PDA

View Full Version : Slow going on Ebay

Maria S
02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm putting a load of clothes on ebay for my wife but it's slow going. The website keeps not responding but also I keep wanting to try them on to see if they look any good on me. Although we need every penny part of me secretly hopes some of it will not sell.

Maria

Stephanie47
02-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Hang in there. I don't know too much about eBay in the UK, although I do see a lot of lingerie on the USA eBay by UK sellers. There are so many listings in the USA. It is competitive. Ebay has to contend with places like Goodwill and steep discounts and clearance items at stores. Goodwill with their progressive discounts will sell many garments for $1.29. And, there is no shipping charges.

I buy a lot of eBay. I do not have the confidence to try on dresses in stores. Over the years I've come to know which style and label will work for me. This weekend I bid and won two Merona dresses. This morning I bought a very nice vintage Vanity Fair slip for $10, including shipping.

I've considered placing some of our stuff on eBay, but, I've check the final sales prices and decided I'd rather sell them at a swap meet than pay eBay fees. They have nothing to do with cross dressing. Good luck.

shadowline
02-04-2013, 02:58 PM
I understand wanting keep some, but if ebay fails you try ETSY, very low listing and final value fees

darla_g
02-04-2013, 03:03 PM
i don't know how it is on the eBay UK but in the US the listing is free if it doesn't sell. So you can try selling and no harm if it doesn't go and you can just relist.

This is a slow period right after Christmas. It was like gangbusters right before Christmas. New & new with tags sell much better than pre-owned.

reb.femme
02-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm putting a load of clothes on ebay for my wife but it's slow going.

I'm an avid Ebayer so you never know, it might be me making that purchase. :devil:

Rebecca

Megan Thomas
02-04-2013, 07:14 PM
i don't know how it is on the eBay UK but in the US the listing is free if it doesn't sell. So you can try selling and no harm if it doesn't go and you can just relist.

There is a listing fee and a final sale value fee too, though eBay UK do have free listing weekends from time to time, when only the final sale fee applies. There's also relist fees too, unless the relisting coincides with a free listing weekend promotion.

On the topic of goodwill shops, in the UK we have charity shops and their prices will vary widely. The British Heart Foundation shops tend to be the most expensive, with garments such as a top fetching between 3 and 5 UK pounds (sometimes more expensive for a 2nd hand item than a new item on sale at a supermarket). The cheapest tend to be the PDSA (animal welfare charity) and locally based charities.

Ozark
02-05-2013, 12:51 AM
I sell a lot on ebay (ozarkmtn) and in my opinion it runs in spurts. I sell mainly lingerie and some drab items.

I recently sold an item for $22.50 with $3.50 shipping and handling. The ebay listing was free but the final value fee was $2.03 and the paypal fee (on $26.00) was $1.05.

I'm not much on math but $3.08 fees on a $26.00 transaction (it still gripes me that ebay charges final value fee on shipping costs and ebay owns paypal) runs about 12%.

I did sell some nice vintage NOS with tags Vanity Fair diaphanique panties -- that was nice. All that stuff I bought when I was younger and stuck away in boxes.... lol

I

CassandraSmith
02-05-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm putting a load of clothes on ebay for my wife but it's slow going. The website keeps not responding but also I keep wanting to try them on to see if they look any good on me. Although we need every penny part of me secretly hopes some of it will not sell.

Maria

Set up another account and buy them from her! Problem solved. You'll probably need a PO Box or something like it. I wonder if your local TS makeover place could be used for mailing them to?

darla_g
02-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Set up another account and buy them from her! Problem solved. You'll probably need a PO Box or something like it. I wonder if your local TS makeover place could be used for mailing them to?actually you are not allowed to that per ebay rules. Similar to having two counts on this board they know if you are using the same IP address.

They prevent this because you could be bidding on your own item just to bid up the price. This is called shill bidding and I have seen some people get caught on eBay doing this.

Beverley Sims
03-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Ebay can be slow but with a good description it can be surprising.