PDA

View Full Version : balding !?!?!

Tracy - new dresser
01-05-2013, 06:09 AM
i was think of getting my next hair cut shorter and more fem (its a wig in my pic if your wondering) so i can have my own hair in boy and girl mode :)

BUT ive noticed my hair is thinning dramatically on my fringe at the front, so what can i do !?! am i forever stuck using a wig ??

Alexis.j
01-05-2013, 06:13 AM
Lol, Im in the same boat as you... Not sure what to do, but i am growing my hair as much as possible so that i can try playing with different styles to cover the bald spot...

Vickie_CDTV
01-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Unless one is a TS and can live with all of the effects of HRT (including the sexual side effects), there is really no good solution for hair loss. I am in the same boat and I don't know what to do other than live with it for now, and hope someday they come up with something better than what we have now. Rogaine doesn't work for everyone and is only effective on the crown of the head. Propecia can have unwanted side effects on a male person, similar to the effects HRT can have.

You could get a partial hairpiece to cover up your thinning front for now, but the thinning hair will get worse with time sadly.

Miriam-J
01-05-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm well past the point you describe already, having lost most of the hair in the front half of my head by my early 30s. It's really not so terrible, though it can be a bit startling at first. Unless you intend to be on HRT, just accept it quietly and make your adjustments. Wigs do have their advantages, such as flexibility in appearance, though they can also be quite warm to wear (varies with the wig construction).

Relax and enjoy.

Miriam

Julie95
01-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Rupaul is completely bald but she's awesome!

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3197/rupaul.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/rupaul.jpg/)

Julie

Sophie_C
01-05-2013, 10:06 PM
i was think of getting my next hair cut shorter and more fem (its a wig in my pic if your wondering) so i can have my own hair in boy and girl mode :)

BUT ive noticed my hair is thinning dramatically on my fringe at the front, so what can i do !?! am i forever stuck using a wig ??

Get Advodart or Dutas from various online pharmacies, or better yet, your regular doctor. Be honest, they'll check you and and prescribe it typically with no issue. I've done it for a long time now and it completely halted my loss. I am 100% serious. I would suggest double the standard dosage, but it depends on how your body works. '

And, no, it will not make you infertile or cause sexual issues. It's incredibly lighter than the HRT used by transitioning girls, (which is spironolactone or cyproterone) because it only blocks the DHT, which is a derivative of testosterone (not the testosterone itself), and the exact thing which causes the hair loss.

Good luck!

KiwiKate
01-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Hi Tracy.It's sucks about your thinning hair.I know all to well about that side of things.I ended up getting a No1 cos I can't stand tha thought of having a comb over.Best of luck with your do.

LaraPeterson
01-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Hi Tracy, I lost most of my hair very early in life so I started shaving my head long ago--no sense in having "stray" hair or, as someone said, doing a comb over. As a result, I've been buying wigs for a long time, too. I can tell you that better wigs do cost more but they are very comfortable, some of them to the point you can sleep in them and shower with them on and style them as well.

Wigs are just another troublesome part of dressing, but a very pleasant part when someone doesn't believe you when you swear it is a wig. Enjoy what you have while you have it and just be prepared for the alternative. It's all good.

JadeEmber
01-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I thought I was going to safe in the thinning hair department, but in my late thirties, started to notice thinning at the top. For now, it's fine, but yeah, I've accepted I'm going to shave it off smooth if it gets too far. No combovers :). I'll just get a wig if I feel the need. Yeah, it wasn't fun at all to discover that, but what can you do?

sometimes_miss
01-06-2013, 02:33 AM
am i forever stuck using a wig ??
The hair club for men.
http://hairloss.hairclub.com/new/?pub=GOOGLE&wm_crID=13272014&wm_lpID=57561618&wm_ctID=443&wm_kwID=34761220&wm_mtID=3&wm_content=0&wm_g_crID=14722484180&wm_g_kw=hair+club+for+men&wm_g_pcmt=&wm_g_cnt=0&gclid=CLnr_Kub07QCFQLd4AodgyEAyg&wm_kw=hair+club+for+men&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=hair+club+for+men&utm_campaign=brand&wm_sd=1
But it's very, very expensive. I can sort of afford it, but decided against it because I'm pretty old, and glamorous silky long hair on me would look just as ridiculous as the long, glamorous wigs I wear. So, in real life I keep my old man balding scalp, and when dressed, I have beautiful girl hair, ready to go, no styling necessary. Best of both worlds, sort of. I have better things to spend money on instead of hair that I usually can't even see. Like, perhaps, a new fancy paint job for my old car. yeah, that's the ticket.

noeleena
01-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Hi,

Tracy as the temps are very hot & fires down in Tas, not good, im glad i dont have any hair, as i would get headaches so the heat is too much for me, i dont wear wigs because of the same thing. so not haveing ether is not a problem,

Even as a woman my friends are so used to me now & they know so its just head wear or scarves & that works very well.

when one lose's thier hair or nothing can be done to help or wigs are not really the best there are other ways around it, maybe not what you wont or need its still an option

...noeleena...

Beverley Sims
03-04-2013, 04:17 PM
If you have male pattern baldness you need a wig.

Deborah Kaye
03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I started out in all this by purchasing my first wig on line four years ago, then later walking into wig shops and trying them on, asking questions and selecting in person. I have close to 30 wigs to choose from now, all colors, styles, lengths. I too saw my own hair recede from late teens on, so growing my own out or supplementing it was never really an option. I've found the owners and staff in wig shops to be the nicest, most receptive people around. Also the most complimentary and supportive. I recently found out the very first shop owner I ever visited is a supporter of the group I just made contact with. The first time I went out en fem was to her for a new wig and show off and model my first complete outfit. Wigs can be a hassle, but what girl doesn't mess with her hair? I love the way I look in my wigs!

LeaP
03-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Get Advodart or Dutas from ...

And, no, it will not make you infertile or cause sexual issues. It's incredibly lighter than the HRT used by transitioning girls, (which is spironolactone or cyproterone) because it only blocks the DHT, which is a derivative of testosterone (not the testosterone itself), and the exact thing which causes the hair loss.

!

I would be careful about this advice! These drugs do block the conversion of testosterone into DHT, which is the major cause of male pattern baldness. To characterize their use as lighter than HRT, however, isn't exactly correct. First, they are often prescribed as part of HRT. They are in my regimen, for instance. One reason is that by taking them you can lower the dosage of the other anti androgens you are taking. The reason? Because DHT is a very powerful version, or metabolite, of testosterone. Take it, and you may – big may – experience many of the side effects of taking any anti-androgen. Whether you will or not, or to what degree will depend entirely on your physiology.

Still, Finasteride is widely prescribed for male pattern baldness. But before you go taking it, especially self prescribed (more or less), you should do some research on the side effects that have been reported with its use. In no circumstance would I double the typical male dosage. In fact, most people taking it for male pattern baldness report equal results by taking very light dosages.

Jamie001
03-05-2013, 12:06 AM
It is also important to note that dutasteride and finasteride and not bad for you. Many men commonly use they drugs for relief of BPH and they work wonders while also helping with hair loss. I don't believe we should demonize these two very helpful drugs.

Barbara Maria
03-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Hi,Tracy. I used Rogaine for about 5 years and it did stop the balding,but nothing grew back. About age 45 I gave up and let it go. But I find wigs to be more fun anyway. I can get hair styles that I want that my own hair wouldn't do even when I had it.

Julogden
03-05-2013, 01:14 AM
The hair club for men.
http://hairloss.hairclub.com/new/?pub=GOOGLE&wm_crID=13272014&wm_lpID=57561618&wm_ctID=443&wm_kwID=34761220&wm_mtID=3&wm_content=0&wm_g_crID=14722484180&wm_g_kw=hair+club+for+men&wm_g_pcmt=&wm_g_cnt=0&gclid=CLnr_Kub07QCFQLd4AodgyEAyg&wm_kw=hair+club+for+men&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=hair+club+for+men&utm_campaign=brand&wm_sd=1
But it's very, very expensive. I can sort of afford it, but decided against it because I'm pretty old, and glamorous silky long hair on me would look just as ridiculous as the long, glamorous wigs I wear. So, in real life I keep my old man balding scalp, and when dressed, I have beautiful girl hair, ready to go, no styling necessary. Best of both worlds, sort of. I have better things to spend money on instead of hair that I usually can't even see. Like, perhaps, a new fancy paint job for my old car. yeah, that's the ticket.
Back in the 1990's, I was a member of the Chicago Gender Society and at one of our meetings, Sy Sperling, the founder of the Hair Club, gave us a live presentation of their services and products, and they had hairpieces that were amazingly real-looking and attached very securely, and yes, very expensive too.

Sy demonstrated a very long, rather feminine-looking hairpiece that he claimed was his personal hairpiece that he wore when he went sailing on his boat. Perhaps he's one of us. ;)

Carol

reb.femme
03-05-2013, 05:09 PM
....BUT ive noticed my hair is thinning dramatically on my fringe at the front, so what can i do !?! am i forever stuck using a wig ??

Hi Tracy,

It's looking like wigs my friend.

My hair was everything when I was in my 20s and 30s and it was a shock when I noticed my monk's bald patch developing a few years back. Plus my fringe seemed overly anxious to be at the back of my head too. I now shave my head with a No.2 attachment and accept that this is the way it is.

It once took me approx 2 years to grow my hair down to my shoulders and only 50 secs for the Royal Air Force to remove it, when I joined up as a regular. So it's not the first time I'd lost it anyway :heehee:

I guess fate grants us either a long life with the inherent physical degradation this brings or the less palatable early demise. I'll take the former.

Rebecca

Tabitha Storm
03-05-2013, 06:59 PM
I am balding myself. I have always had short hair, can't have long hair at work so it has always been wigs. They look better on you without having hair underneath them though

Tab

Paulette
03-06-2013, 01:37 PM
My hairdresser had a custom human hair piece made to argument the sparse hair at the front and top of head. She then cut and colored my own hair to match the hair piece. Now I can wear my own hair in drab and with a few brush strokes and hair dryer can re-style it with my clip in hair piece and I have a nice woman's hair style. The clip in piece is much lighter and you take care of it just like your own hair washing with shampoo and conditioner and drying with your hair dryer while it is pinned to a wig form. Because it is real hair it looks very natural and moves well when you move your head. Having the clips means it will stay on in the wind.

5150 Girl
03-06-2013, 04:27 PM
I say enjoy as much hair as you can, for as long as you can, then go to the wig... That's how I roll...

Bethany_Anne_Fae
03-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Well, Ive been without for over tenty years and have found some lovely wigs that do the job right. If you can possibly grow it back that would be great, but be ready to experiment with different hairpieces just in case

Stephanie47
03-06-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty much in the extremely thin group. I do have hair on the sides. The only accommodation I have made is to buy and grey wig and act my age. I went from wigs that were blond and brunette to the grey which is shoulder length and curly. I think it looks good on me. There's no contrast between the wig and sideburns. If it wasn't a grey wig, I'd go for salt and pepper. If you're losing your hair, forget all those treatments, which will cut into your budget for dresses.

Jan Michell Collins
03-06-2013, 06:11 PM
My hair is gone do the wigs stay put with nothing to hold it on ?? How do you keep it on I need to know

Being Paige
03-06-2013, 07:46 PM
My hair is gone do the wigs stay put with nothing to hold it on ?? How do you keep it on I need to know

I shave my head all the time and have no issues with my wigs staying in place, it is a little harder when I am freshly shaved but as soon as there is a little bit of stubble, it grabs on. I could never not wear a wig.

Starr
03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
My hair is still there.. now it is starting to move back a little in front, mainly on each side.. and i do have a little thin spot in the back. i plan on talking to my DR about some of the things i can do to help this.. since i feel i am TS i have no problem with side effects.. and in some cases would welcome them.. lets see how it goes.

DressForSuccess
03-07-2013, 03:09 AM
I am sorry to hear some of you are balding. I never thought of how bad that would be for MTF people. I am lucky baldness does not run in my family.

BOBBI G.
03-07-2013, 07:56 AM
The powers way above us saw fit to start creating a few spaces for a new face to replace the one I now have, which is gaining freeways instead of wrinkles. Age does play a part, as I am turning 70 in just a few days, so I am spending more time trying to care for the body I so abused when I was younger, moisturizers, anti- wrinkle, and anti- aging products now a daily part of my routine.

My hair stylist, now a very good and trusted friend, and I are allowing my hair to slowly extend itself all over my head to try and figure a style that will cover my thinning and vacant spots. From what I see it will probaably reach to, at least, just below the ear, and then she will have free reign to use her artistic ability to create something, we hope, will do the task and also be attractive. Got a few months to go yet. Will keep you informed as to progress.

Bobbi

BLUE ORCHID
03-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi Tracy, Male pattern baldness is some that you have no control over,
You can pick your wig --- but you can't pick your parents.

marelna
03-18-2013, 05:25 AM
After years of shaving and waxing I developed Alopecia and now have not a hair anywhere......dream come true!!! but I do hate being a baldy male when en drab.

Loni
03-20-2013, 10:39 AM
lean to enjoy a wig.
you could try a trans plant. but check out a Dr down in san diego. as the one on the tube is way over priced.
sad but when the "dht" takes hold, hair is lost.

StarrOfDelite
03-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Sadly, the problem of male pattern baldness is not solvable by any easy means. As some of the other posters have noted, both Rogaine and Propecia have their drawbacks, and don't work for everybody. I still have a lot of hair on the sides and in back, but it's very sparse on top and in the front. I'm a "physical fitness nut" and I tried to grow a natural ponytail, because I love the look of long hair floating out behind a woman as she jobs or bicycles and really wanted to emulate that. Alas, without a decent crop of hair in the front and crown of the head, I couldn't even develop a ponytail of adequate bulk and body. Damn you, testosterone!

Kellie Day
03-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Always look on the bright side of life.

I lost most of my hair a decade ago, and I find it makes it much more convenient to wear whatever wig I fancy without ratty hair hanging out around the margin. Also, I don't have to go to the barber as often, which is as much as a break as you get since they charge the same price for hirsute twenty-somethings as folk with just a fringe around the edges.