PDA

View Full Version : Heart Warming Tale of Acceptance from a Friend

xdressed
01-13-2013, 06:34 AM
So our conversation started over a mutual dislike of Bill O'Reilly, sparked most recently by his transphobic comments regarding the recent transition of a prison inmate. From this I found out that her Dad is transgender and has recently started a transition of her own. Isn't that quite wonderful? To follow your dream of becoming a professional comedian (she once got a personal well done from Jimmy Carr) and going through a full MtF transition at the same time with two very vocally supportive children in their late teens/early twenties. Don't know if you're on this site Emma but utmost respect for you and your family ^_^

Beverley Sims
01-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Certainly good about your friend.
When Bill O'Reilly finds out that one of his family is transitioning, that will be the time to strike!
I dislike him for a whole lot of bullish type behavior.

Rogina B
01-13-2013, 07:49 AM
He,like so many other "pundits"[blowbags]wrecks any sensible thoughts by being so unaccepting of anyone else..It is a great thing that a discussion like that leads to a better understanding of our friends.

kimdl93
01-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Also glad to hear about your friends acceptance, especially by the kids.

daarleane
01-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Didn't know"bill" had made those comments, since time is much to precious to waste watching the "likes of him".

SheriM
01-13-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't object to transitioning, it's that the bill goes to the taxpayer which in this case makes the crime a benefit to the perpetrator. This is what I heard ORiley say as well.

Leann68
01-13-2013, 12:31 PM
SheriM, I also heard it the same way, Bill doesn't care if one Transitions , he just does not want the Tax Payer footing the bill.

Barbra P
01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
I have to side with Sheri and Leann on this, I don’t think the taxpayer should be on the hook for this and I too thought that was Bill’s point. Why should a prison inmate have access to an elective procedure like transitioning with my tax dollar paying for it? I can’t afford it and I object to paying for it for someone serving time for a serious crime.

xdressed
01-13-2013, 12:49 PM
I don't object to transitioning, it's that the bill goes to the taxpayer which in this case makes the crime a benefit to the perpetrator. This is what I heard ORiley say as well.

SheriM, I also heard it the same way, Bill doesn't care if one Transitions , he just does not want the Tax Payer footing the bill.

I have to side with Sheri and Leann on this, I don’t think the taxpayer should be on the hook for this and I too thought that was Bill’s point. Why should a prison inmate have access to an elective procedure like transitioning with my tax dollar paying for it? I can’t afford it and I object to paying for it for someone serving time for a serious crime.

They had a vote in whatever state this was in which came with the people willing to pay for the transition, although that's not really the part of this story I wanted to highlight

Barbra P
01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Unfortunately the direction this thread took was based on the comments about Bill O’Reilly and not about the tale of acceptance from your friend. Although I don’t watch Bill accept on rare occasions I did catch the show where Bill spoke about this subject. I did not think his remarks were transphobic and that his point was that prison was meant to be a distasteful and unpleasant place, which I wholeheartedly agree with. Secondly this was ordered by a Federal Judge and was not voted on by the people of Massachusetts and the State of Massachusetts is appealing the ruling. The Massachusetts State Legislature’s appeal is based on objections to using taxpayer funds to pay for the procedure, The Department of Corrections further states that adequate security cannot be provided once the procedure is performed regardless of whether he is returned to the men’s prison or transferred to the women’s prison.

The man, Robert Kosilek (now calls himself Michelle) is serving a life sentence, without possibility of parole, for strangling his wife on May 20, 1990. The Judge further ordered the State to pay $700,000.00 in legal fees to the lawyers who represented Kosilek when he sued the State for the sex reassignment. However the Judge ruled on Nov. 20, 2012 to put on hold the gender reassignment he order pending a state appeal. He also denied Kosilek’s request for additional hair-removal treatments saying that should be part of a new case. This case is going to cost the people of Massachusetts millions of dollars before it is eventually settled, all for some low-life scum who strangled his wife.

natalie_cheryl
01-14-2013, 09:24 AM
that is WICKED AWESOME that you have an excepting friend that has so much perspective on the issue we all face, have you meet your friends dad/mom.

while i dislike billy O i know the case that your talking about and while i feel everyone should be able to transition if that's what they feel is needed, i dont want my tax money to pay for a murderers transition.

xdressed
01-14-2013, 10:20 AM
that is WICKED AWESOME that you have an excepting friend that has so much perspective on the issue we all face, have you meet your friends dad/mom.

No, I know this friend because we're at uni together which happens to be a middle point between where we're both from so I've never been up to her area. London isn't that hard to get to though, plus as her Dad is a comedian I think she tours a bit and my band is just starting to play shows near that area so it's reasonable we'd be able to meet sometime. My friend doesn't actually know about me yet, but I've put aside this weekend to tell my housemates so I will most likely tell her as well in the near future as we are all on the same course at uni and all quite close

EDIT: I think it would probably be very good for me to talk to her a bit actually. One of the only things my SO still worries about in regards to my crossdressing is what effect it could have on our children. Granted, it's going to be about 7 years before we even start to try having children, but I would very much like to be prepared in advance