PDA

View Full Version : A question about hair.

AlexisGray
01-16-2013, 10:34 PM
So, I've been here and there on this forum for a little while now, and one thing I have trouble fully understanding personally is how some people wear wigs. I do understand that for some people it's impractical to have a feminine style with their lifestyle, but for me personally I don't think I could deal with putting on a wig, and keeping it on.

I was wondering why each of you chooses to do your hair the way you do, whether you get it cut and styled or have a wig collection. I'd love to get a better understanding from your perspectives.

Jenniferathome
01-16-2013, 10:57 PM
I have one wig. I wear a buzz cut as a guy so I would have no chance of passing or blending in without a feminine wig. The change it creates in my visual presentation is so dramatic I know it's right. Wearing it is no trouble at all.

donnatracey
01-16-2013, 11:05 PM
I am "hair-challenged" on top so I have no other option. Don't dress FT or anywhere near that so it's not a big deal at this time. The heat of Texas would be a problem most of the year otherwise.....

5150 Girl
01-16-2013, 11:09 PM
I've always been a rocker,therefore I've always had long hair. I'm used to that. I've also alwyas worn ball caps. So, when I became, shal we say,,, "folicaly challenged" putting on a wig was no big deal fo me.
I have 2 for ugly in rocker mode, and a stack for Wynonna

AmyGaleRT
01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
My fiancee likes me with long hair in guy mode, so I was growing it out long before the Big Reveal. Bonus for me! :)

I keep it in a ponytail in guy mode; in my line of work that's a tad unusual these days but not unprecedented. But remove the ponytail holder, brush it to a center part and brush all the sides out...instant Amy hairstyle. I do plan to get it trimmed to look better en femme one of these days; as long as it's long enough for the guy-mode ponytail, no one will ever know...

- Amy

whowhatwhen
01-16-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm just growing mine out and getting it cut/styled as feminine regardless of the male mode I'm stuck with.
:)

Eryn
01-16-2013, 11:54 PM
I'd like to grow my hair out, and wear it tied back in male mode. Given my job, though, I can't see any way to handle the in-between state needed to get to that point.

So, I keep it cut short and resort to a wig. Any longer and the gray (yuck) becomes more evident. Putting on my brunette wig takes a few years off.

I have no problem keeping a wig on. They're made for GGs who often squish a full head of hair under it so keeping one on my closely-cropped head poses no challenge.

Sometimes Steffi
01-17-2013, 12:04 AM
I have nothing on top, and I'm even starting to lose the sides. My favorite wig is a medium lenght medium brown and blonde mix, but I have a assortment of inexpensive ones. The long one in my profile pic is borrowed.

Vickie_CDTV
01-17-2013, 05:43 AM
Among other reasons, remember not everyone has enough hair to make their hair convincingly female.

Wigs can be a real problem for some (including me) in the warmer months. I know a few TS who who have to wear wigs due to hair loss, and I don't know how they can stand having it on all the time in the heat and humidity; I sure give them credit for doing it though.

The upside with wigs is that it is easier to maintain a hairstyle in a wig than it is with one's own real hair, and you can change the color and style as you like, even have different wigs for different moods or female personas.

erickka
01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Hi Alexis. I kinda know where you are coming from, since I really don't like to wear a wig (especially in the summertime heat) but unfortunately I, like some of the others here, am follicularly challenged. IMO, a middle aged girl who is dressed nicely just wouldn't look "right"if she was sporting a nicely polished bowling ball, thus I HAVE to wear one.

sometimes_miss
01-17-2013, 07:30 AM
For me, long beautiful hair is one of the prime things that makes a woman attractive to me. So, it also to me defines 'beautiful girl'. When I was a teen, I HAD long beautiful hair, and would style it like a girls whenever I dressed up. Now, the hair isn't the same, thinning on top, forehead hair line receding, specks of gray, so a wig is sort of just what I need. They're not uncomfortable; you just have to find the right size and style. And don't wash it with the wrong stuff; synthetics usually don't like shampoo or conditioners made for real hair.

Sandra1746
01-17-2013, 08:01 AM
I'm retired so there's more flexibility in my appearance. I also have no MPB problems so I'm growing a head full of long hair. Going on 18-months now and it's down below my shoulders. It is grey-white or white-blonde, or some other non-specific adjective but I like the color. I was at a restaurant yesterday and one of the waitresses had hair the color of mine; and given my guess of her age I'll bet it was "color enhanced". Based on that I'd say I'm doing just fine.

I used to have a buzz-cut when I worked so this is a big change. My wife is OK with it but I did notice she and her friends were laying odds over the summer that I'd get tired of taking care of it and get it cut short. NOPE, it's still growing and I like it. It is now beyond the "awkward" stage where a ponytail is difficult; that's good.

The hair does help with my femme-persona presentation.

Just my $0.02,
Sandra1746

kenzee
01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Sure would be nice to grow long beautiful hair. But not a chance for me. Totally shaved. I dont hav a wig yet but cant wait to get one !

Angela Campbell
01-17-2013, 10:42 AM
To me wearing a wig is no more uncomfortable than wearing a hat. It is needed for me because of a receding hair line and thinning spots. Once it is on I do not notice it much.

Beverley Sims
01-17-2013, 12:57 PM
For me a wig or feminine hairstyle is a must if I am going to look like a woman.

Janelle_C
01-17-2013, 03:20 PM
I have been letting my hair grow for a little over a year now. It's Dow to my shoulders now . I also have three wigs that are a lot of fun. I'm retired now my hair has always been short before ether buzzed or just short. But I love letting it just grow.

Marlana
01-17-2013, 03:36 PM
I also would need a wig to come close to passing.

BLUE ORCHID
01-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Hi Alexis, To me my wig is my Crowing Glory.

Rogina B
01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Wigs are just plain FUN! Change the wig,change the look...Put your hair in a claw clip if you feel warm or wear a short wig...for the day!!

TeresaL
01-17-2013, 08:07 PM
I lost my hair when I was around 30. I'm 65 now. There is a large group of middle age and older here, and that may be what you are seeing. There is also a contingency of younger crossdressers here too, so don't run off. LOL. Since you are 20, you are still blessed with a full head of hair, as I was at your age.

Are any of your grandfathers, father, or relatives balding? If they are, then it is possible that you may be in the future as well.

Lynn Marie
01-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Like Rogina said, wigs are just plain fun. They allow you to have long, beautiful, hair with very little effort. They feel fine, don't cost much, and make us look fabulous. So what's the problem?

Ariamythe
01-17-2013, 09:32 PM
I haven't gotten to the hair part yet. I still have a beard, so dressing for me is a "neck-down" activity. But I agree with the OP about wigs. I don't even like wearing hats!

Being Paige
01-17-2013, 09:38 PM
I have little to no hair on top and what I do have I keep it close shaved most times and just a little bristle it is great for keeping a wig in place when worn. I love my wigs and have no problems wearing them.

rita63
01-17-2013, 10:00 PM
For many years I had both long hair and a beard, then short bissiness mans hair and trimmed beard. Then I got a job with no beards allowed so I started growimg my hair. I've changed jobs since, not employers, and am back with no beards and a hair net courtesy the Minister of Health.
At my age I am fortunate to have any hair let alone the long healthy colourful mop I have.
I know several GGs who have no hair and wear wigs, they get to change style often but seem to stick with one colour, many with their own hair change colour and avoid grey.
If you have you'r own hair enjoy it like I do. I keep wondering about a wig collection like some girls in my trans group have. Changeing style and colour at whim, it seems inviting sometimes.
Just be yourself and enjoy. :heehee:

hugs rita

jaye_cd
01-17-2013, 10:21 PM
In my twenties I had a head full of hair just past the shoulders and if I still had the follicles to have my own hair I wouldn't need to wear a wig. Youth, and my hair, went away. But wigs are fun and give you the ability to change styles / colors instantly to match your moods & outfits. I have a few GG friends who wear all kinds of wigs just for the fun of it.

5150 Girl
01-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Of course on the one side of the coin, there are a lot of short femine hairstyles... EX: Liza Menelli(sp?)
On the other side of the coin, I need not say more than Dolly Parton! She is and has always been a big fan and advocate of wigs.

Fiona K
01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
As has been said wigs are fun and give a range of styles to choose from but the main thing about them is that when I am dressed, made up I am still a guy until the hair's in place.
Only then do I feel right.

LindaC
01-18-2013, 08:17 PM
I've been growing mine for over a year now.

For practical reasons, I'm letting it grow in order to hide surgery scars and a implanted hearing aid.

The fun part is I still have a full head of hair. Been "mamed" twice in recent weeks.

dana 1
01-18-2013, 08:40 PM
I have a closet full of wigs, always trying to get the perfect wig, I'll buy one then a month later start thinking there has to be a better one, one thing for sure I will not get a wig that blocks my eyes, or a wig that is to hot in the summer, I hear they make a wig that dissipates the heat.

mikiSJ
01-18-2013, 09:55 PM
I think there are separate genes for head hair and for chest/back hair. I got my father's full head hair gene and I am about 2 months from a pony tail. (at 66) I DIDN'T get his chest/back hair gene and I thank him every day for forgetting to pass that on to me.

I had a wig when I was much younger and, yuck, it didn't look good at all on me. But then it was a cheap mono-filament wig. I saw some girls at a NorCal event last weekend that looked fantastic with their wigs, but they weren't the inexpensive kind.