PDA

View Full Version : A Stressful Day of Pampering

Persephone
02-07-2013, 04:04 AM
Ah, bliss! A morning of salon hair treatment, including being shampooed with wonderfully warm water, being towel dried, then combed out, set, dried, and styled.

Followed by lunch and a pedicure.

All en femme, of course!

A CD's dream?

It would have been wonderful if the day had gone according to plan.

Actually, both my spouse and I had routine fasting blood test appointments before going to the salon this morning.

We talked about going to the lab together, but I pointed out that she gets headaches if she fasts too long, that it takes me longer to get dressed in the morning because I have to do makeup and she doesn't, and that the lab is only a few blocks away, so it might make sense, if she did turn out to get an earlier start, for her to go on over, then she could return and have breakfast, and I could go over and then we'd quickly head for our hair appointments.

She returned as I finished getting dressed. Just enough time for me to run to the lab and then pick her up and we'd head for our hair appointments.

But she looked oddly shakey. She hadn't had an accident, but our SUV was badly misbehaving. According to her, it was suddenly lurching into "cruise control" and roaring off on its own. It had happened twice as she'd managed to drive it home and park it against the curb, but there was no way we could use it until it was fixed.

Our backup car, a Jeep, was in the driveway, but it wouldn't start.

Our son's vehicle was also in the driveway, and he was probably going to need it. But he was on a morning conference call, so she suggested I quickly take his vehicle and then maybe he could help me jumper the Jeep.

I ran off to the lab in his vehicle. The lab people are so nice! I've filed an AKA/Preferred Name form with them (thank you, Sandra-Leigh!) and they actually adhere to it, so they walk out and call "Barbara!"

Done, I rushed home with barely enough time to head for the salon. I pulled my son's vehicle up to the Jeep, my spouse came out and we jumpered the Jeep and got it running.

Just then my son came out. The plan had been for him to join us at the salon for his haircut, as he usually arrives a few minutes after us and then leaves as soon as his haircut is done.

"Never mind," he said, "we can all go together."

So we jumped into his vehicle and roared off to the salon. As we went, I looked down and noticed that despite all the care I'd try to use, I'd still managed to get a small spot on my capris. As he drove, I found the emergency "Shout Wipe N' Go" packet in my purse and used it to clean up the stain as best I could.

We arrived at the salon just a couple of minutes late for our appointment, having called to tell our beautician what had happened. A couple of hours of blessed pampering, which took about 35 minutes longer than planned.

We quickly roared off to lunch. Very nice, but service was slow.

Our original intent was to run past our house, which would be only slightly out of the way, and I would take the Jeep to my pedicure. But we were so late that it was only practical for my son to rush me straight to the nail shop.

I arrived breathless and just in time for my pedicure. Ah! An hour of pampering!

My manicurist and I are old friends, so we chatted as she worked, and my toes are a lovely pink with a little white flower on each big toe. Sorry, I can't think of the name of the OPI color at the moment, even though I was sure I'd remember it when I was in the salon.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/Toenails2-6-2013_zps55a91b79.jpg

Then I had a lovely surprise! A very good friend of mine was coming in for her pedicure right after me. Our kids went to school together and we've stayed in touch, but we don't get to see each other very often as we both travel a good bit. Oddly enough, we'd had dinner with her and her husband on Monday! Nonetheless, it was great to just have a chance for a few minutes of girl talk without spouses. So she and I caught up with each other as her pedicure started and mine dried.

Meanwhile, my son and my spouse had been at home working on the car problem. They were planning to have my car towed to the repair place. But my son was going to check it out first by tryng to drive it up and down our street so that he could see what had happened.

When he started to look around, he found the problem! In the aerospace industry it would be called FOD -- Foreign Object Damage. Some cardboard had wedged itself into the accelerator area and was forcing down the pedal. He quickly cleared the problem and we had our SUV back!

My spouse came to the salon and picked me up. Since we were near the place where we get our oil changed, we decided we should get that done, since the "Oil change" info had been coming up on the dash for a couple of days. And besides, that only takes 10 minutes or so, right?

The place we go to has changed hands. It is now a Valvoline shop. Instead of going into the waiting room they have you wait in the car as they do the work.

Well, they started the oil change and their engine compartment inspection and reported that one of the belts was seriously warn. They offered a reasonable deal on replacement, and since I knew they were probably right about the belt, I decided to take them up on it.

It proved to be a bit more complex than they expected, and our 10-minute stay in the vehicle turned into about an hour and a half, complete with some complex price negotiations. Argh!

My spouse thought that perhaps they'd taken advantage of us as women with their proposals of extra work on our vehice. But I've been in such places in both genders and I have consistently found that the staff at this particular place has treated me just as they would treat a man.

So we finally finished at 4:40 instead of 3:15, and by then I was really tired. We went home and I took a short nap before a meeting that we had at 6:45.

While we were in the meeting, right around 7, my phone went off. Our son was having a problem with some of his evening arrangements and could we help out?

We picked up our stuff and headed out of the meeting. Once outside I called him back and we went over the situation and found some ways to potentially resolve it that would not include having to go to where he was.

But we felt it wouldn't be right to disturb things by returning to the meeding, so we headed to dinner where I had a badly needed Margarita.

See how wonderfully relaxing a day of pampering at the salons can be?

Hugs,
Persephone.

Kelley
02-07-2013, 05:50 AM
That's quite a story Persephone, a relaxing day like that can wear you out. I just had my toes done in that same color and I just love it. I think it is the prettiest color I ever had.

Rogina B
02-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Well your toes look good but now you need to destress from your pampered day!

Launa
02-07-2013, 08:34 AM
I guess this is what happens to women on a regular basis in real life. They plan on something that should be relaxing and it doesn't work out that way.

Beverley Sims
02-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Barbara,
It looks like you are enjoying life.
So much for the mechanical money pit.
I went to get a puncture fixed and came away with two new tires.

Persephone
02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
I guess this is what happens to women on a regular basis in real life. They plan on something that should be relaxing and it doesn't work out that way.

Yep, Launa, it was a pretty typical day in girlworld. One of the reasons I posted it.

First time I jumpered a car en femme though.

I just checked with my manicurist and the OPI name for the color on my toes is "Kiss Me On My Tulips."

Hugs,
Persephone.