PDA

View Full Version : Going Out in the Blizzard?

Stephanie47
02-08-2013, 02:14 PM
With the impending snowstorm hitting the Northeast later today, are any of you going to venture out? When I lived in New York City I loved going out and walking in the gently falling snow. I know a driving blizzard hitting the face may not be everyone's cup of tea. However, bundling up in a long coat, stylish boots, hat, sweater dress, and scarf over my face would be heavenly. In my area where it rains a lot, I love the feel of the cool air blowing across my legs. Wish I was in the Northeast today!

And, I don't mean struggling through the end results of the storm when there are 24 inches of snow on the ground! :)

Beverley Sims
02-08-2013, 02:50 PM
I remember tramping through 24 inches of snow in Narvik Norway one Christmas.
You had to lift your feet right up so as your knees nearly touched your chin.
This was fresh and not compacted snow. Five years later at the same time there was only ice on the sidewalk.
No significant snow had fallen.
It is wonderful being out appropriately dressed when there is heavy snow.
I did experience a white out in Switzerland once and was lost on a ski run.
It was worrying for me at the time but I did get out without incident.

famousunknown
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
I don't get all the fuss over the Blizzard? Sorry, but it's winter, that's what happens where you live. Get used to it, stop whining, or m-o-v-e.

Leslie Langford
02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
What impending snowstorm?

It's already hit full force in these parts, and it has been snowing heavily and continuously ever since early this morning. My street still looks like the aftermath of a nuclear war with drifting snow everywhere. I've already shovelled my driveway 3 times so far today and even at that, I got stuck in the road with my car on the way out. Luckily, a neighbor was nearby to help me out and allow me to get it back safely into the garage, where it will stay until this "snow-maggedon" is over with. And as for any snow plows working in my immediate area - if past experience is any indicator, I will probably have better luck spotting a Sasquatch today than any one of those.

Of course, there is one upside to being snowed in like this. I am sitting here in a skirt, pretty feminine top, pantyhose and heels as I type this, having just talked to my wife who will be delayed coming home from work because of all of this snow. ;)

celeste26
02-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I used to have a friend who lived in up state New York and he had a door on the second floor so he could get out of the house in winter. His main doorway was iced shut and the snow was far above the top of that door anyway.

NathalieX66
02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
This storm put the crash on my plans for the weekend.
I'm pretty red and bumpy from doing electrolysis and waxing, so I actually don't mind staying in and healing.

The coastal northeast US is looking normal for February at the moment.......blizzards, and weird weather.

RADER
02-08-2013, 06:17 PM
In Chicago area; We got 9"+ yesterday, so today was spent plowing and shoveling out.
Yes I was wearing my fem Jeans, and bra, but no forms.
I have had enough snow for this year; I think I will give it up for Lent.
Rader

27th Jennifer
02-08-2013, 06:40 PM
.........and that is why I moved to Florida.

Alice Torn
02-08-2013, 07:01 PM
In illinois , there has not been a real blizzard for two years. Believe it or not, i like to ride bicycle in the winter, but not in deep snow or blizzard. I have never been out dressed, in snow before. Like Steph, i lived in western Wa, for 28 yrs. I missed the four distinct seasons, though, there is some snow there. A blizzard at first may be fun to go out in, but it would not take long to get in trouble.

Sally24
02-08-2013, 07:36 PM
I don't get all the fuss over the Blizzard? Sorry, but it's winter, that's what happens where you live. Get used to it, stop whining, or m-o-v-e.
It's because this storm is likely to be one of the top ten ever for snowfall in Boston. They closed all highways in MA at 4pm.

I used to love driving the morning after a big storm. The snow was all perfect and undisturbed. Usually there wasn't anyone else out driving. Unfortunately now there are always people out driving that shouldn't!

Leslie Langford
02-08-2013, 08:04 PM
I used to have a friend who lived in up state New York and he had a door on the second floor so he could get out of the house in winter. His main doorway was iced shut and the snow was far above the top of that door anyway.

Sounds as if that friend lived in the Buffalo - Rochester - Oswego - Syracuse area, celeste.

That section of upstate New York is known to be in a well-defined Snow Belt, as it often gets dumped upon when weather systems move across Lake Ontario from the north, pick up moisture as they pass over the lake, and then deposit it all on the southern shore where these communities are situated. More often than not, we in Southern Ontario get to dodge that particular bullet, and it is our U.S. neighbors living on the other side of the lake who get hammered instead.

And to your point - many years ago, I was on a business trip to Oswego, and it struck me that so many of the fire hydrants on the highway that followed shoreline had long poles 10' - 12' long attached to them (this was in November, just before the winter season got into full swing). When I asked one of the locals the reason for that, he replied that they were put there to be able to locate these fire hydrants once the snow began piling up, especially during those winters when the actual snowfall was also accompanied by high winds and severe drifting, causing the snowbanks beside the road to get exceptionally high.

Lvjim
02-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Grew up in w va worked in charlotte n c
and found that mild winters are pretty nice,
now in vegas. Haven't seen sub zero or much
snow in 20 yrs. To me thats fine if i want snow
and cold i can be there in 45 min on mt charleston
never go though.

Wonderwho
02-08-2013, 08:48 PM
I have the snowmobles ready to go, there is nothing better than the sunrise with the snow on the trees and sunlight glinting off new snow.
We live across the road from a state forest with miles of trails. in seconds we can run thru the forest and just have the most fun you can have in the snow.
This is after I move all the snow out of the driveway, although the weather is due to change on Monday, rain, so off to the woods we go.
Yes, I still get to CD while out on the trails.
Wonderwho

Danielle_cder
02-08-2013, 10:04 PM
blizzard schmizard...come to the rockies we live for big storms, some even go skiing in them (with forms on:D)

famousunknown
02-09-2013, 02:54 AM
It's because this storm is likely to be one of the top ten ever for snowfall in Boston. They closed all highways in MA at 4pm.
I used to love driving the morning after a big storm. The snow was all perfect and undisturbed. Usually there wasn't anyone else out driving. Unfortunately now there are always people out driving that shouldn't!

Here's your solution. Move.

Beverley Sims
02-09-2013, 01:21 PM
In Chicago area; We got 9"+ yesterday, so today was spent plowing and shoveling out.
Yes I was wearing my fem Jeans, and bra, but no forms.
I have had enough snow for this year; I think I will give it up for Lent.
Rader

How charitable of you Rader. God will reward you you know.
I like Chicago because I can buy a snow cone ice cream at Burger King and it doesn't melt like in Hawaii.
It actually gets harder if you eat it while sliding down the icy sidewalk.
Does that thing that looks like the Atlantic Ocean to the East of you ever ice over?
What a great skating rink that would make if it did.

rachael.davis
02-09-2013, 02:22 PM
digging out, worked like hell from early morning till now - I really missed having large muscles for the first time in two years.

AllieSF
02-09-2013, 03:00 PM

I don't know if you are trying to be funny or just sarcastic. In the first two posts above your post, I did not see any whining. I heard people saying even though it is a difficult situation, it is also very beautiful and can lead to some good memories.

My memories are walking at night in my Midwestern subdivision on snowy nights with the few street lights illuminating the big silent falling snow flakes. It was so quiet and peaceful and beautiful at the same time. I knew I could walk back to the house anytime if I got too cold. The next morning that pristine snow that would turn to ugly gray slush later in the day after the salt trucks got out and traffic did its job. Great memories and no whining.

RADER
02-09-2013, 08:58 PM
How charitable of you Rader. God will reward you you know.
I like Chicago because I can buy a snow cone ice cream at Burger King and it doesn't melt like in Hawaii.
It actually gets harder if you eat it while sliding down the icy sidewalk.
Does that thing that looks like the Atlantic Ocean to the East of you ever ice over?
What a great skating rink that would make if it did.

You mean that pond we call Lake Michigan? Well it freezes for a few hundred feet from shore in spots,
as well as the harbors; But it is unsafe to walk on. Some people try, and get arrested for going
on the Ice. Big signs saying stay off.
I live on a small inland lake of about 475 acres. It does freeze quite well most years; however this year
with 50+ degree weather, not so safe. You need a week of 20 Degrees for safe Ice, of about 4" or more
for you to walk on, 5" for a snowmobile, or 4 wheeler.
In Wisconsin, about 8 miles north of me, they let a car on the lake if it is 8" or more thick.
Rader