PDA

View Full Version : Big Hair or Beehive Anyone?

Leanne2
01-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Veronica and I live about 50 miles from each other in Southern Illinois but had never met. We have been trying to get together for a visit for the last 3 or 4 months but it just hasn’t worked out. Well, yesterday the planets aligned and it looked like we could meet somewhere for a fast food lunch. I text-ed her that we would text each other when we reached the neutral town and then decide where to eat.
She would be in drab coming from her work-site and I would be dressed en fem because it was my day off. I arrived in this town an hour early so I drove around just looking. When I saw a beauty shop I decided that it would be fun to get my hair done after lunch. That shop didn’t have any openings for walk ins so I looked for another. When I stopped at a quick shop, a nice lady told me about another shop not too far from there. It turned out to be the perfect shop for me because they did roller sets which most of the newer shops don’t do. But the lady beautician didn’t have any openings that afternoon. My heart sank when she said that her only opening was at noon; when Veronica and I were to meet. The beautician took my name, as I left to figure out how to make this work. I texted Veronica and asked her if we could meet at 1:30 instead of noon so I could get my hair done. She agreed, bless her heart, so I drove back across town to the beauty shop.
The beautician stopped eating to get me rolled up and under the dryer sooner. I told her that I wanted a teased up-do. My hair is long enough to do that. This small shop had two stations so I could visit with the other women as my hair was brushed out and teased into an old fashioned bee hive style. When my style was secured in place with lots of spray the other beautician waxed my brows. When I left they gave me a shop business card and invited me back. I tipped them well and left the shop at 1:15 to drive to the McDonald's on the west side of town near the interstate. Veronica wasn’t there and when I texted her she was at the McDonald's in the next town south on the interstate. But she said she would drive to where I was.
I told Veronica that she would know who I was because of my big hair; and it was really big. We had a wonderful visit for 90 minutes and then we had to leave. I had to laugh on my drive home because my hair touched the sunroof on my old Civic. I think I’ll stay with a more normal hairdo from now on. Leanne

Rhonda Darling
01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Well, you certainly didn't need to be wearing a red carnation to be recognized that day. No quietly blending in when you have beehive hairdo. I hope you have a picture or two that you will consider sharing with us. Not often that one of us girls has sufficient real hair to have a hairdo like that.

Best,

Rhonda

Leanne2
01-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Dear Rhonda, I don't have a picture but I do have a witness, Veronica. I reminded her that I am almost a computer illiterate. I don't know how to post a picture if I had one. But some day I will figure that out. Leanne

Beverley Sims
01-09-2013, 10:06 AM
The only big hair I have is a wig.
I treat it very carefully as it now costs about$90 to get it set.

Lady Catherine
01-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I always wanted to do my hair up like that. When I was younger and had the hair to do it, I didn't have the guts. A little jelous here.

Sarasometimes
01-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the great story. I too love to get rollers set done to my human hair wigs. The whole process is so feminine and the time under the dryer is so peaceful and warm. I have several salons that are super fun and very welcomming to be at. I just found a new makeup artist who works out of her home that does drag makeup applications for $60 and although that is not my style I'm fascinated to see how I would look made up that way. At my first regular makeup lesson with her we talked about my possibly having her do drag on me and she was all for it. My wig that day was blown out straight so she suggested if I want to go drag I need to get some "Big" hair and some flashy clothes and big pices of jewelry because she will be happy to take some photos.
I talked to one of my hairdressers and she was really psyched to as she said "I'll do you up real big! With plenty of spray to keep it nice." Of course that will cost about as much as the makeup will. She is fantastically talented but not inexpensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

MsJanessa
01-12-2013, 08:56 PM
as you might be able to tell from my avatar photo I'm a real beehive/bubble/ bighair kind of lady---just love the elegant, over the top look