PDA

View Full Version : What’s more important – lots of views or lots of responses?

Frédérique
01-31-2013, 11:46 PM
A simple question this time: When you take the time to gather your thoughts, translate them into words, and then submit the finished product for approval (as the OP for a thread, for instance), are you happier when you get lots of views, or lots of responses?

A catchy title will gather lots of views, but it may not garner a ton of replies. On the other hand, a thread in this section (MtF) may generate a lengthy give-and-take that will attract more and more views over time. I suppose a controversial subject can attract both views AND responses – there are a lot of MtF members here, all with their own “take” on things, so things can get heated at times. Meanwhile, others are viewing, or reading, and they may add their own thoughts to the discussion at hand, generating even more views and responses…

Speaking as someone who starts a fair amount of threads (go figure), I’m always pleased if there are a lot of views and a lot of “answering” posts to my overlong essays. I can tell almost immediately if my thread title/OP is either a) somewhat intriguing (lots of views), b) not stated properly (few responses), or c) its a complete DUD (it’s already over on page two or beyond)! Oh, well – at least I got it out of my system…

You can easily “troll” for views on this site with a carefully crafted title, in fact I can think of a few titles that would attract a TON of viewers (don’t ask!). However, I’m not trolling, so I hold back. Any views or replies I get are greatly appreciated by me, because I feel I often don’t get things right – MtF crossdressing can be a highly complex subject to discuss, as evidenced by the different opinions expressed on this site, so the whole exercise is like reaching out to others in an effort to verify one’s own existence. In that context, views are fantastic, and any responses are immensely gratifying…
:battingeyelashes:

What do you think? :thinking:

Jenara
01-31-2013, 11:51 PM
If I have posed a question then naturally I am hoping for a response.

Barbara Ella
02-01-2013, 12:02 AM
This really can depend on the type of post. If I ask a question, I am really hoping for responses and discussion, and views are not uppermost. If I am posting an opinion or observaton, responses are nice, and the interaction is good, but just views means i have gotten the opinion/observation out to a wider audience, and maybe they get to thinking and will have something to say elsewhere later. Fortunately, I am not a prolific thread starter, just a responder, full of personal opinions, but lacking originality I guess, so I don't get to make too many distinctions about views/responses.

Barbara

Rhonda Ann
02-01-2013, 12:16 AM
I like to get some feed back from the others, whether it be a suggestion, compliment, constructive criticism. I think some would respond more but I feel they are afraid to give a little constructive criticism from fear of hurting some ones feelings. Few that do are usually honest and trying to help. Nothing wrong with that.

Cynthia Anne
02-01-2013, 12:29 AM
When I view a thread I feel it's for my benefit! When I respond to a thread it's for your benefit! Great post

Wildaboutheels
02-01-2013, 01:46 AM
To me, neither one. We all have different reasons to be here on the site and/or participate in the Forums...and there are no right or wrong reasons of course.

I "want" 2 things if I post a Q. 1] that people READ the entire OP and then [hopefully] 2] post an actual ANSWER to the Q asked and not just a response. To me there IS a difference. Sadly, like most Forums I have participated at, few people will do either one ... but there will always be at least a few who will. Which is what makes it worthwhile to me at least. There might be many who post "responses" but as someone who reads ALL the replies to any thread, it's all too obvious that most folks often won't read much beyond three or four lines of an OP and even rarer, the responses. I find it very annoying, having to do so much wading to find actual answers. I realize that I am in the minority on this...

As to views and responses? Yup, easy to generate views with either pics of any kind, or merely use the words [in the title] pantyhose, heels, bi and/or gay or shame/guilt, closet/ed, deception, SO to name a few that are commonalities for most here... which undoubtedly/undeniably explains the WHY of most CDers.

Also, like most Forums, any "popular" Q hanging at he top of the heap for any period of time will draw more views and responses, regardless of the title.

A simple summary would be that views don't tell whether anyone actually READ nor do simple "responses" so I'd rather have 1 view and one ANSWER rather than a thousand views and 100 responses.

Lorileah
02-01-2013, 02:01 AM
Something like this thread I want posts. With photos, either one is OK

Tracii G
02-01-2013, 02:03 AM
It makes no difference really, if someone replies thats fine.

AmyGaleRT
02-01-2013, 02:13 AM
I don't know that it matters too much. If I have something to say or some pictures to show off, I'll post them and see what happens. If people like it, they'll reply, or they'll leave me a PM or visitor message. If not, well, maybe next time. :)

Of course, Frédérique, I could never hope to match the insightful nature of your essays-in-a-post. ;)

- Amy

CassandraSmith
02-01-2013, 02:25 AM
Generally, I like replies as opposed to reads because I like dialog.

Beverley Sims
02-01-2013, 05:54 AM
If I see a great number of views, I realise my header worked. Remember "Sex" sells.
I am always looking for responses to what I post.
If it becomes discussion worthy there are a lot of different views in the responses and is a successful thread.
If there only a few responses directed to me about a specific subject, another successful thread.
If the subject goes off topic and there is a difference of opinion without angst, that is also a successful thread.
If the subject goes off topic and there is angst, arguments and cat fights and it gets closed it is also successful.

Because those that made a fool of themselves by getting into bitter arguments can go away and quietly look at WHY?

Kate Simmons
02-01-2013, 06:23 AM
I sometimes (not as much as I used to) get inspired to post a thread on a subject that I'm looking for honest responses to. Note that I have already made up my own mind on the subject but am interested in what others think. Sometimes no response is required as I mostly post them to get others to think. Sometimes they don't really know what I'm talking about, take personal offense or whatever. No skin off my bra either way. It DOES tell me, however, just how much of a "guy" or "girl" folks really are under the facade. I'm empathic and pretty adept at interpersonal skills. The "ride" can be dull or exciting at times, depending upon what we, ourselves, make of it and that is really the bottom line.:)

Jolene Robertson
02-01-2013, 06:43 AM
For me both are fine, I do not post much and only respond to a post if I feel the I can contribute, so I'm sure there are others like me. However responses are always appreciated and makes it feel like the post was worth the time. I do always read the entire post and all responses when I view a post.

Jolene

Rogina B
02-01-2013, 07:04 AM
I started a thread on a serious subject[insurance coverage exemptions] a while back in the ever serious TS forum,and had very few responses,yet quite a few viewers.It surprised me as I see the subject possibly important for some of the "transitioners" and "wanna transitioners" that are often there.Sort of surprised me.

il.dso
02-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Great question.
When I post a new topic, I really hope that I get a lot of "responses."
"Views" are nice but I really like when people take the time to respond and offer their comments, insights and suggestions.
Thanks for posing this question.

TxKimberly
02-01-2013, 08:56 AM
I would admit that I feel gratified when a post garners a response. This means that what I have written was interesting enough to motivate someone to take a moment to reply.
Views without a response really kind of disappoint me. . .

Ressie
02-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Discussion is preferred, but some things shared don't evoke responses. I don't pay attention to the number of views very much.

kimdl93
02-01-2013, 09:08 AM
I guess I'd like both. If I take the trouble it implies that I believed (correctly or not) that I had something worthy to share with the group. And I can't help but gauge the response to same by the number of views and the number of responses. But I'm usually somewhat out of step with the interests of the majority and the OPs I have felt most strongly about generally garner the least interest. By contrast, my last OP "what color are your panties" is my greatest hit!

Ariamythe
02-01-2013, 09:10 AM
I like responses. For me, views alone isn't enough because there's no feedback. I don't know how successful my communication was. It's the same on my blog -- I hate it when I get a lot of page views but no one says anything.

Karren H
02-01-2013, 09:14 AM
I would admit that I feel gratified when a post garners a response. This means that what I have written was interesting enough to motivate someone to take a moment to reply.
Views without a response really kind of disappoint me. . .

I just want to get more responses than Kim's last post gets!

Kate Simmons
02-01-2013, 09:25 AM
I just want to get more responses than Kim's last post gets!No fair, between here and FB you both get a lot. I had to cool it for awhile on FB as Ericka because I had a stalker of sorts.:eek: One of the hazards of this "business" I guess.:heehee::)

~Joanne~
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
are you happier when you get lots of views, or lots of responses?

Hmmmm, I never thought about this till now. I guess the honest answer would be "responses" as most of my thread starting is done in the photo Gallery. You can get 1000+ views fairly easy but getting an opinion (beyond nice legs) is like pulling teeth sometimes lol I post pictures to get opinion on an outfit , how to falls on me, and if I am matching properly and such along those lines. If an outfit looks horrible I need to know that because knowing my luck, it's the one that will get me clocked if I dare to head out in it ;)

Marleena
02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Just post about BI when dressed or what color are my panties? Both have a proven track record.:D

Oh and do I pass will always get my attention. Grrrrrr.

TxKimberly
02-01-2013, 11:05 AM
I just want to get more responses than Kim's last post gets!

That shouldn't be too hard! Like someone else said, just put the word "panties" in the title and you have it made! (I just can't picture you doing that though!)

NicoleScott
02-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Responses. Views mean nothing, and unless you constantly monitor your thread, you don't know who views. At least we can know a little about those who respond, by their profile and previous posts. Number of responses aren't important, but really good threads usually get lots of good responses. My posts aren't always good or relevant, but it drives me nuts when I see things like this:
"What kind of pantyhose do you like best?" "I don't wear pantyhose."
"What's your fetish?" "I don't have any fetishes."
"Where do you go en femme?" "I don't go out."

AARRGGHH. Why bother?

paulaprimo
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
chalk up a view and a response from me... :D

Marleena
02-01-2013, 11:34 AM
are you happier when you get lots of views, or lots of responses?

Hmmmm, I never thought about this till now. I guess the honest answer would be "responses" as most of my thread starting is done in the photo Gallery. You can get 1000+ views fairly easy but getting an opinion (beyond nice legs) is like pulling teeth sometimes lol I post pictures to get opinion on an outfit , how to falls on me, and if I am matching properly and such along those lines. If an outfit looks horrible I need to know that because knowing my luck, it's the one that will get me clocked if I dare to head out in it ;)

Lots of lurkers in there Joanne. So views are a good thing too.:)

franlee
02-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Both are gradifing, and if the views are high it show you posted something interesting in most cases. And if the responses are high it is something that people feel is important enough to make a statement about or to share something with others. Some threads are serious and have pupose and some are just for the sake of the OP too vent or share. Many are to stimulate thought for response to keep the rest of us enjoying or adventuring though vicarious means. But all are something that is from someone that took the time and effort to try and make a statement or inquiry of what they are looking for or have have experianced. And that is what the Forum is for, at least I think so.

Karren H
02-01-2013, 11:46 AM
That shouldn't be too hard! Like someone else said, just put the word "panties" in the title and you have it made! (I just can't picture you doing that though!)

Yeah right.... your so damn popular! lol

"Guess what color panties Kimberly is wearing today?" does have a nice ring to it......

docrobbysherry
02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
I was going to comment. But, Kim and Karren have turned it into another pantie thread! I'm out!

Alice Torn
02-01-2013, 12:11 PM
My FB account got virtually no visits or responses, so i de-activated it. I am always surprised at how many views there are on picture and video threads, yet so very few, and less all the time, replies on them!

Kathi Lake
02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
. . . and then submit the finished product for approval . . .Approval. That's the real reason, isn't it?

Freddy, I guess the question is; why are you here? Are you here for approval? Are you here to help? Are you here because Blockbuster was out of new releases? (and it amazes me that one day soon, that will be a reference that the young will never get :))

I think that one of the reasons why this place is so popular is because the world seemingly rejects us. Where do we get our approval? Here, most likely. On this site you will find other kindred spirits who know your challenges and tribulations because they live them as well. Here we find approval, acceptance, encouragement, and a sense of camaraderie that we often feel the world will never give us.

Freddy, when you take the time to create one of your thoughtful posts, what is your goal? I know you are an artist, and creation to you is like breathing. I see many of your posts as creations. Since you can't sell a post as you can with one of your works of art, why do you do it? Is it just for the act of creation? Is it to inspire controversy? To merely inspire? I would think that to you the mere act of putting the post out there would be enough.

When I post (more rarely these days), why do I do it? Well, for a few reasons, I guess;

I post to let others who know me see what is going on in my life, as many of the people here are flung all around the world, and in-person meetings are rare.
I post to give encouragement to those starting out, to let them know that the fear they have shouldn't be big enough to keep them from experiencing life.
I post, in a way, to prove to myself that I did it! I actually conquered my inner fears. I went out and had fun.

When I post, do I expect responses? Not always. I guess if I ask a question, I expect something. If not, that's OK. I dress, I post, and I live for me. That's all.

Kathi

Sarah Doepner
02-01-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm more of a social animal than I would normally admit, so it seems I'm looking for interaction, connection, conversation. I write lots of things that are never posted, anywhere. Those efforts address issues and topics that are common here, but my ruminations stay on my computer, possibly because I pursue them to an end that satisfys me. When I share something here it's intended to become the property of the community, so since the goal of a forum is discussion, to do otherwise would be contrary to the format. If I wanted people to view my writing I could just do a blog without the option of responses. Sometimes I do post things that just die. Oh well, I guess I need to interact more with people so I can develop a post that inspires or provokes.

So yes, if I write something as a new post, please don't just read it, respond and discuss it if possible.

Tamara Croft
02-01-2013, 03:01 PM
The thing is with lots of views is, those views are also the amount of times you've viewed it. So if you check a thread you've posted 20 times in the day, that counts towards how many times it was viewed. Take this thread for example, 335 views logged, however, Members who have read this thread : 159, it's a big difference :)

Tracii G
02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Never see a pic of Freddy Why?

ClosetED
02-01-2013, 03:09 PM
It is asking what is the purpose of advertising? It depends on the goal of the person. They might be advertising a new play and don't want you take the poster, but see it and think about it. They might be trying to sell a book or new cereal - they may use some flashy cover (title like DEBUNKING) to get interest, but if the person views it and doesn't buy it (posts), then no sale. So neither is wrong, but many seem to want people to post - not necessarily to agree with them but to explore multiple views that this forum is the best source. Some are analytical, some in depth, some carefree, and a few may read more into a situation than the OP intended.

The advertiser of a new play wants views, but hopes later to get people to come to the play and talk about it. The moderators watch for anyone going too far.

Jaymees22
02-01-2013, 03:20 PM
I feel responses would be more important and would prefer them to be related to the OP rather than go off on some tangent. Sometimes if I post a picture and don't get a response or only a few, I think I must really look bad or I can rationalize that the viewers are just jealous of my good looks (Ha Ha). I think your threads are great Frederique. Hugs Jaymee

Jenniferathome
02-01-2013, 03:25 PM
I judge most important things by height, but that's me.

AllieSF
02-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Wow Freddie, a short post that I can read all the way through to get the topic and the question on the first try! Keep up the good work. I never start threads, but if I did, for question threads it would be the number of responses and for fun threads and pic threads the number of views would come into play. I would say that I read maybe 80% of all new posts, much less for yours Freddie because they are just too long works of art for this old brain to want to deal with. What Tamara said about the same person's, including the OP, multiple views adding into the total, I can now see how that can greatly distort the actual number of different people viewing a thread. If I like the pics of someone in their thread or in a thread asking people to post their own pics then I will revisit that thread multiple times to see what is new. The same goes for some serious threads before I decide whether to participate or not, or when I have posted something that I want to see if my post caused any reaction. I don't post to create reactions, but do recognize from past experiences that they sometimes do. So, I like to follow those, generally.

Jennifer, since I am short someone or thing has to be very tall before I make a judgment. I am so used to looking up that it usually doesn't make me think twice unless someone is very tall.

Lynn Marie
02-01-2013, 05:05 PM
I would love to have the ability to wow the masses with my great wit and undeniable intelligence, but alas, I actually have neither of those qualities and for the most part anything I have to say is pretty much ignored. That's okay, I'm used to it. My ego and pride and feelings of self worth are not tied to views, or responses, or whether my team wins the Super Bowl. Yep, sure enough, I'm used to it! Narurally, I was rooting for the Seahawks!

Frédérique
02-01-2013, 06:24 PM
But I'm usually somewhat out of step with the interests of the majority and the OPs I have felt most strongly about generally garner the least interest. By contrast, my last OP "what color are your panties" is my greatest hit!

Kim's half-hearted “panties” thread, along with ReineD’s latest extravaganza, inspired me to ask the question in the title! When someone says, “Gosh, I never expected so many responses,” I start wondering about the value of such things. I’ve said this many times, but I’m looking for kindred spirits by way of posting – with this in mind, views and responses are valuable commodities, even though many individuals will either disagree with me or take one view and ignore me...

But, in my opinion, just being here, amongst other crossdressers of all types, is very satisfying. Views and responses make me smile, because I know, after so many years in the wilderness, I can finally write about my feelings for crossdressing and find a sympathetic audience – it’s just fun to discuss what we do, and the more we discuss the more discussions get started. It may go around in circles at times, but the views and responses in this section (at least) indicate an ongoing interest in something that cannot be defined or explained. It’s just important to be here, if only to feel GOOD about crossdressing – you can’t get that anyplace else, IMHO...

Freddy, I guess the question is; why are you here? ...when you take the time to create one of your thoughtful posts, what is your goal? I know you are an artist, and creation to you is like breathing. I see many of your posts as creations. Since you can't sell a post as you can with one of your works of art, why do you do it? Is it just for the act of creation? Is it to inspire controversy? To merely inspire? I would think that to you the mere act of putting the post out there would be enough.

That’s true – putting the post out there can be an end in itself. It’s a lot like exhibiting my artwork, which, even as you read this, is hanging on a wall in a far-away city – I’m never there to meet and greet the viewers, so I can only hope for second-hand (or third-hand) responses. After the show, a gallery owner might say to me, “Your work had many responses...” That’s nice, but I don’t get to hear those responses. I assume there were many views. Much like submitting a post, specifically a thread OP, I try to make it “read well,” although I often feel I’ve failed miserably – the responses will let you know the score. The ultimate goal is to touch someone, I would say, using these words to reach out...

Why am I here? I think that could be a good topic for discussion: Why are we here, anyway? I like the attention, but I like it when others get attention as well (especially shy newbies). My ultimate goal would be to inspire crossdressers, beat off the naysayers (as nicely as I can), and keep the non-understandable ball rolling along. I like the connection to the crossdressing world at large, especially the small percentage of crossdressers who report (discuss) what they do, or how they feel about what they do, or how they are. I’m amazed this place exists! To tell the truth, I’m surprised I write all this stuff, but it’s kind of like a cathartic exercise – I can FINALLY talk about crossdressing with someone!!! I haven’t met one person in the outside world who is the least bit interested in my penchant for wearing women’s clothes, so these wordy (lengthy) creations of mine can be seen as a huge sigh of relief...

Wow Freddie, a short post that I can read all the way through to get the topic and the question on the first try! Keep up the good work.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about reducing my posts to tweet-size for easy consumption. I always chuckle when someone submits a paragraph and adds, “Sorry this is so long!” Haven’t they seen any of my things? Do you think I’ll get more views and responses if I shorten things? Just trying to keep the topic on-track, my dear...

This response is kinda LONG, ain't it? :o

busker
02-01-2013, 06:29 PM
since the word forum means a pubic place for discussion, then I believe that responses would be most valuable. How can discussion take place otherwise. Too often one sees "yeah, what smitty said" or "I agree". Not very useful "discussion". If a person if off base, say so, and counter with an example. I don't like responses that say "you're just full of $hit". A lot depends on the motivation for being on a forum.

AllieSF
02-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Actually, Freddie, I do think that you will get a decent number of replies. Now, only time will tell. Sometimes short posts with only a couple of direct questions makes answering easier. I sometimes do not reply to some posts, because I know that if I started, my response may be longer than their OP. Also, time limitations come into play when I have something more pressing to do, like looking for responses to one of my sarcastic posts in someone else's thread!

Maria S
02-01-2013, 07:18 PM
I find if there are to many responses the thread loses the original subject or if say you are the 50th response and you say something like "Oh yes but only on Saturdays" it is hard to tell which of the previous 49 responses it refers to.

Maria

Michelle (Oz)
02-02-2013, 01:15 AM
Depends on the objective.

While it is rewarding to see many replies (as distinct from views) to a thread, the most helpful response to one of my threads on compression stockings came from less than 10 posts and not many more views.

Saved 40% on $100 a pop stockings. Quality is often better than quantity.

Kathy4ever
02-02-2013, 04:18 AM
Great question. I guess it depends on what's important to you. Eveyone is probable different in what they are trying to achieve. I sometimes wonder why some get more responses than others. I don't dwell on it as whats important is I have gotten something off my chest . Responses are great but maybe more viewers are more important, as many responses can be almost the same reponse. When more read more are learning and maybe they progress to respond.

suzy1
02-02-2013, 04:44 AM
Yeah, I’ve been thinking about reducing my posts to tweet-size for easy consumption. I always chuckle when someone submits a paragraph and adds, “Sorry this is so long!” Haven’t they seen any of my things? Do you think I’ll get more views and responses if I shorten things? Just trying to keep the topic on-track, my dear...

This response is kinda LONG, ain't it? :o[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Freddie, I love your threads but you know I struggle with the length of some of them.
But that is not a criticism and there must be others here that like long posts.

Perhaps you could do a ‘lite’ version just for me.:)

sometimes_miss
02-02-2013, 05:14 AM
Ahhhh, at last, Freddi, the self centered can reveal themselves. I don't really care what my posts or threads do; I'm here to 1. hopefully get more insight about crossdressing (like to think I know a lot but nobody knows everything, and every now and then someone writes something that triggers and 'a HA' moment for me), 2. try to keep things in perspective for those coming here to learn about themselves, as all too often people still stuck in the pink fog try to persuade others that crossdressing is a fine wonderful thing and that everyone loves a crossdresser, 3. every once in a while, I hope my own knowledge and experience will help others to avoid the mistakes and misconceptions that I had to live through due to lack of knowledge about our 'condition'. My own life has been a 'train wreck'; If there's anything I can do or say to help someone else avoid some type of pain or misery associated with being a crossdresser, I'll do it.

Cheryl T
02-02-2013, 05:33 AM
I think we all hope for a large number of responses. Stimulating discussion and learning the thoughts of others is very rewarding.
It's a bit disconcerting to post something that you feel may be thought provoking only to learn that everyone looked but didn't touch...

joank
02-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Both. (how's that for short?)

Maria S
02-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Freddie, I love your threads but you know I struggle with the length of some of them.
But that is not a criticism and there must be others here that like long posts.

Perhaps you could do a ‘lite’ version just for me.:)

Freddie

No offense but I lose the plot on some of your threads due to the length of them and small font.

Maria