PDA

View Full Version : What happened to your testosterone?

Frédérique
01-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Recently I came across a fragment of a crossdressing anime online. In it, a boy is “tricked” into wearing a skirt (the school uniform type) by his two so-called friends. Awesome, right? Well, not so fast. I think all three boys were supposed to wear skirts in unison on a dare, for whatever reason, but only one ended up IN a skirt, to the astonished amusement of his friends. Once he realizes he’s been fooled, the newly-skirted boy lashes out, using every drop of his testosterone in an attempt to neutralize any humiliation he feels, but he soon slumps to the floor in despair, the unwitting victim of a prank, a boy wearing a skirt. His friends tell the boy how GOOD he looks, snickering behind his back all the time, deepening the humiliation. Our hero seems to brighten up a little, feeling very vulnerable but changed by simply wearing a skirt – the other boys notice this, saying, and I quote, “Hey, what happened to your testosterone?” Good question...

All of the above is meant to be funny to an outsider or a casual viewer, in fact the anime in question carries a “funny” tag, but I find it to be more revealing, a veritable microcosm of what happens when a boy wears something he ain’t supposed to wear. Amongst his peers, the boy is mortified and angry, but this soon passes, and he becomes something else. The latter scares his friends, I think – what magical properties does a skirt possess, and is this something that MUST be tried at some point? More importantly, what DOES happen to your testosterone when you crossdress M to F? Something? Nothing? Personally, I think the testosterone is still there, ready to ACT, but it has somehow been sidestepped or tucked out of sight by rather odd circumstances. The initial shock of revealing parts of your body that are nearly always concealed has a lot to do with it, plus the unexpected expulsion into a No Man’s Land of repressed (female) feelings...

Coming up against such heady sensual pleasures testosterone doesn’t have a chance, as long as you let your male self “go” and accept change. I’ve done it, and it works beautifully. Granted, I don’t have too much problem with rampant masculinity, but it does rear its VERY ugly head on occasion. If someone or something is bothering me, my head gets filled with all sorts of ideas about what to do – my alleged male pride has been challenged, after all, and my dignity is being undermined! In short, everyone’s out to get me, according to my skewed male perception, and we (I mean I) have to put things right. In the past, I would spend a lot of time restraining my testosterone, and it gets very tiring. Oddly enough, when I wear a skirt, all of this male dross, this masculine detritus, dissipates like early morning fog, and all I did was change my clothes! Not many would appreciate this willful side-stepping of testosterone (to put a name on it), but it has been quite useful over the years. When I dress, the testosterone somehow goes missing...

Testosterone is a controversial subject on this particular site. Many of us MtF, male-by-birth types wrestle with the apparent effects of testosterone on a daily basis – I certainly try to diminish my male characteristics which have been with me since puberty, and crossdressing helps immensely. On the other hand, FtM crossdressers (seem to) welcome testosterone – I’ve seen many threads to that effect over in the transmasculine area. I’m no expert on testosterone, but I know it is there, in evidence, pulling the levers of my male existence, even as I try to distance Freddy from her male self via crossdressing. They say that testosterone decreases in males when you fall in love, and male behavior becomes less “distinct” from female behavior, unfortunately only a temporary reduction. Based on that, what happens when you crossdress and emotionally shorten the gulf between M and F? Are you in the process falling in love with your “self,” the ideal being you hope to create (or incorporate), and this means crossing the “T” in gender terms? I wonder...

But, since crossdressing is initially a risky venture for some of us, testosterone is required to take the plunge, and it plays a role in changing a person from selfless to selfish – how many times has CD’ing been described (here and elsewhere) as a selfish thing to do? Apparently testosterone gets the proverbial ball rolling towards doing something that, at least on the surface, seeks to negate testosterone at a stroke! I guess the boy in a skirt, slumped on the floor in abject humiliation, is simply not dressed properly to make proper use of his inherent testosterone. Maybe he’s not able to do anything because his nycthemeral rhythm is off. His what? It means “daily,” and the T level follows a rhythm that peaks early in the day. I always wondered why I burst out the door en femme at the break of dawn, only to feel vulnerable as all get-out by mid-morning, but it seems the very thing I’m trying to extinguish is propelling me headlong towards adventure. Hmmm. Much like my FtM brothers, I have a new appreciation for testosterone – I know that it cannot be completely blamed for male aggression, or any other traditional association, but something definitely happens when I crossdress, M to F. Maybe testosterone is a spectator, or a catalyst...

Nowadays you can’t watch TV for half an hour without being subjected to commercials about losing one’s testosterone, targeted primarily at older males, with restoration of a man’s sexual vitality the desired goal – health is a secondary consideration, but I wonder what effect this new influx of T will have on an unsuspecting male? Do you suppose some lucky individual, infused with youthful vigor, will think about crossdressing? Hey, it could happen! They don’t tell you about the side effects on these spurious TV ads, which may include the sudden urge to be truly adventurous and LEAP over the gender divide in a single bound. Once the blessed testosterone “propellant” burns up, you’ll be in orbit, around your “self,” in a weightless state of blissful calm, gazing out into a strange new universe. Much like the boy in a skirt, you’ll gradually feel good about yourself – less male, and more female, on a quest that few males dare to take. You can thank testosterone for encouraging you to take the first step! I don’t think anything “happens” to the notorious sex hormone once you crossdress – sometimes I wouldn’t know it’s even there, if it wasn’t for people reminding me, in no uncertain terms, that I’m lucky to have it...

What is your take on testosterone? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Does crossdressing seem to reduce your “T” in any way? :idontknow:

LeaP
01-28-2013, 05:14 PM
[What is your take on testosterone? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Does crossdressing seem to reduce your “T” in any way?

My take is that, in MY body, testosterone is incredibly destructive. Cross-dressing does nothing to my hormone levels… but anti-androgens and estradiol sure do!

Jenni Yumiko
01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
[What is your take on testosterone? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Does crossdressing seem to reduce your “T” in any way?
I over compensate when in guy mode and notice that I am much more of an a$$ the longer I go without dressing. When i'm dressed it's like a big huge Ahhhhhh... it's very submissive Jenni, which is a very huge contrast for a$$hole male self. I and my friend who knows also notice that the effects linger for days, and I am more mellow, sensitive and agreeing.
So I think it is kinda put in check.

Lady Catherine
01-28-2013, 05:48 PM
My fiance tells me that I am much more feminine when (and for a short time after) I am dressed. I told her that was the idea. I don't know if it has anything to do with testosterone or not. But I'm told there IS a difference.

sarahcsc
01-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Hey Frederique!

Its been a while since we spoke. :) I'd love to have a go at your question although I doubt its anything new.

First of all, I believe most CDers share a common condition described in the DSM IV-TR manual as "transvestic fetishism" which is a condition that usually manifests around the time of puberty. Boys with this condition tends to find sexual pleasure in crossdressing. It is clear that one of the major motivating factor to crossdress is a man's natural drive for sex, and that is regulated largely by endogenous hormones mainly testosterone. This is one of the big differences between a CDer and a TG is that a CD is only motivated to dress at certain times ie. when they're aroused, but a TG is in a state of constant discontent with their phenotypical gender ie. they are said to be experiencing gender dysphoria. Testosterone does matter to a CD with transvestic fetishism because it will affect their urge to have sex and/or dress up. That is why, a lot of CDers taking HRT experience a drop in crossdressing urges because testosterone is suppressed.

But does dressing up affect testosterone? They DO NOT affect testosterone level at all. It does however affect the way you perceive yourself and that changes the way you behave although that is unrelated to testosterone whatsoever. As far as I know, testosterone causes secondary male sexual characteristics to develop ie. facial and pubic hair, muscle growth, coarsening of the voice, enlargement of testis and decent, bone structure formation etc but it has very little to do with gender identity and behaviour, which are evident in medical literature. Our gender identity is coded somewhere in the brain and testosterone can't change that. That explains why FtM TGs still behave in a very feminine way (including dressing up) despite growing up with testosterone and having developed all the male sexual characteristics.

I'm a CD with transvestic fetishism, and I used to crossdress because of testosterone, if anything, testosterone has only made me into who I am today and I'm pretty ok with that. I don't dress up these days for sexual arousal anymore, but just to feel normal, but I wouldn't necessarily hate my testosterone. :)

But you might get a very different answer if you asked a TG about testosterone. lol

Kate Simmons
01-28-2013, 07:21 PM
"T" doesn't affect my dressing or vice versa Freddy. Don't know what to tell you my friend.:)

SandraInHose
01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
What is your take on testosterone? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Does crossdressing seem to reduce your “T” in any way?

I'm one of those targeted by those ads...early 50's, starting to notice my body is changing for the worse, etc, etc. I asked my doctor his opinion of those products being hawked, and he just dismissed them as snake oil. Since I get my blood tested every few months to monitor my diabetes, I had them test my T level, and it was in the normal range.

But I am a skeptic either way, and went ahead and bought some Tribulus Terrestrius, which is a natural supplement, so no artificial stuff to worry about. Although I can't say I felt like I was 25 again, I definitely noticed an increase in certain areas. Felt more motivated to hit the weights (no actual strength increase though), and if it isn't too graphic for the forum, I would occasionally 'wake up with wood' if you know what I mean...which I hadn't done in probably 5-6 years. Which in turn helped in the bedroom with the wife.

Keep in mind I am a crossdresser only, not transgendered. I do not have any desire to become more feminine, nor do I want my body to look feminine. I live as a man 98% of the time (the other 2% as a man in a dress!), and still prefer to be masculine and strong. If I were the opposite, I obviously wouldn't have tried a T supplement. But for those who share my outlook on CDing as a hobby while preferring to be a physically better male, give it a try.

Jorja
01-28-2013, 07:51 PM
I sold all of my "T" to the little girl next door. Now he is soooo cute! ;)

LaraPeterson
01-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Hi Frederique,

I've read your post a couple of times and while I find it very interesting, I've come to the conclusion that you are confusing the purely physical with the purely mental. The only way we can overcome our testosterone is through our thinking. You know as well as I that it doesn't just vanish from us when we put on a skirt. It is still there ready to, as you stated, "rear its VERY ugly head." [An aside. . .when I first read that sentence I burst out laughing because I immediately got a picture in my mind of getting a very unwanted erection.]

A very dependable writer once penned these words, "As a man thinks, so is he." No genetic lever in the world can overcome a single strong thought. That probably addresses at some small level another thread that suggested no CD dresses "just because they like the clothes."

For me, testosterone is a necessary enemy. I was born a genetic male and will die one. My T level is much lower than it used to be and I am fully aware; my doctor has told me as much and asked me why I don't want the shot or the pill or the spray. Realizing the hormone is necessary for male health, and realizing I am male whether I want to be or not, makes it apparent that I still need the stuff. The good news is that genetic females have testosterone pulsing through them as well, just at a much lower level.

When I am getting myself psyched up for the next dressing adventure, I know the nervousness is caused at least partially by my constituent hormonal structure. When I begin to think about wearing all the sexy stuff and applying the makeup and hearing the jingle of the jewelry that "ugly head" sometimes wants to rear itself right in the middle of wanting to be completely femme.

What to do? Change the way I think or, in that moment, the way I am thinking. The mind is quite capable of believing a lie, preferring a contradiction, and fooling itself into believing what it sees is different from what is really looking back through the mirror. I believe that for most of us, en femme is much more a mental exercise than physical. We put on the clothes to reflect what we are thinking and, hence, what we want to feel. When that feeling takes control, we are able to put the T in the back of the mental drawer for at least a while as we enjoy what we perceive to be very female. Oh what a rush it is.

Is testosterone good, bad, or indifferent? Yes, it is. And it does "seem" to reduce my T.

Tess
01-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Crossdressing reducing T? Interesting thought. Due to thinning bones I've had my T checked a few times and it comes back in the normal range, but I'm not dressed when the blood is taken. Could a lifetime of being a CD have given me periods of reduced T and affected my bone health? Its another potential cause I can add to the list along with genetics, an aversion to milk, a life avoiding physical labor, and spending to much time laying on the sofa. Osteoperosis...something I share with lots of women my age.

Ariamythe
01-28-2013, 09:52 PM
I over compensate when in guy mode and notice that I am much more of an a$$ the longer I go without dressing. When i'm dressed it's like a big huge Ahhhhhh... it's very submissive Jenni, which is a very huge contrast for a$$hole male self. I and my friend who knows also notice that the effects linger for days, and I am more mellow, sensitive and agreeing.
Totally agree. I get to dress once a week, and the afterglow of the feelings I get doing it last for days. By the end of the week, I'm usually getting grumpy again.

BLUE ORCHID
01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Hi Freddy, I just turned 70 and I don't think my (T) has lessened up any.

Gillian Gigs
01-28-2013, 10:06 PM
I tend to agree with Sarahcsc on this one. After seeing other posts on why we dress, I have wondered how many of us have fooled ourselves into thinking of other reasons why we dress, rather than just look at the truth! If someone is getting "their rocks off" in their "frillies", then so what, it is no different than someone looking at a Playboy, or Penthouse for the same reason! Maybe I have some narcissism in me, again so what!

Jamie001
01-28-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't think I ever had any, and am sure I don't want any.

Jenniferathome
01-28-2013, 10:33 PM
What is your take on testosterone? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Does crossdressing seem to reduce your “T” in any way? :idontknow:

I don't think any physical activity can actually influence your T level in any measurable way. It naturally decreases with age. But as long as I have my mojo, I'm cool.

Michelle M
01-28-2013, 11:30 PM
It's been suggested that thinking about sex, and feeling sexy can influence T production. But isn't T on it's own just a compound or a group of compounds injected into our blood plasma and looking for something to influence? A Hail Mary pass waiting for the perfect hole to fall into, so it can be received and put to good use?

And if the receiver just isn't there, it goes forgotten.

Could it be that we have just as much or more of this stuff floating around in us when we dress? T gets us dressed, T gets us out the door to face the world, and then something else takes over. We start seeing things differently, we relax and start to glide. Hard edges start to soften, rude noises blend into background. And our receivers all slow down and look around at the harsh lights that now seem softer, and crowd that's stopped screaming for blood, and they sit down on the freshly mown grass, and sniff the pretty flowers that have just appeared in their arms.

It's a silly analogy, I know. But could that be happening? We start filling the T receptors with something else? Some natural blocker? In my case, I know the normal male urges and the fighting response fade very quickly as soon as I dress. I become passive and accepting. I still have opinions, but I no longer feel the need to convince anyone I'm right. That's probably psychological, but there could be a physiological component.

Just a random thought,
Michelle

Beverley Sims
01-29-2013, 04:01 AM
My T level has always been low but htat has not affected my lifestyle in any way.

Krististeph
02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
My testosterone is probably in the same place as my missing socks. i.e. : black hole. :slaphippo: