PDA

View Full Version : My quest of women’s studies

patti.jean
01-15-2013, 09:29 PM
My quest of women’s studies recently took me to a book titled “How To Be a Women” by Caitlin Moran. This book covers many subjects of being a woman that are not readily talked about. I started reading this last weekend while on a holiday with my wife and was able to get her insight into what I was reading. This made for some very good conversations on subjects we have never discussed before; like the challenges she had as a girl growing up.

Then tonight I read the follow which is making this one of my favorite women’s studies books. It had to do with standing on a chair and saying out loud “I am a feminist”. The author continues with the following;

“And do not think you shouldn’t be standing on that chair,
shouting ‘I AM A FEMINIST!’ if you are a boy. A male feminist is one
of the most glorious end-products of evolution. A male feminist
should ABSOLUTELY be on the chair – so we ladies may all toast
you, in champagne, before coveting your body wildly. And maybe get
you to change that light bulb, while you’re up there. We cannot do it
ourselves. There is a big spider’s web on the fitting.”

I love this author,
Hugs,
Patti

BLUE ORCHID
01-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Hi Patti, That's great it sounds like great read.

sometimes_miss
01-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Don't know whether I'd want to read that book; for while I know it may only have been written 'in jest',

And maybe get you to change that light bulb, while you’re up there. We cannot do it ourselves. There is a big spider’s web on the fitting.
Is all too descriptive of many of the so called feminists I've known over the years; they're 'convenience' feminists. They want equality when it's GOOD FOR THEMSELVES, but reserve the right to fall back on traditional role responsibilities whenever it would require that they take on unpleasant tasks, such as taking jobs they find disgusting, or even just paying for their own meals.

DanaR
01-16-2013, 02:03 AM
That sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for sharing with us.

noeleena
01-16-2013, 02:30 AM
Hi,

Fuuny thing this ...I am a feminist, now my ? will be how old is this book & when was it writen . Becuse if its about the 1890' to 1920's then yes . its about or was what women had been subjected to by men beatings rape not owning or haveing the right to own & haveing the vote, plus many other details that were ether taken away from us or were prevented haveing.

or is this about the 70''s all mouth & no do.

As a female / woman i dont need a group of women with idears that are about a few or do my many women friends .

Our women going back to those early times got up & did something, being a woman to day has given us a freedom that was hard won by those women then not by those after the 70's,

I dont go with the male Feminist because the real meaning is about females natal woman & why would we trust the femininst of to day, in light of what men did to us years ago. read history then youll understand what it was like being a real woman .

To understand what being a real woman is about you have to be one = born one .

...noeleena...

ReineD
01-16-2013, 03:30 AM
Quote from Caitlin Moran
“And do not think you shouldn’t be standing on that chair,
shouting ‘I AM A FEMINIST!’ if you are a boy. A male feminist is one
of the most glorious end-products of evolution. A male feminist
should ABSOLUTELY be on the chair – so we ladies may all toast
you, in champagne, before coveting your body wildly. And maybe get
you to change that light bulb, while you’re up there. We cannot do it
ourselves. There is a big spider’s web on the fitting.”

I love it! Love her irony. lol

One of the funniest things I ever read was an account from Helen Boyd, author of "My Husband Betty". She noticed that when Betty dressed (this was earlier before Betty knew she would transition), Betty behaved like a submissive female, thinking she should serve people drinks and hors d'oeuvres at parties, acting helpless and demure, etc. This offended Helen's sensibilities and she determined to begin teaching Betty a few feminist principles! I'm paraphrasing, but I think Helen muttered something about Betty becoming a doormat over her dead body. lol

TinaMc
01-16-2013, 03:42 AM
I read Caitlin Moran's book too. It was quite good. Not exactly Gender Studies' brand of feminism, but well written and funny.

Caitlin Moran got in a bit of trouble recently over some twitter comments she made about the TV show Girls (here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/08/girls-twitter-feminism-caitlin-moran)).

Beverley Sims
01-16-2013, 12:43 PM
There are a lot of interesting? males doing womens studies.
They have interesting? views on the subject as well.
From the outside I should probably not comment.

Kate Simmons
01-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Good luck with that. Most of the CDers here (from what I gather) are afraid of arachnids as well. I'm not as I used to be a pest control technician, among other things.:heehee:

Anyway, I haven't heard the term male feminist used since the 1980's. There used to be a group called the Alliance for Male Feminists (AMF) in South New Jersey. They were a loosely based group of TV's who met periodically I guess. They published FI (female impersonator) Newsletter, which always had interesting trans articles and ads. I subscribed to it but I'll be damned if I can remember how I kept it away from my wife's eyes. It was pretty brassy for the 1980's I thought anyway.;):)