PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination?

Kaye_martin
12-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Girls: Recently I've been thinking about trading my regular Jag S Type for a supercharged Jag S Type 'R' ..... after reading the following I'm having second thoughts. I'm not gay, but I wonder who's next in line for this kind of sillyness. Live and let live... just my .02

kaye_martin

Here's the article:

Larry Buhl, PlanetOut Network
Monday, December 5, 2005 / 04:37 PM
Wells Fargo Bank and Ford Motor Co. are the latest targets in a war launched by anti-gay groups to punish corporations for gay-friendly policies, and, in the case of Ford, one right-wing organization is apparently claiming victory.
Last week, Focus on the Family withdrew its funds from Wells Fargo, citing "ongoing efforts to advance the radical homosexual agenda," according to a statement by Jim Daly, Focus's chief executive officer.
"Those efforts are in direct opposition to the underlying principles and purpose of Focus, and thus a decision of conscience had to be made and a stand taken," the statement said.
Focus on the Family's primary complaint was Wells Fargo's support of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. The San Francisco-based financial giant had agreed to match contributions to a GLAAD media campaign fund.
Wells Fargo indicated that Focus on the Family's decision would not affect its policies toward the LGBT community.
"Wells Fargo firmly believes it is our responsibility to serve every segment of our community, and we view our support for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community as part of our broader commitment to diversity," Wells spokeswoman Melissa Morey told PlanetOut Network.
Another company in the crosshairs of an anti-gay group is Ford, which was threatened with a boycott from the American Family Association last spring due to its pro-gay policies. The American Family Association suspended the boycott when Ford engaged the group in discussions in June, and last week lifted the boycott completely -- just after Ford decided not to renew advertising campaigns for its Jaguar and Land Rover brands in gay publications, including the Advocate and Out magazines.
Neither Ford nor the American Family Association disclosed what formal agreement, if any, had been reached. But a prepared statement by AFA chairman Donald Wildmon last week suggested that Ford's decision was linked to AFA's pressure.
"They've heard our concerns; they are acting on our concerns. We are pleased with where we are," Wildmon said.
Ford spokesman Mike Moran, however, asserted that the company's decision was "for business reasons, not a social statement."
"We advertise our brands wherever it makes business sense," Moran told the PlanetOut Network. "Jaguar and Land Rover continue to face pressure on their marketing budgets and can't support as many publications next year." Moran added that the Ford and Lincoln Mercury brands were never advertised in the gay and lesbian community and will not be, and that Volvo is making a big marketing outreach to gays and lesbians.
Mark Elderkin, president of PlanetOut Inc., which owns the Advocate and Out, said his company had not heard directly from Ford and declined to speculate on the reasons for the automaker's advertising decision.
"Advertisers come and go due to various economic reasons," Elderkin said. "Ford is saying that its decision to not renew its ad campaign is due to business issues, not gay issues. I can't assume otherwise."
Moran suggested that the timing of AFA's boycott end and Ford's advertising decision was coincidental.
"In our view, AFA's boycott ended because, due to our dialogue with them, their officers have a better understanding of the principles that drive our company's policies as well as our wish to not engage in political or socially charged debates," he said.
Nevertheless, that debate has started, and such comments have done little to quell the growing concern among gay activists that the anti-gay right is having an increasing effect on corporations.
"Signs that Ford may have capitulated to right-wing extremist groups are deeply troubling," said Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, in a written statement.
"Ford has been a friend to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender consumers and employees in the past and through its policies and advertising has shown great support for fairness," Solmonese said. "We call on Ford to reject the American Family Association's assertions that a deal has been reached."
The Human Rights Campaign and several other national LGBT groups signed a collective statement Monday asking Ford to meet with LGBT representatives about their concerns.
Activist blogger John Aravosis went further in putting the heat on Ford. Writing on Americablog.org, Aravosis vowed to give the company a PR headache similar to the Microsoft firestorm he helped to orchestrate this year.
"They (religious conservatives) want to destroy us by going after every company that dares not treat gays like they're diseased pariahs," Aravosis said.

PennyAnne
12-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Kaye,
I drive a 2003 XJ8L. I adore it. It's comfortable and lovely to look at. Besides, it's one of the few cars that a girl can easily get in and out of in a straight skirt.
Now I'm going to feel guilty about it. On second thought, I'm really a "New Woman" so to speak. Whould they call me "Gay"?
Strange world we live in.
Penny

Stephanie Brooks
12-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Girls: Recently I've been thinking about trading my regular Jag S Type for a supercharged Jag S Type 'R' ..... after reading the following I'm having second thoughts. I'm not gay, but I wonder who's next in line for this kind of sillyness. Live and let live... just my .02
Well, you know, my philosophical and political perspective has been pro free market (primary) and civil liberties (secondary), slightly more Republican than Democrat. I don't lean toward the political left. HOWEVER, the political right is looking more totalitarian every day. I don't care about special privileges for being transgendered, but I do fear jackbooted compassion. In 2008 the Republicans in government could find themselves in the minority.

Kaye_martin
12-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Kaye,
I drive a 2003 XJ8L. I adore it. It's comfortable and lovely to look at. Besides, it's one of the few cars that a girl can easily get in and out of in a straight skirt.
Now I'm going to feel guilty about it. On second thought, I'm really a "New Woman" so to speak. Whould they call me "Gay"?
Strange world we live in.
Penny

PerryAnne: To be honest my wife is more upset about this than me! Dang, I do so love my Jag and my other Ford family products. I could buy a Volvo but it doesn't do it for me (no offence to Volvo owners .... er I had one once upon a time). What we all need is some more tolerance in the World.

kaye_martin

TGMarla
12-06-2005, 11:44 AM
I posted a thread about this in the Religious Discussion group here (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18908). The boycott was called off for unknown reasons. The religious group, The American Family Association, is little more than a hate group disguised with the wrappings of Christian morality. They can kiss my...oh, sorry.

Christina Nicole
12-06-2005, 12:47 PM
The interesting part is how everyone reads the story selectively. The magazines in question say that it looks like part of the normal business cycle. Ford says that it's part of the normal business cycle. The nut jobs, left and right are howling with outrage, or crowing with victory. I think the companies who are directly involved are probably right. Normal business cycles. Jag and Rover sales have been unimpressive. Advertising dollars are not charity dollars. Companies expect results. The problem, obviously, is that not enough gays have bought Jaguars and Land Rovers. Slackers.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

P.S.
I don't have a dog in this here fight. I don't own Ford stock, don't like any of the Jags or Rovers, and I'm not gay.
CN

cathy b
12-06-2005, 01:52 PM
glad i drive a chevy.

BrendaChristine
12-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Speak with you dollars. That's what the companies will ultimately listen too.

JennyCD
12-07-2005, 08:36 AM
I guess I see both sides of a coin here.

Any group has a right to support or boycott a company that supports or encourages anything that clashes with their beliefs. Gay rights groups do it all the time.

At the same time, any company has a right to support or encourage whomever they see fit. Even to change their policies if a large segment of their customer base expresses unhappiness with them.

All in all I'd say it's much ado about nothing.