PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with CD/TG groups?

Lisa Maren
12-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Hi everyone

I've been looking around on Dr. Anne Vitale's website (http://www.avitale.com/GroupInfo.htm) and I see she offers a Gender Issues Group that meets on Wednesday nights. Has anyone been part of such a group? Was it helpful? I suppose one might argue that one-on-one might be a bit more helpful, but I can't afford private therapy just now. Let's not overlook the upside, though -- this way I could meet and hopefully help support some of my sisters in person.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Hugs,
Lisa

Steffie-Lee
12-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Lisa, By all means go, at least once, you can always quit if you don't like it. The fee is quite low, we have outfits that cost more. I used to attend a similar group, I met quite a few sisters there, we formed our own group, met together without cost for years.

Christina Nicole
12-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Some groups that I have attended were good. Some of the people I met were great. I met one girl my first time out. We just "clicked." We were both in the same space TG-wise. We maintained contact for quite some time. She was brave and I was chicken. She transitioned and I didn't. I lost contact with her sometime after her SRS. I do remember the first time I saw her again after the brow lift. She looked like an entirely different girl, from passable to stealth. It was incredible. Meeting her alone is, IMHO, worth going to a group. We had a great time.

On the other hand, some groups were less good. Some I got as far and the door and said, "Icky! This is not the place for me." You'll never know until you go. Do your best to stay anonymous and maintain your privacy. If things are weird or they don't work out, there's no harm to you.

Some groups allow so-called "admirers." The ones I’ve seen gave me the creeps. Maybe it is just me being weird, but I would not trust the ones I have seen with my empty, used lipstick tube.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but there are a lot of strange, weird, and bad people out there, especially on the fringes. Society has pushed TGs to the fringe in some ways. Risks can be managed and minimized. I don't advocate taking zero risks, but why take foolish, unnecessary ones? I have a habit of looking before I leap. That means I look at the best case, worst case, the possible cases, and the likely cases of something new before I do it. If you get into a sticky spot, calling the police to protect yourself could have repercussions if you are en-femme.

So I recommend that you go. Most groups are great. I'm especially impressed with the ones affiliated with Renaissance (http://www.ren.org/). But be careful.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

GypsyKaren
12-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi Lisa

I belong to a tg support group that meets once a month. I have to say that it's the best thing I ever did. I've made lots of new friends, and we're all there for each other. Go ahead and give it a try, I think you might like it.

GypsyKaren

CharleneCD
12-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Lisa, My wife and I are currently in the process of joining our local Tri-Ess Chapter. We met with another couple on saturday for the check out thing. All 4 of us hit it off real well. I cannot descibe how wonderful it is to be with others like myself. This group seems very active and fun. Give a meeting a try. What do you have to lose.

gennee
12-05-2005, 09:23 PM
I meet with a tg group every week. It has helped me a lot and I have met some wonderful ladies in the process. There is another group that I am checking out,too.

Gennee:)

Julie
12-05-2005, 09:32 PM
I went to a TS support group meeting a couple of times. It wasn't really what I was looking for so I stopped going. I am a member of a few Chicago area social groups and if I need to talk something out there's always someone willing to listen and help out. Otherwise I just have fun being with friends who I don't have to explain anything to. ;)

Lisa Maren
12-09-2005, 02:45 AM
Thanks for all of your replies girls. I do think going to a group would be a great experience. The main challenge for me is the fact that I'm pretty close to my family and as such they like to be up to date on everything that's going on with me and in the process of catching up they can ask some pretty detailed questions. So, it might be pretty hard to go to this group without divulging that to my family...

I don't know. I'll figure something out.

Thanks girls!

Hugs,
Lisa

Kierci
12-09-2005, 02:57 AM
Hey Lisa tell you what take a "business trip" down here to Phoenix and I will goto a tri-ess meeting with you then all you have to do is tell your family it was business ya know the normal crap that goes with a business trip, meetings and stuff. your not lying its personnal business and you will be going to a meeting or two :cool:

Jillian310
12-09-2005, 09:59 AM
I have just found a CD Club in NW PA that seems to have a wonderful agenda. They have get togethers every so often (not sure of the frequency) where they rent a block of rooms in a CD friendly hotel, and have a string of CD friendly restaurants and attractions they attend en feme en masse! They also have CD friendly clubs and bars where some go during these 'events'. They also hold regular meetings. The pictures I have seen from the events shows a nice cross section of age and shapes, and a variety of dress. I have just sent my application. In anticipation, I have just purchased a long black sequined evening skirt and a black and white 2 piece printed jumper dress for the next event. (These are the longest skirts in my wardobe! Usually I probably flash a little satin in my minis! It will be a new experience for me to be so demur! Ah, the aging process!)