PDA

View Full Version : Dressing as a... cost saver? A way to lose weight?

Bree Wagner
02-03-2013, 11:41 PM
This afternoon I was ruminating (no, it's not a dirty word) in the shower as I often do and a few thoughts struck me. Since I've started going out dressed the amount I've spent on clothes has gone way down. Why is that? The answer was pretty obviously prep time.

When I decide I want to go somewhere when I'm dressed male I can be out the door in no time at all. Wanna go? Yep. OK. I'm out the door.

When I want to go somewhere en femme it's somewhere between one and three hours before I'm ready to go depending on how much 'work' needs to be done. That's several hours taken away from my shopping time. Time shopping correlates with dollars spent pretty directly. It also takes a lot more time to try things on when you go dressed. You need to try not to get makeup on the clothes, worry about your hair, and simply spend more time getting into and out of things.

In my case it's probably all a good thing and I should try to cut down even more. I'm pretty sure my average shopping night still nets me at least two outfits and often several more. Since at least half my trips out involve shopping of some form I could never wear the same thing twice and still never get to wear all the things I've bought. :straightface:

Nah... can't let that stop me. Coming home like this is way too much fun.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8263536098_f4ac25b58c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/breewagner/8263536098/)
Spoils of War (Shopping) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/breewagner/8263536098/) by Bree Wagner (http://www.flickr.com/people/breewagner/), on Flickr

On to the second topic: dressing as weight reduction. This is intimately tied to the first topic. Many of my nights out are when I'm travelling so I work during the day and usually follow that up with a workout. By the time that's over it's pretty close to dinner time, but if I want to hit the stores I need to scramble to get ready quickly. Why waste a few minutes on dinner if it takes away from time out?

I usually tell myself I can pick something up or stop somewhere on my way back after the stores are closed or I'm shopped out. By that time of night my mind can usually convince my body that it can wait for breakfast after it feasted on adrenaline and fun all night. Not always, but often enough to consider the dressing a great weight loss strategy.

Are there any unexpected benefits or side effects you've realized from your dressing?

-Bree

Lorileah
02-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Bree, between you and I we must keep the stores here in business. However my spending has gone UP not down. I have 2-1/2 closets now. And still have to try on 2-4 every time to get an outfit.

As to weight loss, I don't eat as much when dressed, it is like I get full faster and I eat slower. Both are good things that I should do more often

ronny0
02-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Shop online (e-Bay) and wear what you want 'or not'.
Takes the 'fun' out of it, but allows you to spend $$ w/o all the prep work.
BK now delivers, so fast food to the door can keep you from getting too slim.

Tracii G
02-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Bree you sure look cute and have great taste in make up anything in that MAC bag for me?

sandra-leigh
02-04-2013, 02:40 AM
My preparation for going out consists of:

A) brushing my hair, possibly for the first time that day
B) going down to the basement, side-stepping the recycling pile, and picking a skirt out from my "still fits" round rack of clothing
C) working my way back out from behind the recycling pile, take off my jeans or jeggings and putting on the skirt, and leaving my jeans or jeggings in the drying rack
D) putting on the same femme winter jacket and mitts and scarf that I always wear, along with my boots (which are not femme but don't have broken heels)
E) back upstairs to the landing, and reach down and pick up my purse (which I always take) from its place on the floor

As my jacket etc. are all stored downstairs anyhow, the extra time to go out "en femme" is about 10 minutes if I am having trouble deciding which skirt to wear, and about 1 minute if I am feeling decisive.

anastasiafantasia
02-04-2013, 04:47 AM
Hey Bree.Yeah i sure like trying to different things at home and hopefully will be spending alot of time considering different, important(!) costume options before my 1st outing to a meetup this coming month or next.I sure need to cut back on online shopping expenses!

And as far as weight loss, i have never actually skipped a meal because of dressing or shopping but am trying to cut down on portions so i can cut a slimmer, more toned figure while out and dressed in the future i hope!Damn it's tough though.I forgot how moody it can make me but working out is a good energy boost again.

AmyGaleRT
02-04-2013, 05:39 AM
Hmm...I have made a few changes to my diet, including switching off sugared sodas, since the Big Reveal to my fiancee. Nothing huge, but I have been losing weight as a result; this is medically verified, I was down ten pounds when I visited the doctor a couple of weeks ago. I think the Amy-influence is responsible, though I couldn't say for sure.

Aside from that, my fiancee tells me I'm less "grumpy" when in Amy-mode, more willing to jump up and do little favors for her. She sometimes prefers having Amy around for just that reason. She also has seen my self-confidence improve in both modes.

- Amy

Beverley Sims
02-04-2013, 07:08 AM
The time spent getting ready I feel is well worth it.
I look good, feel good, confident and ready to go.
I can then rummage through the more intimate apparel without stares and buy what I want.
It means I can finger the bras for softness, hold the dresses, skirts and tops up to myself in front of a mirror and enjoy myself.
In drab I do have to tone this down a bit, fingering bras and panties still looks a bit off.
I do not believe time spent at home leads to less shopping time, it just makes it less stressful and I can spend more time fingering the merchandise.
I agree with your last comment,

" Coming home like this is way too much fun."

Bree Wagner
02-04-2013, 08:07 PM
As to weight loss, I don't eat as much when dressed, it is like I get full faster and I eat slower. Both are good things that I should do more often

I've noticed this too when I go out to eat. You really do take more time when you're worried about wiping all your makeup off if you have to use a napkin on your face! It sure does help your brain catch up to your stomach.

Aside from that, my fiancee tells me I'm less "grumpy" when in Amy-mode, more willing to jump up and do little favors for her. She sometimes prefers having Amy around for just that reason. She also has seen my self-confidence improve in both modes.

That's great Amy, you're a lucky lady! I think I'm close to the same way when dressed but my wife would still prefer me not dressed. Oh well, she still puts up with me. :)

The time spent getting ready I feel is well worth it.
I look good, feel good, confident and ready to go.
I can then rummage through the more intimate apparel without stares and buy what I want.
It means I can finger the bras for softness, hold the dresses, skirts and tops up to myself in front of a mirror and enjoy myself.
In drab I do have to tone this down a bit, fingering bras and panties still looks a bit off.
I do not believe time spent at home leads to less shopping time, it just makes it less stressful and I can spend more time fingering the merchandise.

All good points! If stores only stayed open later my getting ready wouldn't cut down on the shopping time so much.

Angela Campbell
02-04-2013, 09:34 PM
I began dressing fully last summer. It has given me the motivation I needed to lose weight. 85 lbs so far. I just wanted to look better for the first time in my life.

Diane Smith
02-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Dressing up is good for my figure. The corset keeps me from eating and the heels force me to burn more calories while walking.

It's all good.

- Diane

Claire Cook
02-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Bree, between you and I we must keep the stores here in business. However my spending has gone UP not down. I have 2-1/2 closets now. And still have to try on 2-4 every time to get an outfit.

I'm with Lori on this one! The only way I save $$ is by checking out the clearance racks. And I find the same thing about eating. As far as losing weight: I work out every AM to Denise Austin DVD's (we girls have to work out together!). Sue and I go to a gym 3 times a week, but I don't go in full Claire mode. I did tell our trainer that I CD, and wanted to develop a waistline and boost my hips and thighs. She suggested some exercises that should help.

And yes, I'm always thinking about getting down to a size 10 .... darned chocolates get in the way....

Ceri Anne
02-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Definently not a cost saver. I have a ton invested in Ceri. I do understand the dressing time thing though. There are nights I get off work, dying to dress and go out, only to go the the motions of dressing, and not have the energy left to go out. Epilation nite is the worst. I feel so good, but it takes so long. As for loosing weight, its a very big incentive to loose weight, trying hard to loose 30 lbs. But with the traveling life style, I find its hard to eat properly, and I stil fine myself eating at bad times and doing the quick drive thru thing. When I do have the time, I am driven eat much better, and when dressed, definently eat much slower. So far since first of year I've lost 10 lbs, but it fluctuates.

Almost forgot, one other thing I notice is I'm more courageous. I find I demand to speak to managers more often if I don't get what I want from customer service people for instance. I'm not bitchy, just when I feel I suffered an injustice, I work harder to get it right. I think this comes from the exreem courage it takes to go out pretty.

Nikki A.
02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
I can see the losing weight part. I know I've been losing weight to look better.
However dressing is an expensive habit, what with makeup, clothing, accessories. And you can never have enough, there is always that one perfect top that will go with that skirt or the shoes that will complete that outfit. Then you still need to buy some guy clothes occasionally even if some of it is bought from the womans aisle. Cost saver NO WAY

Stephanie47
02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm with you on the time element. Even if I were inclined to venture out into the world, it does not take much time for me to dress to the 'nines.' I'm totally into dresses, no jeans or pants. I usually have a mental note of my dress for the day, which makes it easy to get the ensemble together. For instance, a newly acquired short sleeve black dress by Merona, easily calls for a black bra, black slip. black panty, black heels and suntan pantyhose. I can understand time being taken for makeup, including nail polish, but, not several hours.

As to shopping on eBay, I'm always appropriately dressed for shopping, even if it on line.

Shop online (e-Bay) and wear what you want 'or not'.
Takes the 'fun' out of it, but allows you to spend $$ w/o all the prep work.
BK now delivers, so fast food to the door can keep you from getting too slim.

Oh, I do agree trying to be your best in appearance does make me aware of my diet. I may not be able to do much about my basic frame, but, I can control the flab, AKA, the male pregnant look/beer belly, which I do not have.

CassandraSmith
02-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm having a similar problem by going on here all the time. It's seriously cut into my CD time! I suppose I should be en femme first and then post but I end up rushing over to my computer and hanging out for a couple of hours. All of a sudden, it's time for bed!

Benefits

It has made it easy to be very disciplined about eating very high quality food and eating consistently and at the right times.
I've learned so much about other people on here too and about myself.
Better skin care is another thing I've learned.

Cassy