PDA

View Full Version : going to a psychologist, howto tell my SO?

Tracy - new dresser
01-05-2013, 09:46 PM
so my SO knows i dress and bi and whatever but for some reason telling her this seems so much more difficult.. so any advice on how to approach this conversation would help me out alot :)

xox
Tracy

Allison Chaynes
01-05-2013, 10:08 PM
I'd just tell her you're trying to figure yourself out to make your relationship work better for both of you. Just be honest. After a couple sessions you may want to have her also see the shrink.

Ann Louise
01-05-2013, 11:02 PM
If indeed your SO is a very important person to you and someone who you honestly feel you're willing to spend years with, I can't see how you'd Not involve her directly with your psychotherapy. May I suggest that you present your mutual involvement in this counseling as a very positive thing (it is!), and not as a negative thing, but rather as an affirmation of your love and confidence in one another, growing together? Yes!

If I'm not mistaken, one of your previous posts expressed significant uncertainty about things, and now you're actively seeking out good, solid counsel. Bravo! You're on the right track IMHO. Elfin

Tracy - new dresser
01-05-2013, 11:22 PM
If indeed your SO is a very important person to you and someone who you honestly feel you're willing to spend years with, I can't see how you'd Not involve her directly with your psychotherapy. May I suggest that you present your mutual involvement in this counseling as a very positive thing (it is!), and not as a negative thing, but rather as an affirmation of your love and confidence in one another, growing together? Yes!

If I'm not mistaken, one of your previous posts expressed significant uncertainty about things, and now you're actively seeking out good, solid counsel. Bravo! You're on the right track IMHO. Elfin

thank you :) its a huge step for me personally to even go see one but im also excited to get my head clear :)

but anyhoo im not sure if i want her there, well like not for the first few sessions anyway. im more scared for her sake if i end up transitioning or whatever cause im sure it will break her heart :s

Beverley Sims
03-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Just tell her that in order to find yourself properly and prevent future depression you are going to see a psychologist.
You are trying to help her.

PaulaQ
03-04-2013, 04:51 PM
You don't want her there at first. This is like making sausage - it is an ugly process. There is stuff she doesn't need to hear because you don't really mean it, but you need to say it. You can never unsay something, and stuff that could come out could really hurt her.

Get her involved later, after you figure out is going on in your head.

JerseyGirlDonna
03-04-2013, 05:08 PM
There's no need to involve her now. You need to figure things out for yourself, understand yourself better. Once you figure that out, you will then be prepared to work with your SO to improve your lives together. Don't hide it, just tell her you're speaking with someone and she might be involved down the road. As I told my wife, I can't make our relationship better until I'm better.

BLUE ORCHID
03-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi Tracy try to convince her that you are doing it for her.

AllieSF
03-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Congratulations on taking that big step to work things out for yourself. You really do not need her there unless there are specific things that she needs to participate in. After a few visits you can ask the therapist whether it is a good idea or not to include her in some of the sessions. Many times you just need to deal with your own personal issues before they become other people's issues too. That does not require their participation in the sessions.

Stacy Myrdin
03-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Just be honest and take this journey together with her, my CD did it that way and we're a very happy couple taking this journey together, your SO needs to be included , she also will have questions
and a therapist is a good person to help both of you xoxo