PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

kimdl93
01-03-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm working out of town this week, and forced to dress en drab from 8-5. So this evening I got a little girl time in, fully en femme, in a mauve sweater and jeans, and the usual accoutrements. I made a quick trip to the local mall to see if there were any good after Christmas sales - meh. And then came back to the Panera near my hotel for a late dinner.

I must say that I seem to have blended in just fine, despite my towering over 6'4" w/heels. but that's not the interesting part. I was the last person in the restaurant. When I finished my meal, I got up, bid the staff good night and began to walk back to my hotel, less than a block away. About half way there as I thought about getting my room pass card I realized "NO PURSE!!!" I quickly turned around and got to Panera after they'd locked the door. Fortunately, they were just beginning to clean up and let me in immediately, and I explained I'd left my purse behind. the manager turned to one of the cleaning crew and said"She left her purse. They quickly retrieved it for me. I thanked them again, and as I walked out, the manager said, "Good night, Miss!"

OK, for starters I was relieved to have my purse, car keys, credit cards and ID back! Whew! And second, I really loved being consistently referred to as "she", "miss" and "ma'm".

And I'm glad I didn't have to go back there tomorrow am to retrieve my purse in male mode!

ReineD
01-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Phew! :)

Now if you don't mind me picking your brain, why wouldn't you want to go back tomorrow in male mode? My SO told me the same thing once. In male mode he actually ran into someone at a restaurant that s/he had only seen while in girl mode before, and this person recognized my SO even in male mode. My SO did not enjoy that at all but couldn't tell me why. Is it your male self who would be embarrassed because "men aren't supposed to wear dresses"? Or do you not want to shatter your passing-mode for the next time you go there dressed? Or do you feel as if you are betraying Kim if the manager should see her in male mode?

janet54
01-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Kim. So glad things did work out for you and you got your purse back. Good for you.

kimdl93
01-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Honestly, I didn't give it a lot of thought until you asked. I suppose it might have been the both to some degree. I would hope they'd confirm my identity...with my photo ID before giving me back my purse. So i would have been acknowledging my little secret to the morning staff. i dont think that really would bother me at all at this point.

Also, i don't think I'm too wrapped up in the notion that I pass...I really assume that when someone refers to as miss or she, i assume they are being courteous, despite the obvious, no matter how much i might like to believe otherwise.

when i think about it, quite a few people know me in both modes...including my wife, daughter, a few neighbors and a few local merchants. and a couple weeks ago I had a nice long conversation with the young lady working the desk at this Marriott after she had visited with me in previous times in male modes. I guess in that case it was more of a coming out.

In the end it really wouldn't bother me much, but it was something to write about!

Barbara Ella
01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Kim, glad you were able to retrieve your purse without much hassle, and were also able to validate once again that most people really don't care, and are interested in doing their job and helping whenever they can with whoever.

Have a good night miss.

Barbara

PretzelGirl
01-04-2013, 12:05 AM
That could have been a very difficult situation. Without your ID, would the hotel staff give you a new card?

My take on the leaving it en femme and retrieving it en homme goes to a recent story. I had shopped at a local Maurices en femme for Christmas and apparently more than I thought. I needed one last Christmas present and I knew they had it. I really didn't have time to dress, so I stopped on the way home from work. When I got to the register, the SA said "Are you back for more XXXX? You are becoming quite the regular.". And at first I realized it was my first time shopping there en homme and then I realized I didn't care what just happened. So we talked it up quite a bit and I left with a big smile. So I guess for me, being recognized didn't bug me a bit. Would I have felt that way thinking about it as a What If type of thought? I don't know.

Beverley Sims
01-04-2013, 05:54 AM
The logistics of that onus of proof without your purse back at the hotel and next day retrieval could have been interesting but not insurmountable.

stephNE
01-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Hi Kim, I am so glad all worked out well. This is one of my biggest fears. Every time I go out and I am continually checking for my keys.

Claire Cook
01-04-2013, 08:57 AM
OK, for starters I was relieved to have my purse, car keys, credit cards and ID back! Whew! And second, I really loved being consistently referred to as "she", "miss" and "ma'm".

Been there, done that. So for thirds, let's be thankful that there are kind and considerate folks out there!

Sara Jessica
01-04-2013, 09:04 AM
I guess that is a big fear of mine, leaving a purse behind. For those of us who are not presenting as female full time, carrying a purse is not necessarily second nature so it would be an easy mistake to make.

I did it once at Macy's during my first DLC IIRC. We were in the shoe department (surprise, huh?) and I had left my purse on a chair for only a few minutes. When I realized I didn't have it on my person, my heart jumped into my throat but was pleasantly surprised to find it exactly where I left it, undisturbed. Maybe that little incident will help to ensure I never leave it behind again, just as yours will likely do for you.

rita63
01-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Last night coming home from support group with a friend, both dressed,we were between buses and a homeless panhandler asked if "you 2 ladies" would give him some money. Then we went into a drug store and my friend knew the makeup lady there and we talked for a while. When I got my bus home I went into my building at one end and automatically undid my winter coat and walked the length of the building en femme. This is the most out I have ever been at home and I was completely comfortable. Sometimes I amaze myself.

hugs rita