PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

girlygirl2005
12-05-2005, 05:33 PM
I figure there has been many many threads about this subject, but there isnt anything wrong with another one is ther? lol

Anyway, Ive heard alot of things about names... Ones that you "feel like," ones that "fit how you look, dress, act" blah blah blah.

Id like to know what your insights on names are, and at first glance of my pic, what do you think my name would be?

Reason being, Ive been struggling with names for a while, Ive been through a few, and really I cant decide on one at all. Ones Ive used Ive always never "felt right" using, if that makes sense.

Julie York
12-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Names are very personal and a lot to do with generations and what you associate it with.

My first impression of your photo would be..."Interesting nose for a guy."

Lucky you! Very girly.

But you aren't a Denise. You'd have to put on 50lb to be a Denise.

Now see that's just an association from school. She might have been a very lovely person.

(Hides from denise. There's bound to be one. She probably know Agnes.):D

Sherlyn
12-05-2005, 06:11 PM
I really can't think of a name from a first glance ..perhaps if you had a larger or different pic ..but uh from that 1... maybe a Veronica ...Do You think I look like a Sherlyn ...lol :)

Lissa Stevens
12-05-2005, 06:19 PM
I would call you Amber. That is a pretty name and fits the picture.

girlygirl2005
12-05-2005, 07:36 PM
My first impression of your photo would be..."Interesting nose for a guy."
lol, I couldnt help but to laugh at that as Im not sure whether to take that as a compliment or as jelousy lingo :)

Do You think I look like a Sherlyn ...lol
Hmm, well, for one, your gorgeous! For two, to me Sherlyn is a very unique name, which to me, unique is always beautiful. So, in conclusion, gorgeous and beautiful are synonyms, so in my eyes, yep, it fits :)

I actually like that name :thumbsup: and I agree on it fitting the pic. Hmm, lets see if anyone else comes up with any suggestions. Thanks!

TGMarla
12-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Ummmm, Barbie? Just kidding. :D It's a lovely avatar. We should all look so good. Perhaps Brandi or Melanie.

anna louis
12-05-2005, 07:46 PM
lol, I couldnt help but to laugh at that as Im not sure whether to take that as a compliment or as jelousy lingo :)

Hmm, well, for one, your gorgeous! For two, to me Sherlyn is a very unique name, which to me, unique is always beautiful. So, in conclusion, gorgeous and beautiful are synonyms, so in my eyes, yep, it fits :)

I actually like that name :thumbsup: and I agree on it fitting the pic. Hmm, lets see if anyone else comes up with any suggestions. Thanks!
its only human to be jelous of your stuning womanly perfctsions .

girlygirl2005
12-05-2005, 07:52 PM
its only human to be jelous of your stuning womanly perfctsions .

Stop it, your making me blush :o lol

Emma Chase
12-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Hmmmm

You look like a Marcella to me

Emma :)

DanaJ
12-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Giselle

TeriAnn
12-05-2005, 08:12 PM
I figure there has been many many threads about this subject, but there isnt anything wrong with another one is ther? lol

Anyway, Ive heard alot of things about names... Ones that you "feel like," ones that "fit how you look, dress, act" blah blah blah.

Id like to know what your insights on names are, and at first glance of my pic, what do you think my name would be?

Reason being, Ive been struggling with names for a while, Ive been through a few, and really I cant decide on one at all. Ones Ive used Ive always never "felt right" using, if that makes sense.
I think that the name Sweetand Sassy would fit u. Looking coy but fun at the same time.

Tamara Croft
12-05-2005, 08:18 PM
I think Dannii would suit you ;)

kathy gg
12-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Actually you look like a Marissa to me. I knew a Marissa that looked alot like that photo, unfortuntly not nearly as nice a human being as she looked.....but still, you have an evil twin gg in texas!

ronni
12-05-2005, 08:33 PM
At the risk of sounding cliche,
you look like Honey to me!

Is it okay if I just call you Honey?

Sarah Smile
12-05-2005, 11:02 PM

I have an idea how you feel about names. I too have had (and am having) trouble choosing a fem name for myself. You see, I only recently went from having worn a few girly items of clothing (never really dressed fully) to realizing that I may want to transition at some point. The first time I ever considered finding a fem name for myself was when I joined this board and felt I should choose one for a username. In fact, it took me a few days to half-settle on one so I could register. I'm still not entirely satisfied yet with the name I chose, Amber Dawn. I chose that name because it is the first and middle name of a girl I grew up with and admired very deeply. She became to me in many ways the model of not only womanhood, but of also a fine example of a human being in general. So, I hope I am able someday to live up to the example she set for me. While I love the name and think of it as very beautiful, I'm still not sure that it fits me, really. I don't know if that's because I haven't really adjusted to thinking of myself with a fem name yet or if it is because of the name itself possibly not fitting me. Time will tell, I'm sure.

As to names for you, you look to me more like a Melissa or a Melinda, personally, but as Julie York pointed out, that's because of personal associations from growing up. On that score also, I'm afraid I'll always associate "Amber" with a long-haired brunette. :) It is a beautiful name to me, so I don't think you can go wrong in that sense. Though, you may want to keep in mind that some people think of it as having ditzy or prostitute connotations. When I told my mother about my choice of the name Amber Dawn, he said the same thing. Of course, I chose it because of what it means to me and I don't care what others think, but I thought you perhaps might, so I thought I'd point that out.

Phoebe Reece
12-05-2005, 11:04 PM
The name I use is actually a character I acted the role of in a series of stage plays (amateur productions). I recommend using a name that has some unique personal meaning to oneself rather than just picking a name at random. Perhaps the name of someone you admire (either a public or private figure) would work. Or perhaps the name of some relative or past girlfriend that you thought presented a particularly feminine appearance might inspire you whenever you see it in print.

Rachel Morley
12-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Wow! are you seriously telling me that your avatar is really you?! I don't mean to be rude but you look fantastic! I would say you look like a Nicole (Kidman)?

Maria2004
12-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Or perhaps the name of some relative or past girlfriend that you thought presented a particularly feminine appearance might inspire you whenever you see it in print.

That's how I picked my name. I love latina women, Italian, Spanish, Mexican, et all (my wife is Mexican/Italian ;) ) I felt I looked latina, my guy name is totally not convertable, but I remember to this day, over 40 years later in elementary school, this tall, striking girl who when asked her name would hold her head high and pronounce "my name is Maria Elaina!" My middle name is Andrew, so I chose the spanish version "Andres" for my last name. Maria Andres. As Phoebe say's it does "inspire" me when I see it. Several months after I had chosen the name and had used it, I did a "name" look up, and found it ment "rebellious" in latin, and "wished for child" in spanish. I couldn't have chosen better. I love my name.

I know that doesn't answer your question directly but it's in support of finding a name for yourself, that you will be happy with. I have names for perky little blondes but I don't think you would find them suitable ;)

You look incredible, I liked "Dawn" BTW.

Maria Andres

Carole
12-06-2005, 01:42 AM
Hi Girlygirl

I detect a passing resemblance to a blonde member of ABBA fame, definately a Scandinavian look anyway so I think 'Sonjia' would fit your look.

Kierci
12-06-2005, 04:03 AM
I would have to say Kiara ?? pronounced key-air-a

crossing_over
12-06-2005, 04:32 AM
i have to agree w/ tamara i like danni

Tiffy
12-06-2005, 07:18 AM
I am thinking Jessica or Valerie. But who knows.

April Marie

Tina Dixon
12-06-2005, 07:31 AM
Well my name is some thing I got from MSN, but I like to go by Tina, now your a very pretty blonde and you remind me of Sue Richards of the Fantastic Four, so how about Sue?

Katie Ashe
12-06-2005, 09:12 AM
I wanted a none traditional name, but referenced my likes and more or less me. I picked Katie because of Kate Beckinsale. She is very pretty, and a lovely person. I love Hilary Duff to death, but her name doesn't fit my personality. Ashe was a none traditional middle name that flows. I'm tring to create a different side, for my fem side. Katie Ashe (and my real last name) is the whole deal. They are not shortened or nick names. I have started signing her name on documents now. I have been through a dozen baby name sites, Katie Ashe X is what I kept going back too. It took me over a month to decide, this. Best luck on your treasure hunt :thumbsup:

If your looking for a suggestion, I do like Amber Lynn X.

Amelie
12-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi Girlygirl

I detect a passing resemblance to a blonde member of ABBA fame, definately a Scandinavian look anyway so I think 'Sonjia' would fit your look.

Yea, a nordic name would fit, like Agnetha.

It's either that or a name from Priscilla Queen of the Desert,,,Ralph

girlygirl2005
12-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Id like to start off with a big thanks to all the suggestions!

Speaking of selecting a name that screams femininity from earlier days, from a girl that you admired and such, one strikes an interest. Her name was Ashley. A gorgeous blonde that I used to hang out with. I used to envy her, even though she was sort of a tomboy, but when she god dressed up, my god, I used to dream of (and sort of still do) looking like her, pretty much being her. So thats my insight on the suggestion about picking a name like that. As for everything else, theres just too many suggestions that I do like to pick from. Argh! Decisions, decisions... whats a girl to do? lol

Tiffany Tuesday
12-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Hiya girlygirl,

well, Holmes, going on the avatar ... what have we got:
a pretty girl dressing the way men like women
i'd guess agewise 19 to 25
mega plucked eyebrows
overly made up for day wear
dodgy lippy color
footballers wife blonde dye
dubious fashion sense
(eeek sounds sort of like me)

... so the trademark pole dancer to Paris Hilton showbiz babe look, either to please and pull a man, or to please men and make a career before the looks go.

She needs an up to date catchy "rodger me rigid" stage name like:
Selma Fagina, Satin Myffwany, Ilika Rumpolski :D one people and the press will remember.

Ah Dr Watson, but when you eliminate the possible there is only the impossible left...
... how can a boy looking like that not have a name, if only to get the salon appointment and boob job :) hoots giggles!

Honest babe, joking apart, your husband will give you a name and then you only need worry about what name to give his babies!

hugz hon xxx

PennyAnne
12-06-2005, 11:30 AM
In my case I was named by my wife who fancied the name Penelope. I use PennyAnne on the web, but Penelope in daily life. Most of my friends call me Penny, so I guess there isn't much difference. The name does feel comfortable for me. Seems to me that feeling comfortable with your name is the most important factor.
Penny

Sarah Smile
12-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Id like to start off with a big thanks to all the suggestions!

Speaking of selecting a name that screams femininity from earlier days, from a girl that you admired and such, one strikes an interest. Her name was Ashley. A gorgeous blonde that I used to hang out with. I used to envy her, even though she was sort of a tomboy, but when she god dressed up, my god, I used to dream of (and sort of still do) looking like her, pretty much being her. So thats my insight on the suggestion about picking a name like that. As for everything else, theres just too many suggestions that I do like to pick from. Argh! Decisions, decisions... whats a girl to do? lol

I think "Ashley" sounds like a good idea! Do you think it would suit you?

sherri
12-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Nicole was a good suggestion, and so is Ashely, but I'm with Carole, you look Swedish. I just couldn't think of anything but Olga, and that's no good.

Faye Emmette
12-06-2005, 06:17 PM
.. I think a good name is " I've Got a Secret", (which so many of us do here) but really, a tender name would be nice.
Mara.
I've known two "Mara's" and they were both nice women.
Mara.
Good luck,
XX
F.

anna louis
12-06-2005, 07:41 PM
if thats your picture your just bella im an admira of your natrule looks thers lost sols out ther that need our posertive strenth lets make a new tomorow some how

girlygirl2005
12-06-2005, 11:38 PM
LOL I was really amused by Tiffany's post. Thanks for a real good laugh!

I dont know though... Over the years Ive fought with myself over my name, and Im not real sure why. Maybe its cuz of my insecurities of wanting to be female? Looking in the mirror and seeing a guy instead of the female version of myself. Maybe cuz im scared? Scared that I would fall into the role so well that I completely loose any masculinity that I do have that makes my life tick at this moment. Or maybe its just cuz I just suck at making decisions lol

I like Amber, Dannii, and Ashley... (prolly Dannii the best because its more unique to me, like Ive said before, I like unique names)
Time for a vote! lol

PS I want to thank everyone for their help, I love you all for making me feel so welcome here :o Ive truely found a place online where I can be me :)

VeronicaMoonlit
12-07-2005, 01:30 AM
1.. That you like it and it appeals to you in some meaningful way.

2. That it's age appropriate. I know, it shouldn't matter, but it does. For example a 60 year old Britney in 2005 would create a "disconnect" in people's minds. 60 years from now elderly Britneys, Tashas, Ambers, Zoes, Chloes and the like will be common. This site can help with that:

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

For example, Veronica has ebbed and flowed in popularity over the years, growing in popularity slowly since the late 30's and peaking in the early 80's and becoming less popular again. It was a more popular name in the year I was born, 1967 than it was in 2004.

Tiffany, on the other hand wasn't even on the charts till 1962 and grew in leaps, hitting the top 20 in the early 80's and then fading back.

3. That you wouldn't feel embarassed to tell friends/family/acquaintances/hairstylist etc, the name

That said, maybe taking time in making a decision is a good idea. I'm still musing on whether Veronica is right for me, and I've been using it for over 5 years.

Veronica

Tamara Croft
12-07-2005, 01:44 AM
How about Dannii Ashley or Dannii Amber ;)

lauren
12-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Cassie does it for me. It's a young name that fits your avatar perfectly.

Lauren

danielle65
12-07-2005, 08:57 AM
I like Amelia or Ashlyn

BrendaChristine
12-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Heather

Dayna
12-07-2005, 09:33 AM
It's striking how we all embrace unusual names, or alternative spellings (guilty as charged).

You look like a 'Cathy' to me. Or a 'Debbie'.

SandraInHose
12-07-2005, 11:52 AM

Right on, Lissa! That's also the first name that popped into my head!

Second choice would be Kelli.