PDA

View Full Version : GG Question - Dresses and Skirts and Pants, Oh My!

Stephanie Brooks
12-06-2005, 01:40 PM
This question is strictly for GGs to respond. Please respect that. If you're not a GG, then you shouldn't be posting a response. Thank you!

How often do you wear skirts and dresses versus pants? In what situations do you wear a skirt or a dress?

My sense is that most women wear pants under most circumstances. My observation is that casual shopping at the mall is typically jeans, though dressy slacks are sometimes worn. It is rare to see a woman in a dress or skirt while shopping. Office situations are mixed, but mostly pants are worn. Special dates or dressy affairs are when women will wear dresses or skirts.

A followup: Is your sartorial choice yours or do you feel some social pressure to dress a particular way? For instance, if you alway wear jeans to the mall, is that because you just like wearing them - the feel, the fit, the look, the looks you get - or do you feel some social pressure either to wear jeans or to not wear dresses or skirts?

Thank you very much for any insight you might provide!!!!!!

Cheery GG
12-06-2005, 01:49 PM
HIya Stephanie,

I can honestly say that until i met Lisa....my SO, i hadnt worn a skirt in ...ooohhh...about eleven years....yep, thats the truth

Being with Lisa has brought out my feminity more, and she likes me in a skirt, or dress, which ive now gone out and bought some.

But to be honest, i much prefer trousers, or pants in USA, I find them more practical and im a lot more comfortable in them. I like to wear my pink timberland boots with my jeans or my track joggers and trainers most of the time. Oh and of course my trade mark little tshirts....!

cheery
xx

Honey GG
12-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I do wear pants, jeans most of the time. I run a daycare so it is not practical for me to wear skirts, dresses when I am playing with small children. About the only time I wear a dress, skirt is when I am going out for dinner or something with my husband. And now with winter the -5 temps demand pants.
Now that being said. I do wear feminine blouses, tops with my pants, jeans. Nice jewlery and I would never go without makeup.
As for shopping pants it is, although in summer a cute sundress with sandels is fun. I am not wearing skirts, hose and heels for shopping...

Honey

danielle65
12-06-2005, 03:02 PM
I tend to wear jeans and sweatshirts most of the winter, unless it's for going out to dinner then a nice pair of dress pants or a skirt will do. Even for church I wear pants and a sweater.
Summer months mostly shorts maybe a sundress if I feel like it.

I wear all of my clothes based on two things COMFORT and if I mind how dirty my kids are going to get them. I (we) have 4 kids ages 15,7 4 and 2. So I am bound to get a stain or two here and there. Thus I do not dress too nicely too often, but aside from that I like to be comfy!
Tammy (Danielle65's SO)

kathy gg
12-06-2005, 03:14 PM
How often do you wear skirts and dresses versus pants? In what situations do you wear a skirt or a dress?

HI Stephanie. I would say with winter here (in canada) pants are it till about May. Just not practical to be freezing. The only time I will be bothering to wear a skirt or dress is if we have a party to go to or a nice stay at home dinner. Plus if I know we will have our daughter with us too difficult to chase a toddler wearing a skirt and heels...not gonna happen.

A followup: Is your sartorial choice yours or do you feel some social pressure to dress a particular way? For instance, if you alway wear jeans to the mall, is that because you just like wearing them - the feel, the fit, the look, the looks you get - or do you feel some social pressure either to wear jeans or to not wear dresses or skirts?!

I dont' feel any pressure. When I was working maybe just some, but that had more to do with me wanting to look really professional. Not to keep up with my co-workers. Now that I stay home any supposed 'pressure' is totally gone. At this stage in my life it is just not practical to wear anything that will get dirty easily, that prohibits me from playing with my child properly, or that causes me to worry about clothing more than my kiddo. If I have to worry about getting a run in my hose, well I dont' have time for that right now. I can't keep making sure my skirt is not turning the wrong way or that my slip is showing. It used to all be about me, but that is not the way it is now.

Stephanie Brooks
12-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Cheery, Honey, Tammy, and Kathy,

Thank you so much for your responses! ^_^

Practicality and comfort seem to be the reasons to wear pants versus skirts and dresses. Certainly one practical reason is weather. I grew up in the north, so I can certainly understand wearing something that's going to be warm and protective of legs on cold wintery days. Also, having kids around is another good reason to wear something that doesn't require fussy care. While my daughter is getting older (7 now), when we play I'm usually in jeans or shorts and a polo or tee shirt.

susandrea
12-06-2005, 11:38 PM
I wear pants most of the time, but not jeans.

I'd wear skirts more if I could afford more clothes and shoes.

Lulie GG
12-07-2005, 01:46 AM
I must admit I wear trousers/jeans all the time, it is very rare to see me in a skirt. One of the reasons is I have a bad leg and foot and I have felt over the years they hide this, and to be truthfully honest I cannot wear what I call girly shoes and therefore hate wearing dresses or skirts with what I call clumpy shoes, if that makes sense.

Lulie

Tamara Croft
12-07-2005, 01:53 AM
For years and I mean years.... I wore trousers, couldn't stand wearing skirts at school and soon I was home, the trousers went on. When I first met Tam, I owned maybe one skirt ;) and over the years, my wardrobe gave in and I got a few, but I still didn't feel comfortable wearing them. Early on this year, for some reason, I was out with my mum shopping and I felt this huge urge to change the way I dressed. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I liked the look on the window dolls ;) So now I have a nice collection of skirts long, medium, short and barely wearable lol!!! no I'm not posting pictures ;)

I've always liked wearing makeup and I've always had long painted nails...

When I go out, I dress for the occasion, but I always wear what I want to wear, whether its baggy trousers, a long skirt or my pin strip power suit... I don't dress for fashion, but I do try to look nice. In the house, I'm normally in a strappy dress or joggers.

Stephanie Brooks
12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Thank you susandrea, Lulie, and Tamara!!!!!!!

Lulie, that certainly makes sense. I'd probably feel the same way.

Ultimately, what Tamara said makes perfect sense: I always wear what I want to wear.

monniGG
12-07-2005, 08:57 PM
I probably wear them both about the same. Pants usually when I work and track pants at home when I am having a lazy day. But I have started to wear skirts alot more often now. A few reasons, I know my hubby loves me in a skirt and I also feel more feminine. I really only have formal dresses in my wardrobe for weddings etc.

Monni

AngGG
12-07-2005, 11:24 PM
I have to say that I prefer to wear pants, jeans, sweats to skirts or dresses. Its not that I don't own any skirts/dresses but I do not feel that I look all that great in them. When I was younger/thinner I wore them more often, but that was pre-kids and I was well lets say in better shape than I am now. I am trying to change that so who knows...maybe I will start wearing sexy skirts again soon! I mostly dress for comfort and Most of the time I do not feel comfortable in skirts. If I am dressed to go out I try to look nice but that rarely includes a skirt.

As for make-up...I dont wear alot if any on a daily basis. I dont really like it and most days don't need it(or so I am told:D )

I do not feel any social pressure to dress a specific way. I wear what I enjoy, what feels good for me. Although I do admit that I have a few "power" suits that include skirts, and when going on a job interview or have a meeting I will wear them. But those have been relegated to the back of the closet since I do not need to wear them anymore. (self-employed, retail store)

Hope that helps!

Stephanie Brooks
12-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Monni and AngGG, thank you so much!!!!!!

Monni, as with a couple others, you've a renewed interest in dresses and skirts. ^_^

AngGG, I can understand that. Comfort and personal perception are important!

DragonLotus
12-08-2005, 07:14 PM
About the only time I wear skirts is if I go to a goth/punk club. So even then, it's not exactly girly! hehe

For the most part I detest how I look in dresses (I'm fairly busty and I feel matronly in them, not cute and girlish). I only own a couple, and I bought those on a whim because I thought something was wrong with me for not liking dresses.....I was prepared to force myself into femininity but I learned you just can't make yourself be something you're not.

While I do wear pants, I try to have a polished professional look (nice lined trousers with wide legs and cuffs...oxford shirts and some really nice leather shoes that look just as good with jeans as they do with suits). I keep my real, active length nails painted in the french tip style and I wear just enough makeup to accentuate my features while hiding some of the major skin flaws.

I don't carry a purse. To me they're a pain and it's just one more thing to misplace or fill with useless items. I used to be a real clothes horse, but it costs too much money to maintain, and I guess I've ceased wanting to impress people. Sometimes I do wonder where the femme side of me has hidden itself, but I try not to worry about it too much. I figure it'll surface when it wants to and when it does, I won't fight it. My rather gender-neutral appearance makes most men look right through me, but I know that appearances can be just as deceiving to others as they are to me. I can't be mad that guys find me too "un-girly". Guys that want a girly girl are usually too bossy for me anyway! hehehe:rolleyes:

Nice thread. Thanks for asking us! :thumbsup:

Stephanie Brooks
12-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Thank you DragonLotus!!!!!!! ^_^

Sometimes I do wonder where the femme side of me has hidden itself, but I try not to worry about it too much.

But what is femme? It's how you define it. It's about being comfortable in being you, not being - and not paying for - something you're not.

LaceLuvr's GG
12-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I definately have to say that I wear pants more than 90% of the time. I own 3 skirts that I occasionally wear to work - but when I do, they're off as soon as I get through the front door.

My dress at work is business casual - so the majority of the time I wear dress pants. Like I said though, every once in a while - if I have a meeting or something - I will wear a skirt.

I prefer to be in sweats at home - jeans if I'm out and about.

Missy Anne's GG
12-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi Stephanie,

Usually when I go out to run errands, I wear nice dress pants. I don't like to look too casual, even though that seems to be the norm everywhere you go.

When we go out for a casual evening by ourselves or with friends, I find that I prefer to wear longer, flowing skirts. I'm usually the only one wearing one, but I really like it that way. I have found that since Missy Anne has started to look really great around the house, I want to do the same when we are out together. In a way, I feel that Missy Anne has shamed me into looking more feminine (but it's a "good" shame!).

It is quite sad to see very casual dressing, even when dining in a really fine restaurant. It seems that the only time people dress up nicely is at a wedding.

Earlier this spring my husband and I went to a bridal shower and we were the only ones who looked half decent. I wore a dressy pants suit and he wore a sports jacket and tie. The majority of attendees were wearing casual attire, almost to the point of being sloppy!

Missy Anne and I feel that we dress the way we want to, and don't care if we are overdressed for an occasion. So, we dress to make ourselves happy, and not anyone else.

I hope that I have been of some help to you, Stephanie.

Hugs,

Missy Anne's GG

Stephanie Brooks
12-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Thank you so much Silk and Missy Anne's GG!

Silk, skirts to you are like ties to me.

Missy Anne's GG, you and Tamara seem to have said what most have echoed in one way or another: So, we dress to make ourselves happy, and not anyone else.

It's funny. This last August I went to my 30th high school class reunion. To it I wore a sports jacket and tie. I went by myself, as my wife was unable to attend. Out of the 20 or so guys there, only 2 of us wore jackets and only I was wearing a tie. (Many of the women were wearing skirts or dresses.) As a society I guess we've become more casual in our dress, more practical perhaps.

Stelli
12-13-2005, 02:10 AM
TY Stephanie for this question. It is discoveries that makes us form an opinion and discoveries come from a good question.

Thank you GG's for the honest responses. This kind of advice is worth gold.