PDA

View Full Version : overheard

cdsara
01-30-2013, 11:44 PM
I was walking through a store saturday and overheard two girls that were stocking shelves making fun of a crossdresser that had come in earlier. She said he asked for her help finding some things. she helped him and he left and then they were making fun of him after he left. It makes me wonder the few times i have asked for help do they do that after I leave? I was very disturbed and though about giving it all up. However I enjoy it too much. I just have to find a store to buy in that is nice about it.

renaej7
01-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Its sad that so many people are so close minded. His shopping brought them no harm or ill will. Matter of fact, they should thank him, because his purchases probably went towards their sales quota. I know people talk about me when Im out, but I totally block the thought now. Its about meHAPPINESS for the first time in life. Idiots dont even make the cut anymore. :)

Melissa Rose
01-31-2013, 12:03 AM
Are you really surprised that people talk behind others back? We have all done it. Yes, it sucks when it happens to you, but it happens and will continue to happen. And not only about cross dressers, but to anyone at the edges of the current population norms. So what? Someone may have talked about you behind your back. Are you going to give them the power to control your life and the way you feel? Does it feel good? Hell no. People will talk and make judgements, so let them. Brush it off and move on. You only have one life to live so why live someone else's version of it?

Cheryl123
01-31-2013, 12:08 AM
Give it all up? Oh, Tgsara. That would mean abandoning a important part of your self. Yes, some people will laugh at us because we are different. There will always be people who laugh at those who are overweight, have a different skin tone, and different accent. But many people do not. We crossdressing sisters are pioneers. Some day we will be accepted. Someday the only laughs we will get will come when the color of our stockings clashes with the color our shoes and not because we are wearing a dress. I can remember a time when you could get arrested for crossdressing in public. So things do change and they will continue to change for the better.

Vanessa5
01-31-2013, 12:14 AM
I have to agree that if you let their comments change who you are then they have the power over you. Don't let them. Be proud of yourself.

Kittie
01-31-2013, 12:37 AM
This is called life. Gossip and such behaviour as you have described is common place. I have a friend who works in a hair salon and she said they sometimes sit in the back on break talking about the clients. I think many people have two faces: the professional one and the real one. Much like many of us have a 'telephone' voice.

I once walked into Ann Summers and one of the shop assistants came over and asked if I needed any product recommendations (this was a time when I was passing less successfully than I do now.) I simply shook my head and she walked back to the counter talking to her colleague, about making sales for the day. After a few minutes of minding my own business looking around I overheard 'I think it's a boy' - she thought I was out of earshot. At that point I walked out and passed them on the way out and commented about them complaining about sales and their lack of discretion. A shame too as I was about to get myself a couple of new things!

It's all a matter of how you deal with it. If I was you in that situation, I would have confronted them, but that's just me. Nyan Cat flew off with the last fnck I ever gave a long time ago. :thumbsup:

http://images.wikia.com/fantendo/images/9/9f/Nyan_cat_animated.gif

Lorileah
01-31-2013, 12:40 AM
If it makes you feel better sign on here and talk behind their backs.

Sounds like the SAs were young and they had to rag on someone. Later they probably choose the 70 year old man in black socks

Sarah Doepner
01-31-2013, 01:05 AM
It's not just young sales associates, it's just about everyone it seems. I worked with law enforcement officers for many years and they were trained to be professional and respectful of everyone they met. Mostly to avoid complaints or getting sued, but it was good public relations as well. I remember more than one occasion where they were describing an encounter with a gay or trans person and after it was all over and the officer was with other cops, it was full scale verbal assault to demonstrate they were still as macho as before. It was a sad thing. I only wish I had been more comfortable with my crossdressing at the time because there were things I could have done to address the duplicity.

Badtranny
01-31-2013, 02:08 AM
Is this really a shock?

Every time you think you "passed" somebody read you and gossiped abut you afterwards. The world can be a cruel place for people who dance to their own music.

Tracii G
01-31-2013, 02:57 AM
Live your life and don't let them get to you.
I can't tell you how many times I have heard comments or giggling, act like its nothing and walk away.No sense in arguing with haters.
There are times when you should say something but that is a case by case decision we all have to make.
If they got up in my face I would say something but always be the better person but make your point then walk away with dignity.

Rachelakld
01-31-2013, 03:20 AM
I've on occassions while walking through the shop, I gone back and complimented them on their hair, or how attractive they look, or expressed how I wish I had their hips etc. I like to think it makes a more pleasent interaction, and I get better service and pleasantries on my re-visits.

Diversity
01-31-2013, 03:22 AM
As crossdressers we must recognize that these things will occur. It is really only natural that they do, since we are doing something which is out of the 'norm' in our society. So, since we know this, then it is clear that we must have a somewhat harder shell and just learn to accept that there will be those instances where such comments will occur. Your course of action is the right one. Don't give up something that you enjoy, when it is an inherent part of your spirit. Go with the flow, ride the ripples along the way, and enjoy being you. Finding another place to shop is a good idea, and it now becomes their loss in sales, a customer, and the referals the customer could have given to others. They lose. Not you!
Di

Cheryl T
01-31-2013, 03:37 AM
People will always do that behind someone's back. They are too afraid to say anything to their face and just show their ignorance when they talk like that.
It's like all the people who will cut you off on the road but would never cut in line at the bank for fear someone would say something to them and call them out.
Ignore them, don't let them take away your enjoyment because of their petty nature.

Kate Simmons
01-31-2013, 05:53 AM
The reality of it is that sales people have to be nice to a customer's face for business. There is never any guarantee what they will talk about after that customer leaves.:)

sometimes_miss
01-31-2013, 06:00 AM
Just another excellent thread, and examples of why the world doesn't accept us the way so many people here seem to think it does. The world is not a friendly place for crossdressers.

BLUE ORCHID
01-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Hi Sara, If they are talking about me then they are leaving you alone.

You just can't fix STUPID.

Ressie
01-31-2013, 09:02 AM
It would be fun to go shopping just to get them talking about you afterwards. Learn to laugh at yourself and there won't be anything to worry about. You could even make comments that would blow their minds or make their day.

Sara Jessica
01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
It would be fun to go shopping just to get them talking about you afterwards. Learn to laugh at yourself and there won't be anything to worry about. You could even make comments that would blow their minds or make their day.

Yep, accept yourself and understand that others will likely see you for who you are and life gets much easier.

Is this really a shock?

Every time you think you "passed" somebody read you and gossiped abut you afterwards. The world can be a cruel place for people who dance to their own music.

This is why passing is such an overrated term. No one has any way of knowing what happens in their wake.

Just another excellent thread, and examples of why the world doesn't accept us the way so many people here seem to think it does. The world is not a friendly place for crossdressers.

Is this supposed to be a reason not to step out from behind closed doors? I find that the world an be a very accepting place for those who are TG and if someone wants to laugh behind my back, what do I care? I wouldn't trade away all of the positive interactions and experiences on the off chance I might be someone's topic of conversation at their dinnertime.

genevie
01-31-2013, 09:18 AM
Everybody talks behind your back. Family does it to your face. Life is really hard if you are in any way different. For the people who support you, those are the ones we really cherish. Your story makes me very sad and want to chuck it all also. But you have a place here where you are supported and heard. Take care of yourself first. You are important, as are all of your feelings.

Jenara
01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
If I had been the one who overheard this I probably would have given the sales associates a piece of my mind. Don't be afraid to come to the defense of one of your sisters. Of course maybe this is just the Angry Italian in me.

Tammy Nowakowski
01-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Are you really surprised that people talk behind others back? We have all done it. Yes, it sucks when it happens to you, but it happens and will continue to happen. And not only about cross dressers, but to anyone at the edges of the current population norms. So what? Someone may have talked about you behind your back. Are you going to give them the power to control your life and the way you feel? Does it feel good? Hell no. People will talk and make judgements, so let them. Brush it off and move on. You only have one life to live so why live someone else's version of it?

Are you really surprised that people talk behind others back? No i'm not i here it here all day long
yes we do have one life why not make it the best you can..

SarahLynn
01-31-2013, 10:27 AM
Many years ago i purchased some hosery from a big name department store. As I was paying for them the sales assoicate asked if they were for me. Without a hint of time to wait I asked her, "Does it matter"? Her eyes dropped to the counter as she replied, "No". By turning the tables on her I both embarressed her and taught a lesson. The fact they were for my wife matters not anymore but at the time I knew I'd won the game.

Had I overheard them I'd have been inclined to march over and ask, "Ladies, does it matter?" Then stated, "If it doesn't matter then find something else to talk about because this one sale may be the one which keeps the store open and you on the job." Then I'd leave using as straight a catwalk as I can perform.

SarahLynn

Jenniferathome
01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Sara, it isn't just about a guy in a dress. It could have been about a fat person or a pimply person or a guy with a mullet or a facial hair on a woman or ..... The point is, the cross dresser was taken care of. He had a good time. Why worry about something said that you didn't hear and never will?

I think the gossip is directly proportional to how you carry and present yourself. Present yourself as a joke and the gossip rises. Present with confidence and a "who give a frick" attitude and there isn't much to gossip about other than "That was a guy."

I Am Paula
01-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Remember, that during the lull between patrons, they also laugh at:
-Guys in hip hop gear.
-Girls with 'juicy' embroidered on their butt.
-Old ladies in 'virtual reality' sunglasses.
-Anybody with a bluetooth. (They deserve it).
-Guys or girls with the brim of their hat facing any direction but forward.
-Flat chested girls, or guys with moobs.
Yes, people talk, gossip, and laugh at other people. Call it human nature, but at least they're mostly equal opportunity about it.

Barbra P
01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
There is a saying I try to keep in mind, “consider the source”. In this case what is the source? Two girls (I’m guessing young?), in a dead-end boring job, that more than likely pays little more than minimum wage, a job that is virtually without any form of personal gratification for having done a good job. One of the things these girls can share and talk about is the customers that come in the store and the customers are something they will, and do, talk about. Anything that sets one customer apart from the other customers is gist for conversation in their mundane dreary existence while on the job. When you consider the source you might come to the conclusion that these girls are girls you should feel sorry for, after all the most exciting thing in their lives to talk about was a customer that just happens to be a cross dresser.

BillieJoEllen
01-31-2013, 11:53 AM
It's not just young sales associates, it's just about everyone it seems. I worked with law enforcement officers for many years and they were trained to be professional and respectful of everyone they met. Mostly to avoid complaints or getting sued, but it was good public relations as well. I remember more than one occasion where they were describing an encounter with a gay or trans person and after it was all over and the officer was with other cops, it was full scale verbal assault to demonstrate they were still as macho as before. It was a sad thing. I only wish I had been more comfortable with my crossdressing at the time because there were things I could have done to address the duplicity.

When I was fifteen (many years ago) I was privy to a conversation that some cops were having. They were putting down a crossdresser that had been reported to them in a local department store. They went and arrested him/her (you could get arrested for CDing back then). They didn't have any kind things to say about the CDer. Thats just one of many reasons I'm so private about my CDing although I have ventured out on ocassion.

Meg East
01-31-2013, 11:57 AM
If the sales associates had enough time to dish a customer then the store management had the place overstaffed.

Having done retail management in an earlier life I always told my employees it was easier to lose a customer than to gain a new one. People shop where they feel welcomed by the staff.

daviolin
01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
My thoughts perfectly. "Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone."

arbon
01-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Don't let it get to you. Most people don't understand and it is weird to them. And some people are just plain mean to. You can't let what you fear they think matter to you, because really it does not matter. Go out and enjoy yourself.

Paula T
01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
two friends and i went out to a mainstream nightclub (expensive) and it was packed. We wandered around for a while looking for a place to sit. (there was none) while we were looking I was aware of a few who were looking at us (2 gurls and 1 GG) and I just tried to go with the flow so to speak. I smiled at folks and said Hi to those that said it first. I knew there was going to be talking behind our backs but was just playing out in my head and trying to figure out was it because I was a tall girl with a fur jacket or what. Before we left I didn't really care anymore as It was fun for a little while. It would have been more fun if we could have found a place to sit.:) The waitresses were trying to help us too and were very nice and respectful to us and that helped.:) I now am at the age that it doesn't bother me as much but maybe still just a little bit.:o

Shiny
01-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Gossip has been around since the human model came out, that won't change. And people are cruel too! Just going out on Halloween once or twice showing my legs off sent the gossipmeter into the red for weeks if not months. Took a long time for the whispers to quit and even longer until the sideways glances and smirks to quit. It takes a lot of folks to make a world, a whole lot. It's best to live life observing the "golden rule." Personally, I don't judge, I'm a live and let live type. I just avoid the snips and snitches like a plague.

The worst thing about gossips is that it's an issue with self esteem! The people always throwing barbs at others trying to defame or debase them are only trying to pull themselves up and increase their self importance by downtrodding someone else. This ultimately has only the effect of showing such a persons true self, a jerk. And the amazing thing is that these people will single someone out and say they're gay or some other disparaging tag whether it's true or not! They will actually make things up to hurt others irregardless of whether it's true or not! And that just isn't fair. I agree with most others here, live your life on your own terms and the heck with everyone else. It's what you think that matters, not what anyone else thinks. It's like when a guy gets a better car or a raise in pay or wins a trophy at golf or something--somebody will be jealous and try to drag that person down for even that!

I often think that God put the trials and tribulations, and the jerks on Earth to remind us that this is not Heaven!

Debra Russell
01-31-2013, 12:35 PM
as long as they wern't being nasty about it -- after all .. think about it ! it is pretty funny after all ... really! a guy in a dress! we are CROSSDRESSERS .....................Debra

Beverley Sims
01-31-2013, 12:36 PM
I adopt the view that it is gossip between two SA's. If they are talking about me behind my back I must have made an impression on them.
They are also leaving someone else alone for the time being.

Foxglove
01-31-2013, 12:42 PM
In this little town that I live in where absolutely everybody knows me, there's no telling what people are saying about me behind my back. Sometimes I think, "I wish I knew. . .", and then wisdom prevails and I tell myself, "You don't want to know." What does it matter to me? Nobody says anything nasty to my face, so why worry about what they're saying elsewhere? I'm happy now. Am I going to go back to my old life because I'm worried about what people are saying? I don't think so. If I'd do that, there was no point in coming out of the closet to begin with.

I read a little story one time, and for the life of me I can't recall who it was told about. I'd have to go back through my notes, and I can't be bothered right now. Unless I'm mistaken, it concerned a well-known ancient philosopher, possibly Aristotle, but I'm not at all sure of that.

Anyway, one day some of his followers came to him and told him that people were saying some awful things about him behind his back. He replied, "That's alright. They can even kill me if they want to, as long as I'm not there."

Annabelle

sometimes_miss
01-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Is this supposed to be a reason not to step out from behind closed doors? I find that the world an be a very accepting place for those who are TG and if someone wants to laugh behind my back, what do I care? I wouldn't trade away all of the positive interactions and experiences on the off chance I might be someone's topic of conversation at their dinnertime.
My point is that there are a lot of people here who think that going out crossdressed will have no effect on their lives, that no one really cares at all. I'm sorry to tell you that people talking behind your back is not the limit of what is the worst that can happen. There are a lot of people who not only think we're odd, but truly don't like us, some to the point where they'd happily see us dead. And while it rarely goes that far, I've seen plenty of homosexual people discriminated against behind their backs, and have absolutely no doubt that it happens to crossdressers as well. Sure, you can argue about the legal ramifications all you want, but when they want to hurt you (physically, financially, or just to make your life difficult), they'll find a way to do it. All because they just don't like us.

PertyX
01-31-2013, 01:24 PM
I guess there are a few people short on life experience and tolerance. Don't take it personally, these people aren't intelligent enough to think things through.

To offer an alternative viewpoint, the thought that I might get giggled at by two pretty shopgirls, when I buy heels or a suspender belt, actually increases the excitement for me. But then I'm a special case; almost everything gets my imagination going...

X

Christinedreamer
01-31-2013, 01:26 PM
Many years ago I frequently bought lingerie at a little store in Pasadena, CA. I was always looking for super elegant peignoirs. On one memorable visit, there were two GGs in the store when I came in. Fern, the owner, told me that she had just visited the apparel mart (wholesalers) and found some gowns I would love. I was already well over the embarrassment of others knowing I was a CDer.

Both GGs were quite vocal with their negative opinions and asked Fern why she would sell to 'transvestites'. She immediately responded that she had a very large and dedicated clientele of CDers and that we had excellent taste, were very nice and friendly and as a general rule, spent way more than the ladies ever did and that she thoroughly enjoyed our company. Fern even made special trips and purchases just for us as she knew many of us liked the super frilly long gowns etc and bought several in each color and design. She even hosted special after hours shopping times for us and served refreshments. We always had a ball and she made beaucoup bucks.

The 'ladies' loudly expressed their disbelief and disdain and Fern ever so nicely simply said "Sorry you feel that way. Well you two have a nice day. I need to help this gentleman pick out a few nightgowns now."

That day I spent 500.00 with her and left the store on cloud nine.

Heisthebride
01-31-2013, 01:38 PM
To be fair, would you have noticed or commented on them making fun of an overweight person, or an older woman buying age inappropriate clothing, or how their boss is a bitch. People talk. They may not always say the right thing, but they will talk.

Enjoy yourself, express yourself, worry less about them and be happy in who you are.

susan54
01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Heisthebride is right. Some shop staff will insult anyone. I know really gorgeous, elegant GGs who hate going into certain clothes shops because the young women working there are so unpleasant to anyone not in their own age group. This is not about us - it is about them - they are just inadequate people who try to make themselves feel better by putting everyone else down. Forget about them.

Stephanie47
01-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Sara, do -you really expect total acceptance by everyone for everyone. The true nature of your family and friends becomes known when they feel comfortable enough with you to perceive that you probably think like them. It's anyone who is different than themselves. People I've known for decades talk disparagingly of gays and lesbians, transgenders, blacks, Asians, Jews, Catholics. all ethnic peoples, fat people, skinny people, young people. how they dress, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Washington State just passed a law affirming same sex marriage. That was long after the law was passed to protect gays and lesbians and forms of gender expression (US). My small city of 200,000 has gone further and explicitly protects the same in employment and housing. What is always interesting is the large percentage (not quite 50 %) who feel it is OK to discriminate against those they do not like. There would not be a need for hate crimes laws, if there wasn't hate.

rita63
01-31-2013, 05:06 PM
`figured if I was the most entertaining thing in their lives it said more about how sad their life was than anything bad about me. Many of the women I work with see cross dressers as the freaks who get programmed on Montel or Maury or some other second rate show. Real life is always more interesting and exciting than "reality".

hugs rita

CassandraSmith
01-31-2013, 06:57 PM
I might consider calling the store and simply asking them to have a talk with their sales agents and stress that negative speech may have lost a customer. You don't even have to say what it is. It would be the same if they were going on and on about some 70 year-old mans boney legs or how some old lady had more wrinkles than a prune. Really, that's just unprofessional on any level. I'm not about controlling what people think but rudeness is just not acceptable if they're trying to run a business.

CassandraSmith
01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
I guess there are a few people short on life experience and tolerance. Don't take it personally, these people aren't intelligent enough to think things through.

To offer an alternative viewpoint, the thought that I might get giggled at by two pretty shopgirls, when I buy heels or a suspender belt, actually increases the excitement for me. But then I'm a special case; almost everything gets my imagination going...

X

That's an interesting strategy. Tell them that when they make fun of us, it's a turn on and a thrill. That would likely slow them down a little. Consider the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spny9p0G_yc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9PWqFEGkK4

Megan70
01-31-2013, 07:23 PM
( how do I ever follow the double video above me?)I have a rule that I never look over my shoulder when leaving a place. What goes on or is said is no concern to me and only adds paranoia which I stopped having 10 years ago. It was replaced with CONFIDENCE and who gives a S---!. I sometimes like to reverse the situation, throw the ball back and embarrases them next day as sugary sweet saying..." whats the matter hon never seen a transvestite before hmmmm? Well we'll have to fix that right now, you've got 10 minutes I tell you all about 'us' and answer your '20' questions before you even ask them. Whatddaya say sweets?"
It floors them, makes them smile and give girlish laugh, give me a high 5 and we become gossipy girlfriends for the moment and great gilfriend customers from then on. The barrier( for them) is broken. Its cool, and It works.

Diane Smith
01-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Although it isn't always possible, I like to leave the staff behind with a big enough commission (or tip) that they won't harbor any negative feelings about my visit, and will be anxious to be the one serving me the next time. I know several SAs who have told me they look forward to my visits, and I think they're sincere as far as that goes, although if the truth is told, it's probably not entirely due to my sparkling personality. If they have to say anything at all after I leave, I'm hoping the conversation goes something like, "she's an ugly woman, but she just spent $500!" :)

- Diane

jjjjohanne
02-01-2013, 10:50 PM
If George Costanza were a crossdresser, he would go out dressed and leave a tape recorder to see what the SA's said about him after he left. I would probably take a plain-clothed (DRAB) friend to stay behind. I really want to try that one day! Am I as nuts as Costanza?

Michelle (Oz)
02-02-2013, 12:48 AM
Would I prefer people to make fun of me to my face or after I leave? Hmmm, hard one.

luscious
02-02-2013, 12:54 AM
TELL US SOMETHING BAD ON HERE ABOUT THE SALES LADIES LOOKS. LOL LOL LOL lol lol lol lol

did THEY HAVE HAMMER TIME FEET? did they look homely?

i bet you can think of something! maybe even a few things.

k lynn
02-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Its never going to stop but it should people make fun of each other all the time we or all different and others just dont see it untill they are the ones being made fun of

mikiSJ
02-02-2013, 10:48 AM
That happened to me just before christmas. I went into a Nordies in San Jose to get some tights and thought I was in boy mode, I made it obvious they were for me. The first SA I talked to was a holiday temp, and the next SA had to go back to the storeroom for my size.

I paid for the tights and as I was walking away I heard the giggles. Well, what can you do?

Nikki50/50
02-08-2013, 03:33 AM
Bleh. We've all done it. No pot calling a kettle blackened, here...
But have some fun with it. REALLY give them something to gape at. Grow a full beard and 'stache. Go in fully dressed like that, and in the 'manliest' voice you can muster, ask where they keep the Nair products.

Foxglove
02-08-2013, 03:57 AM
But have some fun with it. REALLY give them something to gape at. Grow a full beard and 'stache. Go in fully dressed like that, and in the 'manliest' voice you can muster, ask where they keep the Nair products.

Not for me, thanks. That wouldn't be my approach at all.

Annabelle

Kathy4ever
02-08-2013, 05:32 AM
I know this happens a lot. people are made fun of all the time. Mostly it is secret behind peoples backs. Woman are scorned alot as they are too fat for that bottom item or they are too fat for that top and showing fat stomachs. There many things people talk about. They have a poor sense of themselves and they can only feel better about themselves if they are knocking others. Hate to say it but it is the way of the world. Right or wrong it happens. I think it is better that they don't do it to your face. That would make you feel bad. If you can't handle it then you should jsut stay home and be private. It would be nice if people didn't gossip or talk negative but we all have to have thick skin if we are going to go out. People are just insensitive at times. They have boring lives and this is there only entertainment I guess.

Jessica86
02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Women do this all the time. "Did you see those shoes she had on? Jeeze!" "How about that dress? Oh, my God that was awful!" You hear that all of the time about OTHER girls walking around. I'm yet to hear anything bad said to my face while I have been out dressed. That's really what I care about. You can say whatever you want, just make sure it is at the right time.

sometimes_miss
02-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Women do this all the time. "Did you see those shoes she had on? Jeeze!" "How about that dress? Oh, my God that was awful!" You hear that all of the time about OTHER girls walking around. <snip>
What's even worse, is that they talk about their friends the same way, to the point where that friend winds up looking ridiculous to the rest of the world because her 'friends' won't tell her how bad she looks; they all say wonderful things to her face, and criticize her behind her back. And I see this happen a lot, with women. I made the mistake of trying to tell one, once; and got reamed out for it, seemed she insisted 'all her friends' thought she looked wonderful with the offending haircut. To this day, she resembles a cockatoo, and has no idea what people really think, because none of her friends will tell her.

Sara Jessica
02-08-2013, 09:52 AM
My point is that there are a lot of people here who think that going out crossdressed will have no effect on their lives, that no one really cares at all. I'm sorry to tell you that people talking behind your back is not the limit of what is the worst that can happen. There are a lot of people who not only think we're odd, but truly don't like us, some to the point where they'd happily see us dead. And while it rarely goes that far, I've seen plenty of homosexual people discriminated against behind their backs, and have absolutely no doubt that it happens to crossdressers as well. Sure, you can argue about the legal ramifications all you want, but when they want to hurt you (physically, financially, or just to make your life difficult), they'll find a way to do it. All because they just don't like us.

I didn't bring up any legal issue at all.

As far as reasons to stay in the closet, yours are not very compelling. A snicker here and there, that "a-ha" moment when we're read, an incredulous SA who cannot compute the TG in their midst....these things are for the most part harmless if you have some decently thick skin.

Regarding the potential for physical violence, if our travels take us mostly to places any other woman would go, our risk shouldn't be much higher than that of a natal female.

I don't know how someone would discriminate against me behind my back but regardless, I choose to have one foot in the real world while keeping the other one grounded in a way to secure my privacy. This calls for taking certain precautions, none of which really have hurt the fulfillment I have gotten from being out in this wonderful world of ours. And if someday I do find myself outed, no one can hold anything over my head to hurt me financially or make my life difficult because I'm in a place mentally where I can deal with this. They can hold no sway over me.

CynthiaD
02-08-2013, 05:19 PM
I worked as a teacher for a number of years, and after that experience having people talk behind my back doesn't bother me.

(Have you ever talked about your teacher behind her back?)

Angie G
02-08-2013, 06:12 PM
The world is full of morons hun. Don't let it get to you.:hugs:
Angie

Alice Torn
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
It is just human nature, and we all do it sometimes, about other people. Come on and be honest! Have not everyone of us snickered, or gossiped about others? Yes Yes, a thousand times, yes! Let them who have not snickered or gossiped cast the first stone. Sadly, it is all over the world. Not just in America , Canada, or the U.K. Religious, ethnic, politcal, grudges, down to the personal level. We have to work to be aware of it, aand work on ourselves to live and let live, unless, there is threat to life. I went out once, to several stores, and let them know I was a CDer, asking some female cashiers if they could tell. The clown comedian side of old serious me comes out, and it takes the pressure off.