PDA

View Full Version : Tall Dressing?

mik_200
02-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Question for all the tall CDers out there over 6' tall

How often do you go out in public or do you feel like you have to stay in private due to your height?

I am tall and don't feel comfortable going out in public because of it

M

stacycoral
02-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Being tall is not that stops me the most it is more protecting my SO and kids, and my parents being in there 80's just would not understand, i can say that last halloween, that the girls at Hooters said the first thing gave me away was it, But going out in public is just feels nature when i do it, and can't wait until next time to go out and enjoy myself, hugs girl.

flogo920
02-08-2013, 08:14 PM
At 76" height in bare feet, and 220 # I could only pass in a room of blind and deaf- While dressed I feel especially vulnerable- went out once to a
TG meeting- when out covered up, make-up mostly off.

Hjgs,

Flo

Alice Torn
02-08-2013, 08:45 PM
At my height (6'6") without heels, I am very shy and cautious about going out. I have been out about 15 times, in 7 years. The last time i went out, i thought i was quite passing, but the cashier said she knew right away, i was a man! Oh nuts! But, it is fun to dress up, in black dresses, as, "The long cool woman in a black dress." But, i have not done that in public. I would like to go out and dance as a lady, but too afraid yet. Six foot ten or seven feet in heels, and big hair, would simply attract way too much attention, of all kinds. It would be a hudred times easier to do this, if much shorter! ZHeight is good for painting, window washing, and sports, but not as good for going out dressed up! In my town, there are almost no tall women, for some reason! I would be the talk and gossip of the whole town, as i tower over most men, too! If my brother, and elderly dad found out, or sister, i would be skewered for life!!

JaytoJillian
02-08-2013, 11:40 PM

How often do you go out in public or do you feel like you have to stay in private due to your height?

M

No way do I feel like I have to stay in because of my height (6-1). When I go out, it is usually to a TG-friendly club, so heels are not an issue---the higher the better, LoL. If I am just going out in the general population, I just dress to blend--low heels or flats, jeans and not a lot of makeup.

AlexisGray
02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm 6'2" and I go out wherever I please. At first I was nervous, but I got myself to the point where I really don't care if someone wants to have a snicker behind my back or say something, because I know they're the ones who are so wrapped up in their preconceived notions of normalcy that they'll miss out on so much in life.

Kelley
02-09-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm 6'2", well maybe an inch shorter these days. I don't really think about my hight when I go out. I have noticed that there are a lot of tall ladies out there. I think you just have to learn to carry it well.

Princess29
02-09-2013, 08:32 AM
where I work, its becoming more common to see GG's who are at least 6 feet tall. One of my colleagues, who is about 5 feet 11 and a GG, told me fairly recently that she wished she was a few inches shorter so that she could wear heels when she goes out. I have seen a woman come through at work who was 7 feet 2 and when the queensland ladies netball team passes through my workplace, each one of them is at least 6 feet tall with the tallest being 6 feet 5

mikiSJ
02-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I was 5'12" in my twenties and now I am 5'10", so when I bought a pair of 3" heels, I didn't feel overly tall.

CassandraSmith
02-09-2013, 12:56 PM

M

Yes, it's my number one concern. Since I'm 6'2" already and love high heels, I'd have to be hanging out with a girls basketball team to not stand out at 6'7".

Lorileah
02-09-2013, 01:46 PM
I go out 2-5 times a week. I am right at 6' (some days 5'11") :)

Cheryl T
02-09-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm 5'12" and go out all the time. At first I felt uncomfortable because of my height then I decided to embrace it.
Not only do I go out all the time, I almost always have on shoes with at least 1-2" heels. I just stand proud and let them look. After all, I have the legs for it....

Sara Jessica
02-09-2013, 06:32 PM
I am on the south side of 6' at 5'9.5" (can I just round down???) but two of my dear friends are on the north end. Yet both of them carry themselves as if they were under 6'. Why is that? Frame helps, both are slender in terms of being well proportioned for a fit woman of that height. But equally important is how they put themselves together and have an absolute sense of confidence. Put all of these things together and you have the perfect storm to interact with the real world as any other woman would.

Lynn Marie
02-09-2013, 06:48 PM
No matter how high a heel you wear, it will only add about 3 inches to your height. That being said, I'm always 6'6" when out the door dressed. The only problem I encounter is finding slacks and jeans with a 37" inseam. The public either doesn't notice, or they're just ignoring me. Either way, it's fine with me. Life is good living without fear. I highly recommend it.

Dana L
02-09-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm 6'2" and I haven't gone out yet. It's not that my hight would give it away that I'm a CD, but everyone notices a 6 plus foot woman. I'm not ready for that look over twice. If I were 5'6" I think I would go unnoticed. Most of your supermodels along with Taylor Swift and Jenna Elfman are 6' or over. But lets face it I don't look like them.

Stephanie47
02-09-2013, 07:26 PM
My granddaughter had me measured recently. My old age spinal shrinkage has me now at six foot even, which is still tall in the day and age. Whatever shoes I wear, man's or woman's, will get me at a minimum six foot one. I love shoes and I have shoes with three, four and five inch heels. I am primarily an in-home cross dresser, although I have gone out. My strolls through the world have been in the evening, and, preferably when it is raining lightly. A nice big umbrella does wonders in blocking out that male face. I also invested in several pairs of low heels, 1" and 1 1/2" which reduces the height. I guess I should call them flats. I found walking at night on concrete with a narrow heels makes a lot of noise that will attract a turned head or two. I always turn my head when I here that clicking and expect to see some beautiful woman. If you do not want to mingle with the folks, I suggest a stroll. I found after awhile walking around in heels and dolled up with no place to go really lost its appeal. I still will not go out in public because of the potential downsides of cross dressing intolerance potentially inflicted on my wife and kids. Through life being six foot two was great. No, I wish I was five foot seven. Why? Not only to pass easily, but, heck, that's when misses sizes are still readily available. Being six foot is difficult in finding pretty dresses.

I would follow the recommendations of some, and, if it is really challenging to go out, then try a support group/social group.

Julogden
02-09-2013, 07:49 PM
6' 5" in my bare feet here.

In my younger, slimmer days, I went out to support group meetings and activities all the time and also to friendly bars and clubs and on a very few occasions, to bars or other places where there were lots of straight folks. I was out and about at least one or two evenings every week, often more. At 6'5", needless to say, I don't blend in, but with one exception (I was out with another CD friend who was on the tall side too, walking down the street on the way to a bar and we were laughed at by an ignorant guy who evidently had no manners), no one ever gave me a hard time, although being 6'5", most people probably wouldn't want to get me PO'ed at them. ;)

Carol

windycissy
02-09-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm a bit shorter than six feet, so I wear flats most of the time which makes me about the same height as a typical GG in heels...I love wearing heels, especially when I'm on a date with a tall guy, he makes me look petite! Or if I'm out on the town with a bunch of other TGirls I forget about passing since as a group we'll gonna get clocked anyway, so I'll just wear heels anyway and enjoy the fun!

AlexisWest
02-09-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm 5/11 in stocking feet and at least 6/2 in heels. I try to wear at least some heel when I'm dressed and out, unless I'm wearing pink running shoes and sweats, for that 'soccer mom' look. I've though about wearing flats but after observing many gg's that are over 6/0 and and appear they don't even own heels. I have concluded that they are no were near as atractive as their counerparts that embrace their femininity and wear heels. I know this statement isn't all inclusive, but it's just what I have seen.

Sara Jessica
02-10-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm 5/11 in stocking feet and at least 6/2 in heels. I try to wear at least some heel when I'm dressed and out, unless I'm wearing pink running shoes and sweats, for that 'soccer mom' look. I've though about wearing flats but after observing many gg's that are over 6/0 and and appear they don't even own heels. I have concluded that they are no were near as atractive as their counerparts that embrace their femininity and wear heels. I know this statement isn't all inclusive, but it's just what I have seen.

So not only is femininity in your world defined by one's choice of footwear but a woman's attractiveness is measured by what she puts on her feet??? Sheeesh!

Better stick with those heels, I'd hate for you to be deemed unattractive in your pink running shoes by other guys out there who share the standards you have set to measure female attractiveness.

KimberlyJean
02-10-2013, 11:17 AM
I am 6'1" and I notice girls my height all the time. I went out a couple of weeks ago and was wearing some 3" ankle boots, I walked around the corner at TJ Maxx and was eye to eye with another girl. There are alot of tall women out there so don't let your height rule your descisons too much.

Sarah Doepner
02-10-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm 6'1" and my height is the last of my worries when I've gone out. If I do everything else properly and appropriate to the activity; body shaping, make up, hair, clothing, accessories and most important, attitude, then my hight only attracts attention before it goes somewhere else. If I'm feeling uncomfortable or am dressed for the evening but at the grocery store in the afternoon, then my size contributes one more piece of information that works against me. I love heels and will wear them, but the longer the walk, the shorter the heel is going to be, I hate to hurt myself.

Debra Russell
02-10-2013, 03:00 PM
I am 5'7" 3/4 ok 5'8" wear size 6-8 depending 5'11" in my boots and no heels over 3" -- I notice tall women all the time, some taller than others; the very tall ones always get a second glance as I compare body shape as I am always noticing shoulder width as a compairson and it seems as though body shape is the big give away for most of the CDs that I have seen -- so it seems to me that how we carrie our selves, mannerisms all come in to play. My wife has taller friends than I - yes tall gals do exist, just go out and be confident................................Debra

Alice Torn
02-10-2013, 03:29 PM
I wish some of those six foot and over women, single, would move to my town! I have only seen three in this town, all spoken for. If i go out around here, i must park where no one will see my come and go from my very unique old car! And, avoid conversatons with th townfolks.

AlexisWest
02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Sorry if I offended you.

So not only is femininity in your world defined by one's choice of footwear but a woman's attractiveness is measured by what she puts on her feet??? Sheeesh!

Better stick with those heels, I'd hate for you to be deemed unattractive in your pink running shoes by other guys out there who share the standards you have set to measure female attractiveness.

Leah Lynn
02-10-2013, 08:03 PM
CBS's Sunday Morning did a piece on tall women this morning. Most said that they always get stared at, so it's fitting that tall cd's will get stared at. It doesn't automatically mean that you're read. And, some of those tall gg's looked like they were cd's passing.

Leah

Xrys
02-10-2013, 08:31 PM
i am 6' 4 and i wear my fav 4 in heeled boots when i am out. it is not how tall wou are, it is how high you hold your chin up. you cant change it so you are going to have to embrace it. i cant tell you how many guys are out there who like tall women. use the attention from your hight as an opertunity to show the world how beautifull a tall girl can be. i know its heard to build that confidence, but it only builds when you get out ther and show it off.

natalie_cheryl
02-10-2013, 08:49 PM
i'm 6'3'' an have only been out a couple of times thankfully i have a GG friend who is 6 foot even so that helps me blend a lil bit more but i def notice that i'm a towering over folks.

can i just ask one question why is everyone saying that they are 5'12''? that would be 6' even seeing as how there are 12 inches in a foot

Eryn
02-10-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm 6'2" and I go out in mainstream situations once or twice a week. In the mainstream I'm just a tall woman and at my age don't get too much attention. If I'm in an LGBT place or with a group of CDers I'm likely made right away.

About 1% of GGs are my height and I pay attention to what they do. They aren't generally walking through malls in heels so I don't do that either. An inch or so is fine, but there's no sense in getting crazy.

Now, for CD events I like to have some fun, so taller heels come out of the closet. Horses for courses... :)

Keri L
02-10-2013, 09:00 PM
I am 6'3, and I have been out in public en femme around 8-10 times, so far. I agree with some of the comments about deportment. I am working on holding my head up high and female movement.

I suppose having a slim figure and flats are some of the best we tall girls can do to try to blend as much as possible, or try to be seated all the time :)

In the end, I am not going to let my height keep me closeted/relegated to my living room or house while dressed. After my taste of the outside world as Cate, staying at home while dressed just won't cut it anymore.

Starr
02-10-2013, 10:01 PM
i am 6' tall right now i am wearing 3" heels.. and i dress and go pretty much anywhere i want to.. no one has said a thing.. if you are to shy to be seen dressed you will be read in a heart beat when you go out.. i stand tall, smile and do my thing.. if i am read i don't mind.. if not then so be it..

MichelleTea
02-10-2013, 10:16 PM
With my 6 ft+ height, even higher in heels, I do seem to attract attention.

One girl in Payless Shoe Store said to me "you are SO tall" :)

kimdl93
02-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Tall is a relative thing. I'm just shy of 6'3" (settled a bit as I've gotten older) but I don't let it deter me. I have met women who were my height or taller, just as I've met women who are bigger in other respects. I don't think my height is the most telling aspect of my gender...and don't let it worry me. Most of the time, people treat me just like any other woman when I go out.

May(be)
02-11-2013, 10:41 AM
I hang out with really REALLY short women most of the time. I look like a giant. I am over 6', but just barely, and I never stand up straight so i usually read as much shorter than 6'. I am still not brave enough to try heels in public, though. But, I also try to keep a low profile at all times, so I wouldn't wear heels even if I was 5' 5". Heels draw too much attention with their click- clacking.

Genifer Teal
02-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I am 6' 4". I go out several times a week. I also love to wear very high heels. My height gets me immediate attention and often read due to the extra scrutiny "of the tall girl". None of that has stopped me. The attention I get is usually good and fortunately I like attention. I do live in NYC area so people are more used to the wide variety of differences among people in general. Being tall has caused me to second guess transitioning. I do believe it is wise not to, but being tall did play a part in the decision. One more note - I weigh about 165 lbs. Being thin helps offset for my height.

jjjjohanne
02-13-2013, 06:57 AM
I go out as a man in a skirt/dress/etc. My height is not a concern. I am 6'2". From what I read on the forum, a lot of us CDs do not pass. So what's the point of worrying about your height?

Melanie Sykes
02-13-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm 6' 5". Yes, it's pretty tall, but it doesn't scream "not a woman!" as much as my stubble does so I try not to worry about it (although I have started buying more flats). I do love heels, but would never go higher than a 3" heel and have only relatively recently discovered the delights of 1" heels. My big issue is not my height but my shoe size, and I expect that's fairly typical for tall people. I have real trouble finding nice ladies' shoes in UK 11, so a lot of my shoes are UK 10 and stretched slowly by my tortured feet.

Paulette
02-13-2013, 04:42 PM
I have a GG friend who is taller than me at 5-11 she is 6 feet and change. Watching her dress has given me the confidence to wear flats and ballet slippers along with heels. She has even given me some of her old shoes and couple of pairs of boots which she no longer wanted. Her mother is tall also and she gave me some clothes that her mom no longer wanted and said try these they might fit you. Score they fit! I told her I dressed while we were at a work event, she said that it was unfair that the men could wear flat shoes and the women had to wear heels. She ten said that if the guys wore heels the policy would change in a about 5 minutes. One thing lead to another and a bet was placed where she would trades shoes with me, black loafers for her heels as she figured i feet looked the same size. She was right I wear women's size 11, so there I stood for 5 minutes in her heels. She complained that I had not moved so the clock was re-set and I moved around the room with her by my side. After about 15 minutes we traded shoes back and she said you walk very good in heels I bet this was not the first time. I did not say anything for a couple of days but when she brought up the subject again when we were alone in the office I admitted that it was not and that I had in fact worn taller heels for longer periods of time without a problem. Our friendship was cemented right there which led to her getting me some nice clothes and of course a whole lot of shoes.

Beverley Sims
03-26-2013, 11:25 AM
I am not tall but I do admire tall women, they are often quite elegant.
I just want to photograph them, sometimes.

Michelle Crossfire
03-26-2013, 11:37 AM
I am 6'0", actually about 5'11 1/2". I usually wear 4 inch heels, so that makes me just a touch under 6'4". I only go out to a GNO so far, SO is not thrilled with me going out at all. I see tall women from time to time, some taller than me in drab, and them in flat shoes, so it is kind of hard to answer this from my perspective.