PDA

View Full Version : Length of OP's on threads, members please read

Lorileah
02-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Recently, several have been complaining about the length of some member's OP on certain threads. Then the thread goes off on a tangent that is off topic and sometimes get close to being rude to the OP.

Please, if you don't like how some people write here, don't read their threads. If you do read the OP, read the WHOLE thing and don't start cherry picking and taking things out of context. And don't tell people how to write. Writing is personal. Some can say "I like ice cream" Some need to say " I like frozen dairy desserts that are vanilla flavored but I don't like chocolate" It is how some people write (I am one of those who write like I speak so it can get long).

Your post telling people to write a certain way or shorten their post will likely be deleted in the future as it does not pertain to the subject the OP started.

Don't make me get all hard core Thanks :)

SarahMarie42
02-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Whole-heartedly agree! One can determine whether or not they're interested in the OP in the first place by simply reading the subject line!

Wildaboutheels
02-10-2013, 02:21 PM
B r a v o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbara Ella
02-10-2013, 02:22 PM
I agree totally, but Lori, you get such a cute sparkle in your eyes when you get hard core that it is just so difficult not to go there.

Barbara

Beverley Sims
02-10-2013, 02:24 PM
I must hold my hand out to get slapped on that one, even if I did criticize advisedly.
A bit like spelling really some are not able to explain the problem in a short post.

Sandra
02-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Lorileah

Well said :clap:

darla_g
02-10-2013, 02:35 PM
I agree with you Lorileah. I think there are some helpful points to people who wish to post their latest diatribe.

Tiny fonts, and serif fonts are a lot harder to read than the standard font and san serif font (like this Arial font).

Long blocks of text should be broken up with line breaks. Especially if something is cut and paste all paragraph formatting seems to be lost making it a very difficult task to read. Spend an extra minute or two to add some line breaks to make it more readable.

Gillian Gigs
02-10-2013, 03:10 PM
I agree with your comments. How about adding a face that would indicate when some one is being sarcastic so comments will not get taken out of context.

sandra-leigh
02-10-2013, 03:22 PM
How about adding a face that would indicate when some one is being sarcastic so comments will not get taken out of context.

:believeit:

One little, two little, three little sarcasms :doh:
four little, five little, six little sarcasms :brolleyes:

:flyingpig:

Deedee Skyblue
02-10-2013, 03:43 PM
I agree with you Lorileah. I think there are some helpful points to people who wish to post their latest diatribe.

Tiny fonts, and serif fonts are a lot harder to read than the standard font and san serif font (like this Arial font).

Long blocks of text should be broken up with line breaks. Especially if something is cut and paste all paragraph formatting seems to be lost making it a very difficult task to read. Spend an extra minute or two to add some line breaks to make it more readable.

I'm sure this might arouse some ire, but it would be really nice if more people used the spell checker as well.

Deedee

DianeDeBris
02-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Two quick and entirely subjective thoughts. First, Lori's comment is sensible and IMHO should be standard practice, not just here but in all areas of life. How can I comment on something I haven't read? I have no use (anywhere) for reading a few words and assuming I know the writer's entire thought.
Second, each of us has full freedom to read - or not read - whatever we like. There are a very few writers here whom I choose not to read; I certainly would not comment at all in reaction to something they have posted. And there are some people here whom I make it a point to read faithfully. That too is my choice. Freddy is one of those. I find her posts thoughtful, interesting, insightful, and well-written. It's great that we have a wide range of styles and viewpoints here. Hugs all around!

Andy66
02-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Thank you, Miss Lorileah.

Don't make me get all hard core Thanks :)
Youre kinda sexy when you get all hard core. ;) :heehee:

darla_g
02-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm sure this might arouse some ire, but it would be really nice if more people used the spell checker as well.

Deedeeagreed. Most computers these days (macs and windows pc's) underline a word when they don't recognize it. A big clue that maybe its not spelled right.

susan54
02-10-2013, 05:25 PM
I am quite happy to read longer posts as long as they are interesting. And I endorse the point about small fonts.

Angela Campbell
02-10-2013, 05:26 PM

Deedee

I have found that the spell checker is good at telling you if something is misspelled but there is no way to ask it to correct anything. Unless I have been looking in the wrong place. I cannot get it to work for me at all.

Robynts
02-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Speel cheker is a wunderful thang. It unnerlines mispelled wurds. Aal yas hafta do is righte klik on the red unnerlined wurd an it geves yas optuns to replaice the wurd.

Marleena
02-10-2013, 07:07 PM
There is a spell checker with Google Chrome that red underlines the mispelling with choices when you click on it. I'm not using Chrome on this computer but my spelling is not too bucking fad.:heehee:

We didn't all win spelling bees so some mispellings are expected.:)

Tamara Croft
02-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Lori has made her point and now I'm making mine. This was discussing the length of ones post, not discussing spell check. This isn't school, people can't spell, English might not be their first language, get over it. I'm not impressed with the piss taking on spelling in this thread either, below the belt and damn right childish.

And now I'm closing this thread.