a chair, stairs or bed. Though the pics that way may look terrific, I really can't say much about a dress that I can only see about 12 inches of!

MsKimiko
01-03-2013, 05:25 PM
i get a lot of my pose ideas from modelling photos whether they be shoot or candid.. they make me feel femme even though most girls you see on the street have bad posture and stand as males do. i like to emulate a more picturesque woman

Barbara Ella
01-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Practice, practice, practice. Not everyone is a gem, and what Marylin Monroe made look great at least has to be attempted once or twice (even if they end up in the recycle bin). As for too much makeup. Some of us really need a lot to let who we feel inside come out, and some of us (self) need a hell of a lot, (just take a gander at my boy v girl pic) so no you don't see it in public, but I would not want to see the result using less.

Barbara

Stephanie Miller
01-03-2013, 05:46 PM
I do it because its a nice change to see these photos of myself rather than the usual ones I see of myself on the post office bulletin boards :D

becky77
01-03-2013, 08:19 PM
I can't help feel this thread is another thinly disguised excuse to poke fun at people.
Shouldn't we come on here to be free to express ourselves, my worry is that people will not join in for fear of ridicule, they have enough of that to face in everyday life.
So someone dose a daft pose? Don't reply then, that hurts no ones feelings.

And to answer the question, yes GG do pose in bizarre positions all the time in photo shoots, with all kinds of outlandish outfits and looks. Do they go out looking like that and suddenly pull strange poses for a picture? of course not they are two different scenarios.
Most of the pictures I see are done in a photo shoot style and I doubt most of those people would pose like that in a normal picture situation. Some on here have no interest in going out and passing, they just want to have fun and maybe look glamorous, it doesn't mean they think that's how GG act in real life.
Of course if someone is striking an over the top pose and then asks if they are passable, then that's another matter entirely.

Leah Lynn
01-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't have anyone available to take candid photos. So... using a digital Kodak with a 10 second timer definately hinders the ability to get into a decent pose prior to shutter release. Having arthritis makes some movements difficult in such a short time and being hindered with an old MALE body is enough to make any photo of me laughable.

I have not posted my photos to be entered in the online beauty pageant, but rather to prove I exist.

kimdl93
01-03-2013, 08:31 PM
IMHO, some of the poses and facial expressions, puckered lips in particular, are a bit over the top, rather like a caricature of femininity. But to each their own, eh?

PretzelGirl
01-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Good question. Also, there are a lot of facial contortions as well, some that look like they're sucking on lemons.

Isn't duckface an "in" thing now? :heehee:

I think I spent too much time in the military. Always at attention. So sometimes the opposite is true and a little loosening up is in order.

Ariamythe
01-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Isn't duckface an "in" thing now? :heehee:
Ugh. Please, no. I see enough of that on Facebook. :doh:

ReineD
01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
I can't help feel this thread is another thinly disguised excuse to poke fun at people.
Shouldn't we come on here to be free to express ourselves, my worry is that people will not join in for fear of ridicule, they have enough of that to face in everyday life.
So someone dose a daft pose? Don't reply then, that hurts no ones feelings.

I don't see it this way at all. There have been quite a few threads from people who would like more honest comments as feedback, which is hard to do. How do you tell someone (to put it nicely) that the effect is not what they had hoped it would be? And what do you tell them if they ask for specific details? I would not know how to say that they look as if they are making a sour face, or that it looks as if they need to go to the bathroom. I think it is safer discussing something like this here, where no one is targeted specifically. Then maybe it will help some members try to be more natural in their poses.

Of course, we're only discussing the extreme poses and facial contortions here, not the natural or unaffected, yet feminine poses that members do strike.

Tracii G
01-04-2013, 12:10 AM
If you are 12-22 duckface is in why? IDK.
The peace fingers thing I don't get either.Facing the front of the hand in Japan is a derogatory gang thing from what I am told.Again why? IDK.
Some pose in odd ways thinking it is more femme I guess.I won't judge because it wouldn't be fair of me.
I just don't know how to pose so I don't try.
There are a lot here that really know how to pose and look fabulous.

AmyGaleRT
01-04-2013, 12:18 AM
I don't try to do really "extreme" poses in my pictures, just kind of stand or sit in place, trying to remember to keep my frame up and figure out how to hold my head and my hands. The two "floor" shots from my NYE photoset were the first I'd done, and even then, I wasn't trying to be extreme, just trying to make sure I was positioned OK and not to get my gown all crinkled up.

Also, I was working on my smile. It helped to tell the camera, "Hello, my sisters!", just before it fired. :)

I took over a hundred pictures to get the few I posted here, too. I just put the camera on 10-second repeat timer and let it keep going while I tried different things. Not all of them worked...

- Amy

ReineD
01-04-2013, 12:29 AM
The peace fingers thing I don't get either.Facing the front of the hand in Japan is a derogatory gang thing from what I am told.Again why?

Like a Bassnectar family photo? Cause it's a cool thing to do!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-R59m4Qym0B8/T-un9GrZq4I/AAAAAAAAAP4/g2n8kk9M87U/s1600/family-photo-edc-vegas_bassnectar.jpg

They were in Nashville on NYE and one of my sons went to the concert. Apparently it was awesome.

Beverley Sims
01-04-2013, 05:20 AM

I do not feel we are poking fun at people but if someone makes a comment about "over the top" type actions we can all look at ourselves and think maybe it is.
Behavior is then modified. (Due to a comment no smileys are included any more.) they were considered over the top usage by me... So! Out the door.

becky77
01-04-2013, 06:01 AM
I do not feel we are poking fun at people but if someone makes a comment about "over the top" type actions we can all look at ourselves and think maybe it is.
Behavior is then modified. (Due to a comment no smileys are included any more.) they were considered over the top usage by me... So! Out the door.

I'm not saying I don't agree, some of the poses are odd to say the least but I am worried that there has been several threads of late picking on peoples 'ways' from use of smilies, to stuff like hun or sweetie and now poses. I'm just urging caution before it goes too far. I do agree with your comment you placed on another thread "as long as we do not get carried away with our own beliefs they widen our perspective of others views"
I have already had some private messages from people that agreed with what I said but feel too intimidated to post that they do, thats not a good thing.

And Beverly just for you :danceman: embrace the smilies again!

*ROXY*
01-04-2013, 06:15 AM
I'm not saying I don't agree, some of the poses are odd to say the least but I am worried that there has been several threads of late picking on peoples 'ways' from use of smilies, to stuff like hun or sweetie and now poses. I'm just urging caution before it goes too far. I do agree with your comment you placed on another thread "as long as we do not get carried away with our own beliefs they widen our perspective of others views"
I have already had some private messages from people that agreed with what I said but feel too intimidated to post that they do, thats not a good thing.

OK, lets get real here. This is a forum. It covers a broad aspect of society, some nice, some not, some honest, some who will happily blow smoke up where it shouldn't be. There isn't a forum in the world that doesn't have posts that someone will take offence at. If you target an individual and single them out then this is classed as bullying, that should not be tolerated on any forum and the moderators do a good job of keeping that in check. Let them do the moderating and let everyone else get on with having opinions. If they're out of line it'll be dealt with. It'd be wonderful it everyone was happy clappy but that simply doesn't happen in real life. I like the balance this forum puts out there and noone should be lambasted for saying what they think. That is all, have a nice day y'all.

~Joanne~
01-04-2013, 11:22 AM
I have to agree with Becky, This may have a reverse effect on people posting pictures. I pose a bit, I just can't stand there and let the camera take a picture of me standing straight and stiff like a board. I can't think of anyone that knowingly has their picture taken doing this either. Yeah, they may not get bent like a pretzel but they just don't stand there.

Without some examples, no one will know what is considered "over the top". I don't do my face for various reasons but I don't think bending a knee is over the top. Of all the pictures I have seen since joining the forum, I can't think of one picture that screamed out "geez, what is she doing". I look at the picture to see the outfits and how well other girls put themselves together, offer what little advice I may have, or an opinion, but not to judge them on a pucker or whatnot.

I agree though that there is a lot of "smoke blowing" though. I personally want truthful input as hard as it may be.

reb.femme
01-04-2013, 02:27 PM
And to answer the question, yes GG do pose in bizarre positions all the time in photo shoots, with all kinds of outlandish outfits and looks.

Cue one very overly pouty Victoria Beckham with ridiculous knee forward pose whenever a camera appears. I agree with both sides here (fence sitting liberal eh!) but I just look past some of the contortions. Now the inner fear will overtake me and I'll have to go check all the previous pictures that I've posted. :o

Rebecca

April_Ligeia
01-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Thinking about this idea some more, I realize that I don't think just a photo of me expresses what is going on inside my head. I would guess that whatever pose, makeup, etc. someone is doing or eearing in their photo is intended to express the way they feel, in addition to how they look. I personally enjoy seeing how the forum members express themselves. We are not all emulating women as they appear in a business setting, nor do I feel we should, unless that is how someone wants to present.

ReineD
01-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Without some examples, no one will know what is considered "over the top".

"Over the top" is using poses that people don't adopt naturally, in their day-to-day lives. High fashion models can pull it off since they're pros (plus they have the youth, bodies, and the faces that the rest of us mortals don't have), but when regular people like GGs or CDers try to emulate them, it looks forced and contorted. I'm referring to a scrunched down look with knees together, hips jutting out at unnatural angles, legs too far apart, etc. High fashion models who adopt these exaggerated poses know how to breathe, they know how to relax muscles when they do this, and if a mere mortal tries it and doesn't pull it off, it shows. I'm a GG, and for fun once I tried the exaggerated poses while my SO took the picture. I have to say that I didn't pull it off either. lol

Standing up nicely in a feminine position is good, as is sitting femininely with knees together or crossed ankles while wearing a skirt. I mean, the poses don't have to be "blah" or masculine looking. You know the saying, "Less is more"? This applies to poses as well as makeup. :)

Here is a Jpeg of bad poses I got from someone's blog who is a photographer. The only pose in there that I think is OK is the fourth at the top from the left, except her knees are too close together and even this one looks as if she might have to go to the bathroom.

http://naymarie.com/photography/wp-content/uploads/poses-bad.jpg

~Joanne~
01-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm a GG, and for fun once I tried the exaggerated poses while my SO took the picture. I have to say that I didn't pull it off either. lol

I know your a GG silly ;) and where is this picture now? lol I'd like to see it ;)

As for the picture, I am guilty of poses #1, #2, #3, #4, and just recently #5. I rarely do sitting pictures though I have thought about doing some.

ReineD
01-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I know your a GG silly ;) and where is this picture now? lol I'd like to see it ;)

I made my SO delete it from the camera. I was too embarrassed. lol.

Now ... if I had pulled it off, I probably would have posted it somewhere. :D

Edit
Here's the photographer's blog that I got the picture from. She or he has examples of good poses and bad ones, with some written explanation. To the unpractised eye it may look as if the differences are subtle and maybe they are when it comes to the young, gorgeous professional models, but you would never see the second set of poses in a high end fashion catalog, not with the hips jutted out like that. And like I said earlier, if a non-professional tries these poses and doesn't pull it off, it shows big time.

http://naymarie.com/photography/tidbit-tuesday-poses/

Still, if someone is doing this just for fun I guess it is OK. But if they want to pull off a certain look, like looking sexy, then the exaggerated poses don't accomplish this (if they don't pull it off). Looking at the second set of pics more closely, I notice that the emphasis in many of them is definitely on the boobs or the butt, and this is what would make a pro model not look so pro.

I'm saying this not having seen your pics or anyone else's nor with anyone in mind, so I don't feel as if I am targeting you or anyone else.

Lorileah
01-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I think there's an array of poses for photos. When I had my professional shoot, many of the poses were kinda uncomfortable but ended up looking really good, and they were dictated to me by the photographer.

:yt: The photographer who did my early shoots did professional portfolios for people who wanted to get into movies (yeah THOSE movies) and sometimes I swore he was trying to get me into those poses. It was often that he would rearrange me a fraction of an inch or a lean or twist. But they always came out perfect. Two advantages. He had taken thousands of photos and he could SEE what the photo would look like, unlike when so many here set a timer and run to get into place. That I think is why so many look awkward. we lack the advantage of actually seeing the frame the pose the tilt the look because you have 3 seconds. Your other choice is to have a SO take it for you then it looks like a family snapshot that does not flatter you either.

When I first started I was like many here wanting to present as much as possible as a woman. I was told women don't do this or women do that. Such as women always point their toes , no they don't. Or a woman always places her hands on her hips so her thumbs are in front, no they don't. So many times I think people here try and do all the "Women do" things too. Some actually develop one pose and they do it forever.

If I want perfect glam photos I hire a professional. If I want good snapshots, I try and just smile and look like i am having fun.

I Am Paula
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
I've been away from my computer since I posted this yesterday. Upon rereading my own words I can see how a few people may feel I was poking fun at them. I am deeply sorry if anyone was offended, or thought I was in any way ridiculing anyone. Some times in the course of typing something, the mind goes off on a wierd tangent, so I usually re-read before posting. this was not the case yesterday, and I felt bad all day that I sounded heavy handed.
I enjoy everybodies pictures, and it's great that a forum like this exists to share feelings, thoughts, emotions, and of course, pictures. I think all of you are beautiful, and should never be ashamed at your pictures, poses, subject matter, cause it's the free exchange that makes this forum the best one out there.
Once again, my intent was not to belittle anybody.-Celeste

Lorileah
01-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Here's the photographer's blog that I got the picture from. She or he has examples of good poses and bad ones,

Um....they are all bad unless you are looking for bizarre. The three she liked? Strange and unnatural. But face it, no one stands in their underwear pointing to the right either. What is that first picture? Walk like an Egyptian? :P

AllyCDTV
01-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Here is a Jpeg of bad poses I got from someone's blog who is a photographer. The only pose in there that I think is OK is the fourth at the top from the left, except her knees are too close together and even this one looks as if she might have to go to the bathroom.

http://naymarie.com/photography/wp-content/uploads/poses-bad.jpg
That is the classic "S" curve pose. It is a fairly easy pose to pull off and generally looks pretty good when not overdone (which as you point out, is overdone a bit in this example). You can pull it off not only in standing pose but also in a prone position. It is so much better than just standing there at attention. There is something about the S curve which naturally looks sexy not only in people but also in inanimate objects. You can notice it in things like cars and even bridges.

paulinescotlandcd
01-04-2013, 05:58 PM
I buy a lot of Coast dresses so tend to steal my poses from their website.

NicoleScott
01-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Some poses of models are bad enough. Thank goodness REAL people don't walk like runway models.

Eryn
01-04-2013, 06:50 PM
In male mode I really don't care what people see in pictures. After all, it's just a guy in drab clothes. I've probably had my picture taken in drab 50 times in the past decade.

Now, en femme is a different story. My wife and I take lots of pictures just to document various outings, my outfits, and so I can see how I am perceived by others. This leads to actually caring about how I look in those pictures. Suddenly there are decisions to be made. How do I hold my head? Which way do I point my glasses to avoid reflections? Tilt or no tilt? Smile "Mona Lisa," medium or big? And then there are my arms and hands to worry about, then my hips, legs, feet, etc. Point a camera at a GG and most will immediately adopt an attractive pose, apparently learned through practice. I just haven't had the time to figure out exactly how to do it! Still, it's part of the exploration that makes being TG so much fun.

Megan Thomas
01-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Great thread and interesting range of responses. It reminds me of a TV girl I know of who was always posing for the camera at various local (mostly) adult social gatherings in the classic "butt-jutting" pose. Personally I found it a bit weird but each to their own and I never said anything to her. What it reminded me of was how peacocks display their plumage to attract a mate, and in her way she was emphasising her butt and making it look "offered" to anyone who saw the photo - such was her intent to attract a mate for physical fun and games with it.

Again, just one display of the diverse group of people gathered under the "T" umbrella...

~Joanne~
01-04-2013, 11:09 PM
I made my SO delete it from the camera. I was too embarrassed. lol.

Now ... if I had pulled it off, I probably would have posted it somewhere. :D

We'll have to ask your SO sometime if you pulled it off or not ;) your such a party pooper sometimes lol

Edit
Here's the photographer's blog that I got the picture from. She or he has examples of good poses and bad ones, with some written explanation. To the unpractised eye it may look as if the differences are subtle and maybe they are when it comes to the young, gorgeous professional models, but you would never see the second set of poses in a high end fashion catalog, not with the hips jutted out like that. And like I said earlier, if a non-professional tries these poses and doesn't pull it off, it shows big time.

http://naymarie.com/photography/tidbit-tuesday-poses/

Still, if someone is doing this just for fun I guess it is OK. But if they want to pull off a certain look, like looking sexy, then the exaggerated poses don't accomplish this (if they don't pull it off). Looking at the second set of pics more closely, I notice that the emphasis in many of them is definitely on the boobs or the butt, and this is what would make a pro model not look so pro.

I'm saying this not having seen your pics or anyone else's nor with anyone in mind, so I don't feel as if I am targeting you or anyone else.

I didn't notice that the first time around. Your absolutely correct, the poses surely do emphasize the butt and boobs. I don't think I try for that when doing my pics :) So I guess I am more to the " just not trying to look stiff as a board" side. I may be wrong but.....lol For the record, I never felt targeted, nor did I think anyone else was ;)