PDA

View Full Version : ladders the new enemy

andrea lace
02-05-2013, 04:48 PM
I wore some new longer stockings today. Being a tall man 6 foot 1 inch its hard to get ones that fit. My wife found a large pair for me yesterday so today I thought I would dress up. No sooner had I put the things on I got a ladder on the foot which grew up my leg and the longer I wore them the larger the ladder got. I only stayed en femme for an hour or so and by the time I went to change into male mode the ladder was up to my knee. This is the second time this has happened on the first time of wearing them. I have some fish nets which I enjoy wearing but they don't feel the same as the nylon type stockings and the ladder spoiled my day. At four quid a go it seems to be a bit pricey that you only get to wear them once. My wife has told me to bunch them up before putting my foot in them but to no avail has anyone got any tips for a ladder free stocking experience many thanks

Stephanie Miller
02-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Check your fingernails and toenails before putting nylons on. File jagged corners and trim hangnails before handling stockings. Smooth your calluses and any rough spots on toes and heels.

Another way to extend the life of nylons is to get them wet, put them in a plastic bag and then freeze them. After they are frozen, let them thaw completely before wearing.

CynthiaD
02-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Trim and file your toenails so there aren't any catches. Do the same with your fingernails. Buy the sort of stockings or pantyhose that a woman would use for everyday wear. Use the size chart to make sure you're getting the right size. Bunch them up right to the toe, and stretch them vertically up your legs. Be careful not to poke your fingers into them, because they will go right through. If you're wearing pantyhose, don't tug hard anywhere except on the panty part, and then only in the vertical direction. Buy several pairs and practice frequently. Soon it will become second nature. Stockings and pantyhose become weaker with repeated wear and washings, so runs/ladders are inevitable. Nevertheless you should get many uses out of a pair before you have to throw them out. Some brands run more than others so try different brands. The brand I use (No Nonsense) are serviceable even with small runs in the toes, because the runs don't travel much.

I wear pantyhose every day, partly for medical reasons, but mostly because I'm transgendered. I buy them a dozen at a time, and I normally expect a dozen to last me at least six months. Hope this helps.

Persephone
02-05-2013, 06:00 PM
One more suggestion, apply moisturizer to your feet, legs, and hands before putting on your pantyhose.

Hugs,
Persephone.

ReineD
02-05-2013, 06:06 PM
If a ladder starts, put a drop of clear nail polish around the hole to prevent it from running further. The clear nail polish will withstand washings.

Also, make sure you are putting them on properly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdayCv6ncuQ

andrea lace
02-05-2013, 06:11 PM
thanks for the advice everyone is helpful as usual

Being Paige
02-05-2013, 08:52 PM
along with what everyone else has said you could gently stretch them out before putting them on.

DeeArel
02-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Washing before wearing is should make them more durable.

BLUE ORCHID
02-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Hi Andrea, Get some latex exam gloves and remember they are fine hosiery not work six .

Beverley Sims
02-05-2013, 09:50 PM
I am curious about the science of wetting then freezing them.
Please tell me more.

~Joanne~
02-05-2013, 10:10 PM
The best advice is to keep your nails well maintained and your feet well kept. Get a brush that has a stone on it, a cheese grinder, and sandpaper (Yes, I know they aren't called that but that's what they remind me of lol ) use it every day when you shower/bathe and your feet will become a lot softer and smoother in a short time. Plus moisturize them daily also. This will certainly help prevent any snags and ladders in your hosiery. I seldom run mine when putting on or taking off, mine come from bumping things lol

lingerieLiz
02-06-2013, 12:35 AM

I've read it in women's magazines that it will work. Fact? who knows, because every run is a little different like us. One reason you might be having trouble is the length of your legs. The more stress you put on the fabric the more likely it is to run. VS used to sell nylons that were not supposed to run as bad as some.

Skyeyes
02-06-2013, 09:37 AM
I bought a new pair of pantyhose last week and put them on for the first time and wham...my little toe caught on the hose and it was ladder city. I hate when that happens.

Maria S
02-06-2013, 09:54 AM
At four quid a go.....

Andrea

From your thread I take it you are from the UK? I'm not really a stockings girl but am always looking for tights in large sizes. Most High Street shops that sell tights when the packet says XL or whatever they are still not big enough for the average CD. I now buy all my tights from Evans. They come in 3 sizes 1, 2 & 3. I am 5'10 and I buy Size 2 and they are more than enough. Buying from cheap shops like Primark is no good as we all know you always need at least one extra size in shops such as these.

Maria

BillieJoEllen
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Make sure you buy a quality hose. Most are woven so that even if you do damage them they won't develop a long ladder.

docrobbysherry
02-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Ladders and other dangers!

When I wear my heels around the house, I have all sorts of bumping accidents.

Not used to being suddenly 4+" taller, I bump my head on ladders, cabinets, shelves, closet rods, etc!

So, I make it a rule to also wear a wig whenever I wear heels to protect my bald dome!

Aylineira
02-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I buy the better quality hose at about 10 bucks. Those things are pretty darn resistant to runs let me tell you. Plus the feel of them are on average a whole lot better! Of course I'm a hosiery kinda gal so I'm biased.

sterling12
02-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Get yourself some thin cotton gloves, or you can use ladie's gardening gloves. ALWAYS wear those gloves when you take your hose off, or put them on. Runs (Ladders) usually occur as we are dressing. Oh, and stay away from unupholstered chairs, anything concrete, and unlighted areas where you can easily bump into something about knee level. And, don't yank and pull at hosiery when you put it on. Just make a donut, and roll your stockings up your leg.

Have fun, think these tips ought to solve a lot of your problem.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Stephanie Miller
02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Please tell me more.

Have you ever tried putting on freezing cold nylons? You do it VERY VERY slowly. :facepalm:

Freezing panty hoses prior to wearing them first will do a "cryogenic stress relief" process on the nylon. Basically you freeze something, then warm it back to room temp. When you get something real cold, the molecules stop moving, then you bring it back to room temp and as the molecules warm up they rearrange and release much of the internal stress between them. This makes the material very uniform on a molecular level. Thus, internal stress is reduced as things warm back up. This reduces the weak spots in the nylon material and allows the panty hose to stand more abuse prior to tearing or "running".

Also heard, but haven't tried a product called Hosery Mate. It's a no rinse cleaner. The bottle claims that it doubles the life of your hose. You only use maybe a 1/4 oz at a time for 2 pairs of hose.
www.hosierymate.com

MonicaCD
02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm no stranger to wearing stockings and pantyhose, but it has been a while. I had read this thread earlier today and, remembering it, used ample caution putting them on. However, I rushed pulling up my hose after going tinkle, poked my thumb as I was pulling up, and yup, a run. Brand new hose, too.

Well, the skirt I found at Goodwill today makes up for it (which was the occasion to put the stockings on in the first place!).

:)

jillleanne
02-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Welcome to a womans world. I'm somewhat surprised you cannot hear me from across 'the pond' screaming when I get a run in a pair of FF RHT stocking.