PDA

View Full Version : Attitude Readjustment needed?

Deedee Skyblue
01-26-2013, 12:39 PM
My favorite consignment is having their winter clearout sale starting today. There was some stuff on the racks 2 weeks ago that I hoped would make it to today - most of it didn't. It is a small store, and it was pretty crowded. I have to move cautiously, as the aisles are narrow and I am larger, and more solid than their 'average' customer.

I found a nice top and a pair of pants, and 2 pair of clip-on earrings that I liked enough to want to buy, at the sale prices. Went to stand in line...

There are 3 women, older than me (I'm 60) behind the counter, waiting on 3 other women, also older than me. The procedure at this store is to take the tags off each item, confirm the price with the customer, and scan the tags into the register. After 10 minutes (really, I had a watch on), none of the 3 SAs had even pulled the tags from all the items the 3 shoppers wanted. Not because they had that many items, but because the SAs and buyers seemed to be discussing the entire history of each item, wrapping it individually, going into the back room for a box or a bag or sheets of wrapping paper, or whatever else.

I took my 4 items - not really super interesting in the first place, and rapidly becoming less interesting every passing minute - back to the shelves and racks, and then carefully made my way to the door.

The sale runs for 2 weeks - maybe the stuff I want will still be there next weekend.

I must not have the right attitude to be an older lady - the women behind me in line (I was next behind the 3 I mentioned above) didn't seem to have any issues with waiting. But, at least I kept my blood pressure under control by leaving when I did.

Deedee :in too much of a hurry?:

Beverley Sims
01-26-2013, 01:28 PM
You will find other places to your liking, sounds like a social group there.

Persephone
01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Yep, Deedee, there is a definite attitude adjustment in going from boyworld to girlworld and it is different at every age.

I hang out with a lot of seasoned citizen women and it is a more patient world. I don't know that all of my friends would be willing to wait in a long line without grumbling but we often have to waits for gathering up stuff, for positioning walkers for those using them, for getting in and out of cars, for finding wallets in purses, etc.

Many older women (and men) do not have much social interaction. They may not be able to drive and many of their friends may not be able to either. They can be lonely. It may very well be that for the older SA's (are they volunteers?) and customers the shop is a kind of social center and a place for conversation so they wait their turn knowing that they will get their time too.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Badtranny
01-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Well someday if you're lucky enough to be a 70 year old woman who doesn't get out much anymore you might be able to appreciate the pleasure of chatting with new friends.

Joanne f
01-26-2013, 03:46 PM
I am with you on that as I hate queuing my blood pressure definitely go's up when I see someone wasting time in" MY "queue , mined you in contrast I went into a small shop last week and found a lovely dark red sleeveless top just what I have been looking for , I held it up and then suddenly a lady popped out from behind a sales rack and said , "I have other size's if you need it are you buying it for someone" , without thinking I said "NO " She then said " That's OK you can try it on the changing room is just there , It was snowing outside (which is just as well as don't want it inside) and the shop door was open , so I said ," I will come back latter when I have warmed up a bit ,She then said " Oh that's OK I will close the door to make it warmer for you , I thought well it I try it on now there is no way that she is going to let me out unless I buy it , so I just said " thank you I will come back latter , she said , Ok see you latter , and I made my escape .
Not to sure which is worse, waiting in a queue while people are yapping or being jumped on as soon as you walk into the shop

Chickhe
01-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Young people are always in such a rush!...

Deedee Skyblue
01-26-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't mind standing in line, when the line actually seems to be moving. If I had really really liked the items I had picked out, I would have continued to wait. But it was things I didn't HAVE TO have. I'll go back tomorrow and hope!

Dee