PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible changing gender by hormone?

missmars
02-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I heard several stories

some MtF crossdresser used Female hormone because they wanted to have feminine body, but eventually it made them transsexual.

Fuchsia
02-03-2013, 11:53 AM
We hear stories all the time and most of them are attempts to simplify complicated situations. I doubt if anything can Make someone transexual, that arises from deeply felt desires and needs, usually from eary childhood. A hormone is just that, it might enhance feminine carachteristics, it can't change the inner person. That's my take anyway.

Sandra1746
02-03-2013, 12:05 PM
At least with humans. However the thought has been expressed on this forum, and in other places, that if you try female hormones and react badly to them then they are not right for your body or mind. Perhaps good advice?

In my case Estradiol produced a significant and positive change in my mood, and it isn't only my opinion, my wife would heartily agree. How hormones affect the mind and body is a very complicated subject and also a very individualistic one. Making overly broad generalizations is not supported by strong factual data.

There are lots of anecdotal stories but the line I always heard is: "...anecdote is not to be confused with data...". The scientific study of gender and sexuality is still a very open field.

Just my opinion,
Sandra1746

Beverley Sims
02-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Hormones are only part of the story.
If you are under the age of 25 and still growing they can assist immensley in body shaping and mind control.
That is being over simplistic.
Surgery is usually needed to shape the sexual organs for the preferred gender.
Your quote at the end,
"some MtF crossdresser used Female hormone because they wanted to have feminine body, but eventually it made them transsexual."
means that they probably grew breasts and eventually because of the effect on the brain they would have thought of themselves as transsexual and opted for complete sexual reassignment surgery or SRS.

Sophie_C
02-03-2013, 01:44 PM
No, they did experiments on making gay people 'straight' in the 1950s using hormones and it just failed, making them suicidal. They also had a botched circumcision of a man, just turned that baby to have a vagina, some labiaplasty in his teenage years, female hormones, etc - and it failed. He always knew it was wrong. He always naturally knew he was a boy (no matter how well they hid it). Eventually, he uncovered the truth, and transitioned to be the man he always was.

So, yes, it's been unfortunately attempted, and it doesn't work. Or gender is in us, deep down inside, and it's unchangeable. The only changes you see occurring are those coming to terms with what they are inside.

All that BS on things like findastride causing people to "Become TS" are just self-justifications for those people having difficulty dealing with the knowledge that they're trans, and have always been that way. Things like get a little fuzzy as I think gender isn't entirely masculine or feminine. You've got shades of grey, with tomboys and more eccentric men, but it's still locked inside on how we are. Ellen DeGeneres would never be comfortable running around in Kim Kardashian's clothes, just like Prince wouldn't be comfortable wearing clothes a lumberjack would wear. But, back to the point, when people say it's caused by X or Y, those people just need an excuse, at least for the moment. After they come to terms with it and everyone around them is used to it, they'll speak the honest truth. And, they do, for the most part.

P.S. The "accidental" MTF is David Reimer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

Here's a video on him. His life is evidence that what you're saying is NOT true. It's got to be there, from the start:

MUTcwqR4Q4Y

Kate Simmons
02-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Perhaps somewhat. Gender is mostly determined from what is between our ears and self perception. Everything else is (literally) "window dressing".:)

sandra-leigh
02-03-2013, 02:31 PM
If it can happen, it seems to be very uncommon.

I am the only person that I know of who might perhaps, under some definitions, have "changed" genders.

The medical evidence for me is suggestive that I was born with a brain chemistry imbalance, partly female, with the "male" side having control when I was younger. Imagine now the male side having a leak, or wearing down, until it was being held up by habit and the equivalent of friction. And then it crashed down, and the "female" side had the stronger position, but the two continued to struggle for control. Eventually hormones calmed things down, leaving the female side more prominent but there still being some male side.

I cannot say that the above is "really" how things happened for me, but it accounts for what I experienced.

In this account, note that both sides had to have been there to start, but with a "tipping point" between them. Also, for me, the hormones did not come until after I had already tipped. And I also didn't have any idea that I was gender variant until I had already tipped. But if I was already "dual gender" and I am still "dual gender", then has my gender "changed" ?

SarahMarie42
02-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Perhaps, if one already has transsexual inclinations, and crosses a certain threshold, they feel more comfortable crossing the next threshold after having already allowed a couple of irreversible anatomical changes to take place. That seems to be the simplest explanation.