PDA

View Full Version : Tootsie

Maria S
01-06-2013, 04:00 PM
For the last couple of years I've been looking for a full time permanent job. I've even thought of taking a leaf out of Dustin Hoffman's book and doing a "Tootsie" to see if it helps to get a job.

Maria

Kaz
01-06-2013, 04:10 PM
You don't lose anything by trying... you only gain from the experience (well other than in life or death situations!).... you will run into enormous ID issues I suspect in the UK. Public sector are always looking to increase diversity. If they can tick the TG box it looks good? Let us know how you get on! :hugs:

Eryn
01-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Remember that behind the scenes in Tootsie was a phalanx of makeup artists to keep Dorothy looking passable!

I find this idea interesting. In the movie, Michael was faced with the dilemma of a potential job that definitely required a female. Maria, is there a job you have in mind that requires a female in this way?

ArleneRaquel
01-06-2013, 05:21 PM
I never thought that Dustin Hoffman was passable. Maria best wishes in all of your endevors.

Stephanie47
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
In this day and age the jobs go to people who have the education, skills and experience. Yes, it does help sometimes to be a woman to meet some HR goals of balancing the workforce. I know of one Irish young adult male who adopted his Hispanic stepfather's name to get a job. I know of one distant relative who was able to document her minute Native American heritage to get a promotion.

Most applicants for a job do not have any legal protection of gender expression. Most employers are not going to hire a person, whose gender roles may be disruptive to the workplace. Once in the door there may be legal protection for gender expression depending on state and local laws. Move to Washington State.

Melissa Rose
01-06-2013, 09:47 PM
You are making the assumption that you are more hireable as a woman than a man. What kind of jobs are you thinking about where that would be a big advantage? Unless you are 100% "passable" all of the time, you will get read at the interview and your entire perceived advantage of being a woman would totally disappear and then you would be at an even greater disadvantage. In addition, unless you have legally changed your name and gender on your identity documents and records, your deception would get exposed at that stage of the hiring process and the game would be over. Sorry to stomp on your fantasy, but reality says it is not going to work the way you dream except maybe in a very rare or unusual circumstance.

LaraPeterson
01-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Hi Maria,

I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in the States there are not a lot of TG/CD friendly employers. As has already been well stated, legal identity issues will probably sink your ship before it leaves port. Maybe you ought to start by looking for a TG friendly place to work. If you are able to find one or more, and they aren't hiring right now, maybe you network through them to find what you are looking for. I wish you the best. Be careful and follow your dream. People who don't dream regret.

JenniferR771
01-06-2013, 10:07 PM
It's not easy. Find out your legal rights in advance. In fact, a friend of mine was recently let go for being rude to a customer. However, the real reason was probably that he wanted to work as a woman. The Human Resources department was Ok with the idea.
In this case, self-employment fits the situation nicely. Independent consultant--contract worker--contractor--your own company.
If you are good at your career...start your own company...and hire your old boss.

Chickhe
01-07-2013, 12:35 AM
It would be interesting to put your two profiles up against each other and see who gets the first interview... As for being practical, you might be forcing yourself in to a role you are not prepared for...

Beverley Sims
01-07-2013, 05:09 AM
You don't lose anything by trying... you only gain from the experience (well other than in life or death situations!).... you will run into enormous ID issues I suspect in the UK. Public sector are always looking to increase diversity. If they can tick the TG box it looks good? Let us know how you get on! :hugs:

From what I have read and perceived the TG box tick could get you in.
I would go in drab first and indicate that you wish to transition and find a female oriented position.
It can't hurt and you gain confidence in the process.

Persephone
01-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Maria,

Have you considered seeing if you could try it first? Maybe see if you can get hired by a temp agency?

It was a long time ago, before firms double-checked everything so carefully, but I was a temp secretary for two weeks once. Loved it! But I was on vacation from my "real job" and it was time to go back. Plus, Gillette hadn't invented the Fusion razor yet and my skin was totally turnng into raw hamburger.

But it was great! I learned so much! And I loved lunching with the other administrative assistants in the plant. They gave the "new girl" warnings about stuff I would never have known in "boy world," like the fact that the copy machine had a sharp spot on the base that loved to rip panty hose, and that my boss was the office Romeo with wandering hands (something that I found to be true one day when we both went down the stairwell together).

After I left, the temp agency kept pleading with me to come back. It seems that the client really liked me and kept asking for me by name!

It may, or may not, turn out to be your cup of tea, but if you could get in with an agency it might work for you.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Maria S
01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Thank you for all your comments. I suppose after over 2 years out of work I begin to think I'll try anything to get a job. I know in my heart I'd never get a Maria job but it's nice to have a dream.

Saying that in male mode I took my CV around to various places today which included a beauty salon. It was a large store selling all types of beauty, makeup and wigs etc. Not an area you often see men working in. When I asked did they have any vacancies they said no but that they had a temporary vacancy in their Canterbury branch. I phoned them and they asked me my retail experience which is limited. I could tell by the tone of voice change that it was not promising. They said post them my CV. I sent it today but included in the covering note that unlike many men I have a keen interest in beauty and makeup as I and a transvestite (not full time). I was tempted to put in that I'll do the job in either male or female mode but did not want to freak them out. That can come later. Boy what a dream every day in Maria mode and getting paid for it. It would just be too good to be true.

It won't happen but I can dream.

Maria

Karren H
01-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Funny but its on LOGO right now..... Question..... what job would you get as a female that you couldn't get as a male.... besides stripper or Victoria Secret super model?

Maria S
01-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Not too sure what LOGO is? As an ex-Civil Servant of 30+ years I certainly know about not discriminating over sex and age etc. You just can't help but wonder if in the private sector when an employer compares the vacancy, the cv and say if the applicant is male or female they sub-conciously (excuse the spelling) take that into account without realising it.

Maria

Karren H
01-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Logo is the gay and lesbian TV cable channel...... when I hire engineers or geologists..... their gender has exactly zero to do with it.... Education.... ability . and experience... are what matters to me... can they do the job as I want it done...

Gaby2
01-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Funny but its on LOGO right now..... Question..... what job would you get as a female that you couldn't get as a male.... besides stripper or Victoria Secret super model?
mother................ ?

PretzelGirl
01-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't call being a mother a job. Maybe a calling or a blessing?