PDA

View Full Version : My first gender therapy session

ChristinaMarie
01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Hey all,

Well I had my first gender therapy appointment last Thursday, and I have another one this Tuesday and Thursday! I'm very very excited and she seems to be very knowledgable and has worked with several TG people before. I'm anxious to see what the upcoming sessions are like and what we will talk about, but I feel like its a big step to becoming me and I cannot wait! :)

xoxo

Christina

TNRobin
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Congratulations! That's a HUGE step, telling someone your inner most thoughts. I started therapy a few weeks ago and had my 3rd session this past Wednesday. Tomorrow I have an appointment with an MD to begin taking an anti-androgen. That one was an easy step, since what shows is really minimal, but estrogen is something that I'm going to have to put on hold and see where things go. I'm not sure who I am or where this journey is taking me, but I do know I'm finally on the right track.

I don't know where you're at mentally speaking, but I do know that a good therapist will help you discover that or help you out if you already think that you know. I wish you all the best. :)

Girl
01-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Christina, that's wonderful news and congratulations! :) Best wishes for all of the future steps to your true self!

Barbara Ella
01-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Congratulations Christina, on a first step to help you discover more about yourself.

Barbara

Traci Elizabeth
01-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Indeed congrats are in order. Just be totally honest with her yes make sure she is not pushing you in a specific direction. It is you who will know what direction is best for you. She can help you see your path not here she thinks you should go. She is not a GPS but she can hold the light for you while you are looking at your GPS.

Julie8181
01-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Congrats, Christina! I'm doing some research to find a gender therapist myself.

Jorja
01-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Congratulations Christina! You have started what will be a most interesting journey.

AllieSF
01-28-2013, 01:40 AM
Another congratulations. As others have said be totally honest and do not be afraid to ask questions. It is definitely a two way street. Good luck.

melissaK
01-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes, that honest with your counselor thing is important. And we can goof it up without really intending to.

Sometimes we still harbor secrets even from our counselors, we don't want to say things that make us sound too weird based upon what we in our mind think weird is - try not to censor your comments that way.

Also, sometimes we are tempted to start saying only things we think are compatible with being TS - try not to do that either. There's more than one was to be a TS so don't freak out when you want to admit liking doing some guy thing, or not liking something about being a girl.

And for me, sometimes I am asked what I feel about something, and I have a real problem figuring that out, so I would say I felt something that would make sense to feel, but not necessarily what I was sure I felt. That caused problems. I learned to not have all the answers about questions, that its OK to say "I don't know." Sometimes you will not know now, but will figure it out later.

We are all different.

Its going to work best if its a search for YOUR self.

And it can be really, really, liberating to finally say out loud to a human being things you haven't dared say out loud to anyone or even to yourself before.

Kaitlyn Michele
01-28-2013, 11:51 AM
I spent alot of time trying to get my therapist to tell me that i was not transsexual...trying to tell her that i could not transition...and the more i tried, the more i realized exactly the opposite..

Also, I beleive it is important to NOT expect a diagnosis from a counselor...make it about you and your honest thoughts...thats what you are paying for!!

ChristinaMarie
01-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Yes, that honest with your counselor thing is important. And we can goof it up without really intending to.

Sometimes we still harbor secrets even from our counselors, we don't want to say things that make us sound too weird based upon what we in our mind think weird is - try not to censor your comments that way.

Also, sometimes we are tempted to start saying only things we think are compatible with being TS - try not to do that either. There's more than one was to be a TS so don't freak out when you want to admit liking doing some guy thing, or not liking something about being a girl.

And for me, sometimes I am asked what I feel about something, and I have a real problem figuring that out, so I would say I felt something that would make sense to feel, but not necessarily what I was sure I felt. That caused problems. I learned to not have all the answers about questions, that its OK to say "I don't know." Sometimes you will not know now, but will figure it out later.

We are all different.

Its going to work best if its a search for YOUR self.

And it can be really, really, liberating to finally say out loud to a human being things you haven't dared say out loud to anyone or even to yourself before.

This is totally true! SAying it out loud to her for the first time, the first human ever in person, was very liberating. But yes I also realize I need to be very realistic and say how I feel and not be afraid to say I like this and this about being a guy and i dont like this and this about being a girl, nobody is all one way or the other anyways!

silverfurret
01-28-2013, 07:08 PM
I also just started my gender therapy, after a therapy session that had me in tears about the possibility of transition and the next excited about transitioning, it's been quite an revalation. While I've felt nothing but excitement since my last appionment; my only concern is that while super supportive, my therapist doesn't have experience with helping people transition but is willing to have me find a new one while I complete my gender therapy

jennifer24
01-28-2013, 08:42 PM
aWhat can I say but congrats like everyone else, that is a big step telling someone how you feel and letting it all out, just be honest with her and open up. I started seeing my theripist 2 years ago and it really helped me understand what I am feeling inside.
Good luck sweetie!

ChristinaMarie
01-28-2013, 08:49 PM
aWhat can I say but congrats like everyone else, that is a big step telling someone how you feel and letting it all out, just be honest with her and open up. I started seeing my theripist 2 years ago and it really helped me understand what I am feeling inside.
Good luck sweetie!

Are you still seeing your therapist then? Did you end up transitioning? Are you going to see her/him indefinitely then?