PDA

View Full Version : What is your biggest fashion disaster?

Tibby
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
As the title says, what's been your biggest fashion No No.

Mine was a gorgeous little white dress I bought, can't remember what the occasion was for, but I saw this dress and thought it was perfect. Got the dress and shopped around for accessories to complete the entire outfit, shoes, bag, jewelry etc. The shoes were a fantastic pink and matched the bag perfectly, I was such a happy little bunny. Then off home all excited to show it all off to my husband.

Little problem is I am colourblind, very rare for a girl to be colourblind but even rarer to be tritanopic colourblind. I can not see the colour yellow, most oranges appear pink, blue and green can appear the same depending on shade.

Oh yes the gorgeous white dress I had bought was, my husband informed me during bouts of intense laughter, in fact a very very bright neon yellow, the hand bag was a lovely shade of pink but the shoes were a neon orange. To me it all looked lovely, but he assured me the colours simply didn't work. Needless to say the husband tends to check colours before I buy them now, unless it's a colour I am confident I can see :o

Mind it did throw us both into a phase of dressing up in the most garish neon clothes possible which gave a whole load of giggles :D

Dumplingbug
01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Hmmn... maybe it's just a taste in fashion thing. To me a bright neon dress sounds awesome! In fact, one of my favorite dresses that I used to wear in my early 20s was bright orange in color!

Perhaps one of the first dresses that I owned might be considered a "fashion disaster" to some. It was a totally olive green colored frumpy zip-up turtlenecked maternity dress that I bought from the barn-house thrift store I worked at. Still, I LOVED that dress and usually found enough accessories (often fancy thrift-scored bolo ties), stripy socks, and bright cardigans to tie the outfit together in a way that I felt was fashionable enough.

Then again, I have weird-ass quirky punk taste in things like that... so it's often the most awkward looking outfits that delight me the most!

Nikki A.
01-18-2013, 01:29 PM
It must have been the pink fog. But I bought this dlouse at DressBarn that I thought was fantastic. I got home and wondered what was I thinking. Never wore it and I doubt I ever will.

Ariamythe
01-18-2013, 01:55 PM
LOL! I'm too new to this to have a story to tell. Honestly, right now, every attempt is a fashion disaster. ;)

KatieGG
01-18-2013, 02:07 PM
First day of high school, I wore a white skirt, felt really cute all day. Went to the bathroom during last period and noticed you could totally see my panties. :o:o

JennyBaby
01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Before I fully transitioned surgically, I wore a pair of yoga pants to the gym, not realizing that they showed off my "spare parts." Makes me shake just thinking about it! Lol!!

Mistybtm
01-18-2013, 02:23 PM
First day of high school, I wore a white skirt, felt really cute all day. Went to the bathroom during last period and noticed you could totally see my panties. :o:o

I bet all the boys enjoyed that and maybe some of the girls also He He. I am very surprised no one made any comments about it, especially any of the teachers, but maybe they where all enjoying the show also.:devil:

Jenniferathome
01-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Mine, early on, was buying trashy and thinking it looked good. I've licked that bad habit.

KatieGG
01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
I bet all the boys enjoyed that and maybe some of the girls also He He. I am very surprised no one made any comments about it, especially any of the teachers, but maybe they where all enjoying the show also.:devil:

You would think SOMEBODY would have told me! I noticed a lot of people looking at me but I thought they just thought I was pretty LOL

Marleena
01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Probably the leopard print minidresses I bought in the Juniors department. They're tight and short and not for a girl in her late fifties like me. I did wear one of them in Vegas with leggings though.:)

~Joanne~
01-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Tibby, I am so sorry hon, it sounded like you had the perfect outfit only to be blindsided about the colors. Hopefully you took everything back ;) I have never had a disaster yet myself though. I am pretty good about buying things that match what I have already My wardrobe is starting to get bigger though so it may still happen yet lol

Marleena
01-18-2013, 03:15 PM
You would think SOMEBODY would have told me! I noticed a lot of people looking at me but I thought they just thought I was pretty LOL

I think they were too busy looking, or to polite to say anything. It's kinda like a guy walking around with his fly down (don't ask me how I know.lol).:D

ArleneRaquel
01-18-2013, 03:21 PM
In 2010 I attended a CD event sponsored by Transformations by Rori, that was held at a bar in Arlington Heights, Illinois. I was wearing a new red outfit for the first time, on the way there it split down the back. I wore a sweater over the new outfit and had a great time.

Tibby
01-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Miss Joanne, they were added to hubbies collection and led to a spate of neon clothes shopping. I have to admit the neon yellow tights he got I can see a colour but it just looks a type of green. He's generally pretty good at pointing out colours however after he tried to convince me tonight that snow is yellow I'm not sure I should trust him so much lol.

KatieGG sorry but that made me laugh so much, I can just imagine how horrified you were.

So many of these stories are making me laugh, love them :D

SarahMarie42
01-18-2013, 03:38 PM
My fashion "disasters" were probably far too mild to be considered "disastrous"; they were more like fashion "mishaps", but I'm going to go with the times I wore my belts too tight around my middle when I was heavier (and looked like two large globes vertically glued together), and the time I was dressing at my friend's house, put on too much eyeshadow without moistening my brush and blending properly, and ended up dumping it all over my face when I blinked. xD

Cheryl T
01-18-2013, 03:41 PM
My wife and I went out with some friends and I wore a new blouse I had been dying to wear. Feeling a little sexy I wore my sheer lace bra and panty set. Unfortunately I didn't check the mirror until in the restaurant and my wife turned to me and said, "****". I was surprised and she told me to look. You could see my nipples very plainly through the sheer lace of the bra and the sheerness of the blouse. Next time I'll remember to wear a cami.

I Am Paula
01-18-2013, 03:44 PM
My fashion disaster was the years between 19 and 22. I was living in Paris in a hotel with a bunch of drag queens. They dressed me most nights. Enough said? I'm still getting glitter out of my shorts.-Celeste

SarahMarie42
01-18-2013, 03:46 PM
My fashion disaster was the years between 19 and 22. I was living in Paris in a hotel with a bunch of drag queens. They dressed me most nights. Enough said? I'm still getting glitter out of my shorts.-Celeste

xD

To quote Demetri Martin: "Glitter is the herpes of crafts (and, in this case, fashion) supplies"

AllyCDTV
01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
I've always liked the way GG's look in cap sleeves. I bought a few outfits with them and once I had them on, I noticed that they made my arms look like I was "Muscle Mom."

Mistybtm
01-18-2013, 05:21 PM

You are very pretty :). I am sure you gave the student body A good start for the year. :)

allesha10
01-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Ally, I have the same problem, I like many GG tops but I don't think they flatter my chest and arms?

Bree Wagner
01-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Strange, but most of my fashion disasters tend to involve yellow as well. I should just give up with it but I can't seem to let go.

Vanessa Winters
01-18-2013, 10:46 PM
My biggest fashion disaster was a blue dress that I thought looked cute in the store but when I got home I noticed that one side of the dress can be easily lifted to expose my panties, so the only way I can wear it out is if I wear leggings underneath it. Also it doesn't look good without a shrug to go over my shoulders.

justmetoo
01-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Miss Joanne, they were added to hubbies collection and led to a spate of neon clothes shopping. I have to admit the neon yellow tights he got I can see a colour but it just looks a type of green. He's generally pretty good at pointing out colours however after he tried to convince me tonight that snow is yellow I'm not sure I should trust him so much lol.

KatieGG sorry but that made me laugh so much, I can just imagine how horrified you were.

So many of these stories are making me laugh, love them :D

Just as long as you stay away from the yellow snow!

My fashion disasters were all the nerdy male clothes I wore as a kid/teen, the women's clothing I bought as an adult without any eye or thought for putting together outfits or anything, and a time or two when I put some item of clothing on only to move "wrong" or something and have things split or rip. I can't think of any specific incidents like some of the posters have described... :\

lingerieLiz
01-18-2013, 11:23 PM
In early 70s I bought a neon pink nylon very short go go skirt along with a very shear white peasant blouse. So I decide to wear them while driving from Cleveland to Chicago. Decided to take the toll road. Well getting on was easy, person just handed me the ticket. As I moved from Ohio to Indiana to Illnoise I had to stop and pay several tolls. The women laughed and the guys looked like they had just seen a hooker. Never did wear that outfit again!!!

lauren_m
01-18-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm fairly comfortable and expansive with my taste in clothing styles (I have my share of "out there" outfits, but I'm conscious of their eccentricity, for the most part), so I haven't had many self-perceived fashion disasters when it comes to apparel. When it comes to my makeup and overall look, however...call 911!

Beverley Sims
01-18-2013, 11:56 PM
A tight sweater dress that was a tad too small, therefore a tad too tight.
All the curves and bumps showed up without any sympathy at all.

Leah Lynn
01-19-2013, 12:12 AM
In early 70s I bought a neon pink nylon very short go go skirt along with a very shear white peasant blouse. So I decide to wear them while driving from Cleveland to Chicago. Decided to take the toll road. Well getting on was easy, person just handed me the ticket. As I moved from Ohio to Indiana to Illnoise I had to stop and pay several tolls. The women laughed and the guys looked like they had just seen a hooker. Never did wear that outfit again!!!

Now imagine all the truckers looking down into your car and the buzz on the CB. I've seen some "interesting" sights from the cab of a truck.

Leah

KatieGG
01-19-2013, 08:05 AM

:D

If it happen today I think I would be able to laugh it off, but at 14 on the first day at a new school I was beyond horrified lol I didn't ever want to go back

lingerieLiz
01-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Now imagine all the truckers looking down into your car and the buzz on the CB. I've seen some "interesting" sights from the cab of a truck.

I used to love to flirt with the truckers. I had a cool convertable and did pass when young and before CBs. I aways made sure that I had on a cute outfit and a slip with pretty lace hem. Loved to pass trucks slowly.