PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a therapist in Indianapolis?

Emjay
01-31-2013, 12:43 AM
Hi,

I've reached the point in my life where I REALLY feel the need to find a therapist/counsellor/psychologist to help me address my gender identity and where I need to go from here. I feel as though I'm at a crossroads in my life and it's way past time I do something about it.

I'm hoping that someone on here might have some experience, either good or bad, with some or any of the therapists in the Indianapolis area. A quick search on Psychologytoday.com lists a few pages of people who list transsexual issues as something they address but nothing about the amount of experience that they have, if it's a speciality or just an afterthought etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aimee20
01-31-2013, 01:14 AM
I haven't done much in Indianapolis besides drive through but as far as finding a therapist goes, you can always contact the ones you have found on psychology today by email to ask about their experience and specialty in treating transsexuals. Aside from that your greatest resource would be any local support groups, they will have a much better knowledge of the area. There may be a few members here from your area but that is going to be a pretty small sample size as opposed to any local groups you could find.

Emjay
01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Very true, and thank you. I'm also looking into local groups but I thought I would ask here as well. IXE here in Indy looks promising and they do reference a few local therapists on their site as well.

Inna
01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I know.......they all seem to go around in circles..........

I hope you have a good sense of humor, LUV!

Ana5551
02-04-2013, 05:20 PM
I never used this therapist.... However she did give me info and guidance via email at no charge. She was highly recommended but I found one in my area.

http://micheleomara.com/

Nicole Erin
02-04-2013, 09:51 PM
IXE here in Indy looks promising and they do reference a few local therapists on their site as well.
IXE is more of a social group for TG folks. of course anyone is welcome but we are pretty much all TG or wives.
They might be able to refer to qualified therapists etc but none of them are themselves therapists.
You can contact ShannonDragon here on the forum for specifics about the group.

Emjay
02-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Ana5551 - Her name keeps coming up so I think I'll send her an email. After reading the profiles online I think I have a few picked out to start with and see where it goes from there.

And thank you Nicole Erin for the info on IXE! I'll look up ShannonDragon.

Thank you both!