PDA

View Full Version : Need to know

Lorileah
01-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Today was busy. I was going to spend the majority at a volunteer appreciation luncheon ( and since I had volunteered as a bar tender New Year's eve I decided to go as...ME:D).

This is the dress I wore. I like it. I thought it was rather middle of the road.

It was just a quick photo when I got home so I could show what the dress looks like

Earlier in the afternoon someone asked "are you just getting back from church?". that was not a bad comment but I thought the dress was a little more...um sexy than that. Then later in the evening a woman told me "Go show off that skanky dress you got there."

Now I am sure she meant that in a good way. But now I am confused, is this a church dress or a skanky dress? Be honest

Bree Wagner
01-28-2013, 12:00 AM
I sure wouldn't say that it's either. It looks like a nice dress for an evening out. It's by no means frumpy and if it's someone's definition of skanky I'm wondering what century they're living in.

-Bree

JBPerry
01-28-2013, 12:00 AM
I don't really see it as either.....I just see it as a casual dress!!! I love the blue belt!

AllieSF
01-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Definitely not skanky. I think it is a nice look, maybe more conservative than you normally talk about. I like it. Does that count?

Davena Doll
01-28-2013, 12:05 AM
Church dress. you go gurl.

Pearl
01-28-2013, 12:06 AM
maybe you could go with church skanky, but it doesn't look churchy or skanky imo. your legs look good, show em off! those other people should take their back handed compliments and shove them right up their...narrowmindedness. so there! you look absolutely fabulous, dahling.

SuzanneBender
01-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Lori is a very nice dress. I think it looks wonderful on you and is a go anywhere style. I am sure that both comments were meant with kind regards. The first one sounds like a true compliment. The second has to be taken in context. Even if they weren't compliments they should have been.

Marleena
01-28-2013, 12:13 AM
I agee I think it looks fine for any occasion Lorileah without being over the top. It sounds like "girl talk" there. I think (hope) it's a way of them showing acceptance.

ArleneRaquel
01-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Very nice and very sensible.

MissTee
01-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Mmm, let's see . . . down here in the Bible belt if it stops above the knee, then it ain't no church dress. It's certainly not skanky, either. Looks like an ordinary casual dress. Now, if you turned around and it was missing the seat or had a sheer veil that showed your backside . . . that would be skanky.

Leslie Langford
01-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Not if you are a member of the Church of Perpetual Indulgence ;)...

BTW - not so sure that the turquoise/sky blue belt goes all that well with that otherwise attractive dress. Maybe that's where the "skank" comment originated from. Just my :2c:.

Barbara Ella
01-28-2013, 12:22 AM
I have to agree with the crowd here Lorikeah, and think the comments were just girl talking and not meant to be mean in any way. It is a perfectly lovely dress and you wear it well. Love the blue belt.

Barbara

Diane Smith
01-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Obviously it's the perfect dress, because it adapts automatically to the environment it's worn in! You should treasure that, and wear it everywhere.

- Diane

Stefanie Miller
01-28-2013, 01:05 AM
Its a very attractive dress. Suitable for business or just lunch. Good choice!

Fran Moore
01-28-2013, 01:28 AM
Not if you are a member of the Church of Perpetual Indulgence ;)...

BTW - not so sure that the turquoise/sky blue belt goes all that well with that otherwise attractive dress. Maybe that's where the "skank" comment originated from. Just my :2c:.

I agree with Leslie on this.........

Cynthia Anne
01-28-2013, 03:14 AM
Not ''skanky'' by a long shot! Perhaps a lil' short for church; but who cares! You look fantastic in it!

Emma Beth
01-28-2013, 04:17 AM
I have to agree with the majority of the crowd on this.

IMHO; since it's above the knee, not really a Church dress. Since it stops just above the knee and not much much higher, definitely not skank either.

I think that in the case of the first comment, that person was just saying how nice they thought it was.

In the case of the other person, they were just jealous of how well you looked in it and wishing they could pull off the look as well as you.

That's my tuppence.

Beverley Sims
01-28-2013, 04:20 AM
You look like a woman serving behind the bar conservatively dressed.
Maybe if you wanted more patrons to hit on you you could wear a lighter color.
Totally appropriate I think, and when not behind the bar just enough shortness in the dress to look good.
Women wear a 1001 things out at night but you can really wear only one ensemble.

AmyGaleRT
01-28-2013, 04:48 AM
Nope, not a church dress; "church dresses" make women look like barrels, I'm told. But not "skanky" either. What it is is a very pretty dress that you wear very well. :)

- Amy

Stevie
01-28-2013, 05:02 AM
Earlier in the afternoon someone asked "are you just getting back from church?". that was not a bad comment but I thought the dress was a little more...um sexy than that. Then later in the evening a woman told me "Go show off that skanky dress you got there."

Now I am sure she meant that in a good way. But now I am confused, is this a church dress or a skanky dress? Be honest[/QUOTE]

First off that is a very nice dress on you and I like the blue belt.
As for the church comment I. Would have taken it as a complement
People usually wear nice clothes to church. They want to wear their best to church.
Your dress can be both depending on how you want to wear it.

GaleWarning
01-28-2013, 11:14 AM
It's not the dress but the person inside the dress who defines what it looks like!

How did you feel at the time, Lori?

Georgia_Maine
01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I think it's a wonderful dress, certainly workable for many occasions and looks great on you. I don't know what church the other ladies go to, but I see shorter and more revealing dress at my church every Sunday! And I thought my church was considered rather conservative.

Gigi

Jenniferathome
01-28-2013, 12:49 PM
It's neither. Was the church question from a guy? Was the skanky question from an older woman? I think it is all perspective.

Nikki A.
01-28-2013, 01:29 PM
I think its a very nice dress. Not skanky at all or that conservative. Its just that women don't wear dresses often enough, unless they are going to church or somewhere dressy. Pants and jeans seem to be the uniform of the day for most women. For me I'd like it a little longer, to the knee, but you've got the legs for it.
She was jealous cause you probably looked better than her.

Lady Catherine
01-28-2013, 04:56 PM
I think it's perfect for a volunteer luncheon. Something i would wear.

rachaelsloane
01-28-2013, 06:21 PM
All depends on how you flip your hair back, casually or with the look?