PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle?

Lorileah
01-21-2013, 01:54 PM
The holidays were hectic. I realized that with all the things I was involved in that over three months I spent 18 evenings at home. Now, don't feel sorry, I could quit anytime I want...OK maybe not :heehee:, but that is moot I don't want to.

But after New Year's I decided to cut back. Now that is a strange feeling. I was sitting at home watching television ( I have no idea what was on...it is all mindless anyway):hypnotized: wishing I was anywhere else. Yes, I did go out but less often. Like being invited to a 'dinner" and being told to dress to impress...and finding out you had to sit on the floor and get a sales pitch about Yoga. The food was good :meditate:.

But here in Denver it is Stock Show time. The big one...23 days of cows, sheep, horses....cowboys. :w00t::w00t: I had not been to the local C&W bar for maybe 3 months. But this would be the perfect time to go; cowboys (and cowgirls) in tight Wranglers. So Saturday night I put on my new dress...took it off because it was not showing the curves I wanted to show...put on another "new" dress that was hanging in my closet. OK, side note, this "new" dress had been hanging there for a month or so because when I got home after buying it it said on the tag "Maternity).:whistling:. Now the holidays did add some girth but I didn't think I looked pregnant. It was a basic LBD (number 32 in my closet). I put it on and although it didn't hug, it looked...great. A quick wide black belt and it didn't look like maternity either. OK back to Saturday...

I went a little early because I don't like fighting for parking. I didn't, I parked right by the front door. This was good because two weeks ago someone decided they needed the stuff in my car more than I did and they broke out the window to get it. Oh, yeah something else, the police do not investigate that anymore. They just say, too bad, we made a report, the criminals had fun at your expense and if you ever see them, please let us know so we can note that on your inactive report, have a nice day:straightface::Pullhair:.

As some here know I was learning to Two-step last summer there but I gave it up because no one wanted to dance with someone over 6 feet tall (even in short heels). This time I carried my purse (I didn't used to because you cannot dance with a purse) and my 3" heels and planned on watching the dancers. I am amazed how smooth they can move. I met two people who realized I had not been there for several months (that feels good to know you were missed, you really do find out who your real friends are). I sat there on the rail watching as the lessons started and noticed there was one man who didn't have a partner. The instructor asked if anyone would "follow" for this man. He was older, I would guess in his 80's. He was sort of frail out there. None of the regulars volunteered (which is strange because they always did when I needed a partner). The instructor told him they would find someone and he started the lesson. When the music started he was still alone, with one hand across his belly and the other in the air, like he had an invisible partner. I had not planned on dancing, my heels were spike and high. But I started across the floor toward him. Just before I got there a woman, the first woman who danced with me, was there and she was trying to show him the steps. I went back to my seat and watched. He was new and he didn't really get the basic steps and when the instructor went to more detailed moves (turns and twirls) they both walked off the floor.

Then I noticed he was back again, one again with his arms in dance position and no partner. I went over to him as the dancers passed him all alone there on the floor and asked him to dance. He was maybe 5'8" so not too short and his eyes lit up as he looked at me. He introduced him self as "Lash LaRue". Lash LaRue was a film cowboy. I thought how cute he was using this name...then I found out it was his real name. His mother named him after a cowboy :) We didn't do the fancy stuff, we concentrated on the basic step and he tried to twirl me :twirl:one time. We both laughed as we lost the beat but soon we were dancing again. He was a marvelous lead. Even though he wasn't as agile as many out there he was polite and he was a gentleman as he directed me around the floor at half speed. The next move was the Sweetheart, where the lead spins the follow a whole turn and a half and you are both facing the same direction at the end with the leads arm over the follow's right shoulder. This was sort of awkward because of my height but we made it work. He never did get the release move but when he threw me out I just ended up in dance position again and we continued. As I said I did not expect to dance and dancing in 3" heels is not easy when you have been out of practice for several months and the lesson ended just in time. He was so happy that we danced and I must say I was happy I did too. I left Lash then and went to see the Drag Show in the other room. Once again I realized that I am not a drag show fan.

I went to my normal hangout just to kill the rest of the evening. There was a new group there. I knew the vocalist and I thought it would be nice to support her. They have a huge following already and they are excellent. Because of the "incident" I looked for on street parking. One reason I didn't before is I didn't want to try and cross Broadway in heels. Well that is minor now considering the damage to my car... I will be less lazy now. Unfortunately everyone else had the same idea I guess and I ended up on a side street( closest to the main street...I was not going to park on a side street and walk dressed as I was...I don't care if I am 6 feet tall...I learned you will lose in heels). The place was packed so the Princess had to wander around looking for a seat. This place is 50/50 mix straight/gay so there were a lot of couples there. Three times women told me how they liked my dress as I walked by. My mind thought "gee I hope they don't know it is a maternity dress...or maybe I am rounder than I thought". But it was nice to get the compliments.

Still I made it an early night and went home before 11. Oh and I didn't see any real cowboys or cowgirls. Maybe I will have to go later next week.:worried:

Foxglove
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't see how a girl like you can stay stuck at home, Lorileah. Don't you think you owe it to the world to get out there and show them your stuff?

Anyway, nobody'd ever catch me (1) wearing heels, (2) trying to dance, or (above all) (3) trying to dance in heels. What can you say? Some girls have got it and some haven't. If you've got it, flaunt it.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Barbara Ella
01-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Just goes to show once again, if you want to have a good time, all you have to do is go have one. Sincerely hope you feel more like having one in coming weeks. Need to keep your eyes out for that real cowboy. Maybe if you ditched the dress, got your cowgirl boots and hip hugging wranglers on and a tight fitting silk blouse with the mother of pearl snap buttions, they would pop out of the woodwork.

Hugs,

Barbara

Lorileah
01-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Barbara, I have thought of that many times. The glitch is the boots, they hurt my feet. I would love a nice snap pocket blouse. I have the tight jeans (easy Karren...I don't wear them often). I should wear one of my peasant (broom) skirts next week...Now there's a plan

stacycoral
01-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Miss Lori, girl thanks for your lovely story, girl i know you hvae alot of fun donw there in the big city, someday i hope to come back to go to crown again.take care girlfriend, i hope you have at the national western, have you ever gone as Lori, hugs,

Leah Lynn
01-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Girl, I always love your adventures! I've danced (with a drunk farmer!) in 3 1/2 inch heels, and it was an experience! I haven't been to Denver in over 3 years now, but I gotta make it out there as Leah and party. YeeeeHahhhhh!

Leah