PDA

View Full Version : Told my daughter

Leah Lynn
01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I had a fantastic weekend, meeting up with the girls for a GNO, and meeting several girls for the first time. I stayed for the whole weekend, and texted my daughter when I got home.
My daughter has known that Leah comes out on Halloween, and we've joked about me dressing more often. I'm thinking that via the joking she has figured it out. Anyway, she called me Monday and we talked a long time. She asked if Leah went out of town as well. That's when I told her that it was Leah's weekend getaway, that I was en femme the entire time, including driving home. Her comment was that she was not at all surprised. Okay, that was good. Easier than I thought. Then, oh lord, there is a "then", she asked if I met a lady, and would she have to call him "Mommy". No, I replied, I'm not gay. She knows that, but likes to chide me. The brat gets her sense of humor from her father. I told her pretty much what we did and that I totally had a blast. She now thinks she should come along on the next GNO to chaparone.
NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!!

mikiSJ
01-08-2013, 09:56 PM
That is great that your relationship with your daughter allows you, all of you, to talk.

I have never told my adult daughter, but I have to believe she knows on some level and if we ever did have the talk, I doubt there would be any histrionics. She is an actor of some repute and has friends that fill every nook and crany of the gender spectrum.

My adult son, not so good there. I think it would freak him out as one of his best friend's father died from self medicating HRT. The friend' family wasn't aware of the father's dressing until after the autopsy.

kimdl93
01-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Perhaps you could plan some sort of occasion to introduce your daughter to Leah. I'm out,to my step daughter and have met a couple of her friends en femme. She told me later that everyone was very cool with it.

Leah Lynn
01-08-2013, 10:07 PM
A few months ago I was talking to my son about a particular website we both frequent, me using my male web address. At one point, he said something about something else, because it allowed you to view lots of interesting photos. My blood ran cold. I didn't catch all he said,as all I could think of, was him finding Leah's photo. My daughter is the free spirit; he is way too serious about most things. Although he is quite liberal and defends the LGBT community (he has gay and lesbian friends), I think it's a case of "not in MY family."

Kim, I've been thinking about doing that.

jillleanne
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
LOL, I just love these stories. They bring so much hope for others.

Persephone
01-08-2013, 11:10 PM
She now thinks she should come along on the next GNO to chaparone.
NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!!

My son decided to include himself in one of my GNO's in Las Vegas, showing up regardless of what we told him. It was one of the wildest nights of my life as two GG friends from the East coast had been stuck in a training program all week, their jobs depended on passing the test, and they'd just been told that they passed! Party time!

So he came along and ended up playing security and getting our drinks the whole evening, while his en femme Dad, his Mom, and their two friends partied in the VIP room of a club.

At one point he leaned over to me and said, "You do know this is the strangest night of my life, right?"

So don't be so quick to say "No" to your daughter, she could come in handy! :)

Hugs,
Persephone.

Jodi Anne
01-08-2013, 11:12 PM
We have 3 kids all grown and they have families of there own, my two sons are the ones I worry about how they would accept dressing, I Think my daughter already knows, I have thought of telling her.
I am just getting too old to care what is thought of me by friends, but family is different.

Ceri Anne
01-08-2013, 11:36 PM
So glad you've been accepted by your daughter so well. I think its a good idea to introduce Leah to her, and may even be good for both of you to attend a weekend together. Sharing I believe would be a great bonding experience.

Beverley Sims
01-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Not the GNO as a chaperone, but float by her a night out or shopping? See how that goes.

vikki2020
01-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Great to hear these stories!!

Ressie
01-09-2013, 09:32 AM
I didn't catch your daughter's age, which might make a difference. Is it better to let children know at a certain age?

Barbra P
01-09-2013, 10:55 AM
I joined a TG/CD support group in San Diego in the spring of 2011 and my Daughter, who is now 29, accompanied me to many of the monthly meetings, which were dinner meetings held in a private room of a national chain restaurant. My cataracts were getting worse and night driving wasn’t something I liked to do so she was my chauffeur, and besides having her along had the added benefit that I could have a couple beers with dinner since she was driving home.

What started out as moral support for me quickly evolved into Sarah making friends and enjoying the meetings for her own reasons. Sarah and I felt that there wasn’t sufficient time during the main meetings for socializing so a few of us would arrive early for our own little get together. Sarah enjoyed these impromptu meetings meeting more than the main meetings, and so did I. If she had something planned and couldn’t accompany me I always had to explain to the group why she wasn’t there; I sometimes felt like she was missed more than I would be.

Leah Lynn
01-09-2013, 07:07 PM
My daughter is 32. I've been thinking about a little time together, probably an evening out, just the two of us. I'm sure she would love all the ladies in our group, but not sure they would be receptive.