PDA

View Full Version : I almost have the nerve to do it. Almost

Gwinnie
01-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Walk into a Lane Bryant without my wife. Find one of the girls there and ask what size they think I am. Then find a dress and ask if I can try it on. Today I feel like I could do it. Tomorrow, who knows?

Lady Catherine
01-08-2013, 12:34 PM
You should do it. Once you break the ice, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

YorkshireRose
01-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Go for it! ignore the butterflies and nail that dress. As has been said on here many times, they are only interested in making a sale, with the odd exception, some of whom will go out of their way for you.

Good Luck Charlotte

Stephanie47
01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Go for it! Don't make the mistake I made when I went into a Lane Bryant a long time ago looking for a nightgown for my wife. I was looking for my wife, not me. I had absolutely no experience with Lane Bryant. The sales clerk was very helpful and smiled when she said the store was for larger women, and, not for my 5 foot 2, 130 pound wife. That was before the Internet. Now, if I am going to shop for her or myself, I'll go on line to the store's website and check for the sizes and styles carried. No sense in blowing the stored up courage at the wrong store! :)

Persephone
01-08-2013, 01:36 PM
I've heard it said that perhaps 1/3rd of Lane Bryant's customers are men, most through the catalog, but plenty who shop in the stores, so I'm willing to bet that they will be perfectly delighted to help you.

Hugs,
Persephone.

sonna
01-08-2013, 01:47 PM
all ican say is just do it i met 2 of my best friends from lane bryant and we went out to a drag show last week.

you dont know what kind of friends you will find till you put your self out there.

also they are professional your not the first and you wont be the last. (just smile and go for it)
do what makes you happy.

Christie ann
01-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Do it! there is nothing like have a dressing room started for you especially if they write your girl name outside the door.

BillieJoEllen
01-08-2013, 02:24 PM
I haven't bought anything from LB in a few years now mostly because I can't find skirts or dresses. Also the stores that circle my neck of the woods don't carry foundation garments except for bras. I did find a dress I liked a few days before Christmas but it was for a petite woman. Bue enough of that. If you feel comfortable doing what you have planned then go for it.

Kate Simmons
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
I always was and am one of their best customers Hon.:)

Eryn
01-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I've never been comfortable with the idea of asking to try on clothes while in drab in a women's-only store but that is my own personal peccadillo and shouldn't apply to others. My cure is to go en femme! Others shop en drab with no problem at all.

I have a feeling that savvy store personnel know that they are more likely to make a sale to a CDer then to a GG. We've already invested the mental energy in just working up the courage to try something on, so we're not as likely to reject the item.

So, go for it! You are very likely to have a pleasant experience and that makes it easier the next time.

Keri L
01-08-2013, 04:36 PM
I went to TJ Maxx over the holidays, thinking I could browse the ladies section without raising any eyebrows, as I could be Christmas shopping.

After finding about 8 things (blouses and skirts), I placed a pair of jeans on top of my cart and headed for the dressing room. But, when I got there, a sales associate said excuse me, we need to do an item count, and then I will get you a room. Well, now I had done it! Anyway, she counted the items and barely gave me a sideways glance, so I proceeded to try everything on and then kept a few items and gave the associate back the things that did not work for me. After that, my courage had grown, so I found another bunch of clothes to try on and went back to the dressing room for round two. This time, I wondered if loss prevention was getting a kick out of watching me try on the clothes over my panties and sports bra thtough the two way mirror, but I didn't really care at that point. Overall, a very exciting and rewarding afternoon!

tifftg
01-08-2013, 06:03 PM
My experience in a number of stores is similar to Caitlyn's. just count the items and sometimes point you down one hallway or the other depending on whether I was dressed enfemme or in drab. She also highlights an important pre step if possible, plan ahead and underdress panties work better than boxers with skinny jeans.

Janet Bern
01-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Be sure to underdress. You will find that she will probably give you her guess as to your
size and take you around to pick a few out. They enjoy doing it.

litangel
01-08-2013, 06:22 PM
For me, they to making your trip to LB. along with an other greater step into the public, is a great thing, if you are ready. And I think readiness has to do with a couple of things - Having managed enough of your own shame, that on the rare chance if someone reacts negatively, you can remain present and react with grace. One thing that helps with that, is imagine someone having a negative. or even just a curious response, but one that embarrasses you. And imagine how you will respond. Once you face the fear situation in your mind, in will feel less scary in the real world.

Rogina B
01-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Do it! there is nothing like have a dressing room started for you especially if they write your girl name outside the door.

Cactussteve????

AmyGaleRT
01-08-2013, 09:18 PM
You could always figure out your size before you go, you know. Here's my tip: When figuring your dress size, the bust measurement is the most important. If you get that right, you can cope with the other measurements by selecting the right style of dress. For instance, I know that sheath dresses don't work well for me, but A-line styles, especially with an empire waist, do. Oh, and, when measuring your bust, don't forget to include any forms you'll be wearing!

(That reminds me...a Lane Bryant just opened up not long ago in a shopping center near where I live. I need to go there one of these days...especially if I can go as Amy.)

- Amy

kimdl93
01-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Go for it. The SAs will be more than happy to help.

Beverley Sims
02-18-2013, 02:32 PM
You do have to be conditioned right on the day.

nhlighthouse
02-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Love your post!

Jaymees22
02-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Go for it. I'm almost jealous, I'm too small for LB..Jaymee

Diane Smith
02-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Once you have done it, you will wonder why you ever thought it would be so hard. I never had any trouble at all shopping at Lane Bryant, and everyone there was very helpful and understanding. I later lost weight and couldn't fit in their sizes anymore, then they closed the local store. I still feel responsible for that!

- Diane

kimdl93
02-18-2013, 04:29 PM
You've been mulling this over too much. Its time to just take the plunge. Hopefully, you'll get past this and see come to see shopping as an everyday thing Question - have you shopped with your wife at Layne Bryant - for you, I mean.