PDA

View Full Version : British ideals and rituals

Naomi Newman
01-23-2013, 05:36 AM
just want to say how "british" some of the british can be in the u.k, we call ourselves tollerant of other religions and social acceptance and one of the most accepting in the e.u, and yet as soon as you step out of the mainstream in the u.k, how quickly people shove you out and are "given a title" how difficult it is not only for crossdressers and transexuals, but also for gay couples, i have worked with gay couples and have gay friends and i can appreciate how hard it is for people to be accepted, the u.k needs more gay and different gender people in the right places to help break down the barriers that this country holds so dear to, which for it's own sake needs to break down.

Maria in heels
01-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Naomi...I didn't realize that it was like that over there. From what I see here from the posts, it has always seemed that the British have an open policy and we don't hear much about problems with going out, dressing, or being stereotyped

Naomi Newman
01-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Maria thankyou for your reply, i think in answer, it does occasionally depend on where you live, for example in london u can do alot more than u can say where i live because its so behind on thinking, but as a general rule people dont have much tollerence for out of society thinking, and people dont speak out on it because for those reasons, its like a whisper thats blown in the wind... not nearly enough is done to understand such things over here.

xdressed
01-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Maria thankyou for your reply, i think in answer, it does occasionally depend on where you live, for example in london u can do alot more than u can say where i live because its so behind on thinking, but as a general rule people dont have much tollerence for out of society thinking, and people dont speak out on it because for those reasons, its like a whisper thats blown in the wind... not nearly enough is done to understand such things over here.

It is very different in the North for some reason. In London pretty much anything goes, no one minds. I've been to the McDonalds in Victoria in a long gothic flowing dress with crazy backcombed hair and no one minded. Most of Kent is pretty much fine as well in my experience, as long as you avoid the dodgey area's (and there is more than a few) but I think your experience of the British is a little bit limited to how we are as a whole country. I think our general non-religousness and 'stiff upper lip' means most of the time we probably get less hassle than people do in many parts of America

Shelly Preston
01-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Hi Naomi

I have been out much in north yorkshire and in neighbouring humberside and never had any real problems. A lot of the time you just have to be aware of your situation and surroundings.

suzy1
01-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Hi Naomi.

I am down in Hampshire and would like to add my thoughts on this.
As you say it depends where you live so I can only talk about my part of Britain.

If I went out dressed where I live today I would be looked upon as a bit of a freak.
If I went out on a Friday or Saturday night into town I would be ridiculed and run the possible risk of violence.

Sometimes I read a post that says ‘just go out, you have nothing to fear but fear itself’ and I wonder if they would say that where I live. I think not!:eek:

But I think there are places in London where there are CD friendly clubs but that’s true with most large cities.

Maria S
01-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Hi Naomi

There's probably good and bad parts in all areas in the UK. Admittedly I've not had much experience of dressing in the North. I did have a weekend in Blackpool dressed once. Personally I am a blender so most places I go I'd like to think people don't realise. When I'm out I've had a mother say to her child "Get out of the lady's way" or in a cafe "Can I help you madam" not to mention the time's I've been chatted up and received compliments but that's another story.

Maria

Beverley Sims
01-23-2013, 10:21 AM
If we declare Transexualism and Gaiety religions, we have got it made in the UK.

BillieJoEllen
01-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Hi Naomi.

I am down in Hampshire and would like to add my thoughts on this.
As you say it depends where you live so I can only talk about my part of Britain.

If I went out dressed where I live today I would be looked upon as a bit of a freak.
If I went out on a Friday or Saturday night into town I would be ridiculed and run the possible risk of violence.

Sometimes I read a post that says ‘just go out, you have nothing to fear but fear itself’ and I wonder if they would say that where I live. I think not!:eek:

But I think there are places in London where there are CD friendly clubs but that’s true with most large cities.

Years ago when I was in the service I was stationed near Frankfurt, Germany. There were areas in that city where CDing was very much accepted and no one batted an eye. I saw a lot of CDing going on in Munich also, as well as a few other major cities. I even saw some in Paris when I visited that city. I didn't see any in London, Zurich or (surprisingly) Amsterdam.

andrea lace
01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
I am a small town person and wouldn't dare step foot out side for fear of abuse and violence think Alabama here in the UK

Sandra
01-23-2013, 02:57 PM
We live in N. Lincs and have have had no problems, we also have holiday in various regions of the UK and yet again have had no problems.

Breeze
01-23-2013, 03:26 PM
British people can be very set in their ways and beliefs but can also surprise you and be very open minded! Having been born and bred on this little island....I can say that I am very open minded but I know of many people that are not. It does depend where you live. Cities are big and busy enough for you to be insignificant. Towns tend to be gossipy and you are likely to be noticed and a village well that's a whole new ball game.
What it comes down to is how confident you are as a person. I personally have witnessed all these sites in my local town a GG who wears rubber dresses has blue hair and huge and I mean massive platforms and a snake around her neck, a man going to his local shop with an owl under his coat, a more mature male shopping with small G-string swim wear and not to mention a 10 year old smoking! I saw no sights like this when we used to live nearer London. But I wonder do I just notice them more in this smaller place?!!!

Joanne f
01-23-2013, 04:01 PM
I live in a small town in the SW and have had major problems in the past yet in a nearby town it seems like most things will go , it is pot luck as to what mindless yobbos you have in your town .

biggirlsarah
01-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Britain is a small village with a small village mentality, outlook and perspective , and we always will be. People tend to think of themselves as multicultural , but when we go off to places like Spain on our holidays, we eat English breakfast , insist on fish and chips for supper and drink English beer, although in the larger cities where there has been an influx of different cultures and peoples then because of the diversity then there is a greater level of acceptance, maybe because people are more used to seeing different things as well as so much is going on then there is less to actually notice.

reb.femme
01-23-2013, 04:54 PM
I'll go with "it depends where you go and who you meet". My area of south London, it is a hot spot for weekend night life and general drunken debauchery (good and bad whichever way you view it). :)

I go there occasionally in drab but would have serious reservations going en femme. So to quote Suzi, "If I went out on a Friday or Saturday night into town I would be ridiculed and run the possible risk of violence". I think if you are getting trouble in the UK it will be from the teens, 20s and even 30s. Older types tend to just want to have their night out. But a moron is a moron no matter his (predominantly) age.

Trouble is, it's all a generalisation and is anecdotal evidence at best. I totally agree with "you have nothing to fear but fear itself", until you get a punch in the face. :straightface:

Rebecca

susan54
01-23-2013, 05:06 PM
I think some parts of Britain get an unjustifiably bad press. I have gone out a lot in N England in York dressed as Susan, supposedly a negative, disapproving place, and everyone was lovely. Likewise stuck up Edinburgh - not a bit of it, ditto the Presbyterian Highlands. People are always really nice. I have heard people talking negatively about cross-dressers but never being negative to them.