PDA

View Full Version : Do you or don't you own a wedding dress.

Beverley Sims
02-11-2013, 05:24 AM
This survey is probably as effective as asking "How many of you reading this are inclined towards X Dressing."
I own three wedding dresses that I have had for sometime.
I use them for photography and costume events these days.
How many of you have one and do you get to use it.
How many of you are sensible and do not have one.
From this survey we may arrive at an unscientific ratio of wedding dress owners that are enjoying the moment, to those that have not fulfilled their lives yet by still looking for one.
So who has one taking up wardrobe space?
Who has not?

vplshowoff
02-11-2013, 05:52 AM
I have a nice wedding dress. I bought it at the Goodwill.

Mollyanne
02-11-2013, 05:56 AM
I don't have one as of yet but I do own a bridesmaid dress that hasn't fit me in years(can't understand why)

Molly

Jenni Yumiko
02-11-2013, 05:58 AM
Nope, too much white.

Deedee Skyblue
02-11-2013, 06:05 AM
Don't currently own one... but I would like to. I've asked a GG friend of mine to shop with me at consignment stores but so far our schedules haven't matched.

Deedee

Rogina B
02-11-2013, 06:35 AM
My wife says that no one would marry me again so I figured I best skip it.I have never even thought of one and I could put a lot of everyday clothes in the hanger space that a WD would take up..I would have to wear a dark grey one anyway,with my past!

noeleena
02-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Hi,

A wedding dress is not with in my clothes thinking if i needed one id make it any way. as you know i make my other clothes,

the reason & ill not be getting married again once is enough ,Im not sure about the , to those who have not fullfilled their lives yet by still looking for one, sorry im a bit slow on the meaning there,

While i think about it i dought id ever be a brides maid i dont have that good a look to take that role on , a maid yes ..... well maybe, & id hate to have my pic taken id embarrass myself & id hate to embarrass others, ....oh dear iv allready done that a number of times, no way no wedding dress,

...noeleena...

natalie_cheryl
02-11-2013, 06:39 AM
i don't have one myself but i would LOVE to get the bridal treatment some day going to the salon getting my hair make up and nails done, putting on my dress getting all the pictures taken :)

Emma Beth
02-11-2013, 07:30 AM
I don't have one.
I'm not sure I will either.

However; if I were to obtain one, it would be something simple and elegant.

dore50
02-11-2013, 07:32 AM
I have two wedding dresses, and two bridesmaids dresses, one custom made for me. I love them; they are great fun to wear.

Lady Catherine
02-11-2013, 08:09 AM
I do not own one. But, I would love to some day.

Kerstin
02-11-2013, 08:16 AM
No, I have no reason to own one.

darla_g
02-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Don't have one and will never own one. Not a fantasy i am interested in.

daarleane
02-11-2013, 08:49 AM
No I don"t have one as I simply do not share that fantasy. My clothes tend to be everyday wear not elegant since I do not do the "club" scene.

ronda
02-11-2013, 08:51 AM
yes i have a wedding dress and i am looking for another one

bridget thronton
02-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Do not own one - doubt I would buy one

Jennifer in CO
02-11-2013, 09:07 AM
worn one but don't own one

MysticLady
02-11-2013, 09:09 AM
I don't have a WD either and for some reason or another I don't really have the urge to get one. I love the elegant look though and would perfer an elegant bridesmaid look. Any girls looking to get married?(Im avaliable to be your bridesmaid:heehee:)

Maria S
02-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Do not have a need for one but wouldn't mind trying one on for the fun of it.

Maria

Cheryl T
02-11-2013, 09:13 AM
I don't own one nor will I buy one as I know I wouldn't get to wear it that often and it would be money wasted.
That being said, I do love the fantasy of being a bride and would love to have "my day"...full makeup and hair, dressed by my bridesmaids, the walk down the aisle and of course the reception afterwards, tossing the bouquet and having him remove and toss my garter.

Ashlee
02-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I scored one free on Craigslist a few years back. It was in the garment bag and had all the stuff, veil, other long thing and the dress. I wish it had been long sleeve w/high neck but what can you do? It was short sleeved and I kept it for a few years and put it in goodwill box. I did do a makeover with it and have pics etc. I just didn't want anymore.

Leanne2
02-11-2013, 09:27 AM
None now but I have owned 2 in the past. A few years ago my beautician was divorced. A year after that I asked about her dress. She was doing hair out of her house back then. She unwrapped her dress and showed it to me. It was very full and had a petticoat with it. Then she gave it to me. I said no but she insisted. It would take me a long time to tighten up the long sashes that pulled the back together.I loved that it made me feel like a princess. But I eventually donated the dress to the theater department at the local college. Now other girls can enjoy it like I did. Leanne

ClaudineD
02-11-2013, 09:52 AM
None here...just 2 bridesmaid dresses for 2 prior weddings -each with funny stories involving a mother of the bride and the mother of the groom in the other......one stil fits....the other?....oh to be a young 35 yr old fashionista again!!!,!

Jocelyn Quivers
02-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Zero interest or desire to wear or own one. In an alternate reality if were a GG I would not bother with the time or money spent on a wedding, I would just have a magistrate perform the ceremony and save lot's of time and money.

Barbara B
02-11-2013, 12:07 PM
I have one, and my wife wore it for the renewal of our vows at our 25th wedding anniversary.

Gwinnie
02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
I don't have one. But if I did I would wear it around the house all the time. I really want the one from Enchanted. Giant puff sleeves. Huge skirt. I bet the sound just moving around is amazing. And those huge sleeves!!! Only thing that would make that dress better is if it had a long train.

NV Susan
02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Add me to the "don't own" list, but I have worn one some time ago.

kimdl93
02-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Nope, I don't own one. I've never really had a desire to present as a blushing bride. It really doesn't do anything for me.

Lorileah
02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
two things. First, I can't wear white it would be hypocritical...now an off white might be OK:heehee:

Second, who would want to marry me with MY reputation?????

Nichola
02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't have one but I'd love to wear a wedding dress, theres just something so ultimately feminine about it. I've even dreamed about it, but the practicalities of storage etc & the likelyhood of ever wearing it, make it remain a dream in my case.

Beverley Sims
02-11-2013, 02:12 PM
two things. First, I can't wear white it would be hypocritical...now an off white might be OK:heehee:

Second, who would want to marry me with MY reputation?????

Very noble Lorileah, they do come in black.
Yes, you need to protect your reputation, marriage could put a kibosh on that.
To everyone else thanks for the replies and your feelings/reasons for not having and wanting a dress.
I had mine because I used to organise mock weddings for sporting clubs. Male bride/female groom.
They were a great fund raiser and I got married a couple of times as well.
Never spent the night with the groom, the wife wouldn't let me.
And some of their boyfriends wanted them back afterwards as well.
I never looked into the remainder of the bridal party's activities they just enjoyed themselves I think.

Elle1946
02-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't but I think that I would like to have one, but they take up a lot of room.

Joanne f
02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
I have half shares in one as my wife has one and what is hers is mine ( not so keen on it the other way around ) so maybe I am half sensible :heehee:

Stefanie Miller
02-11-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't own one but I would love to try one on in the future

JustWendy
02-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I don't own one and have never had the fantasy of being a bride or, at least, dressing up as one. Although, I wouldn't mind trying on and wearing a nice coctail dress or ball gown, but since I don't go out, I probably wouldn't buy one of those either.

Wendy

April_Ligeia
02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
No wedding dress for me. I was married once and it was an altogether unpleasant experience. I don't even want to pretend to be married.

RADER
02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I would love to have one, The wife even said go out and get one.
I checked and in my size it would have to be a special order.
I can not see spending that much money for something I could
only wear once in a while around the house. So It is back to dreaming.
Rader

Jilmac
02-11-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't own my own wedding dress and don't really have the desire to own one. However I have kept my wifes wedding dress as a momento of my love for her. I will probably never wear it though, unless I would have it altered to fit me as her size was somewhat larger than mine. Perhaps if I was 25 years younger, I might consider having one of my own.

Jodi
02-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Nope. Never have and never will.

Jodi

lynnef
02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Have one, got at good will for $7 (!) need to lose some weight to make it fit better though...

prene
02-11-2013, 05:48 PM
I own one. Love it.
You can only were it once. LOL

I wore it a lot of a week or so. Bought the white hose, bra and such.

Not very flexable, cannot wear it every day.
Kind of like my skirts and jeans (sorry Karen).
Have to have nice lingerie.

Leslie Langford
02-11-2013, 06:07 PM
I have four wedding dresses which I acquired over the years - all from Goodwill or other thrift shops, and all bought on a whim. I also bought the dye-able shoes and a couple of matching veils separately.

I was in drab on each occasion, and the look on the faces of the cashiers (with the requisite double-takes) each time was priceless, but they never said a word.

The last time, I actually had the courage to spirit the dress into a fitting room when no one was looking to make sure it fit - which it did. Practice makes perfect ;)!

Robinkay
02-11-2013, 06:23 PM
I had one about 20 years ago.....It was lost in a purging ;(
I found one at a garage sale a couple of years ago and it is really fun :D

Angela Campbell
02-11-2013, 08:52 PM
I have no plans to get married again, so no I do not have one. No need.The stuff I buy like clothes and makeup, and shoes...cost enough.

Brittany CD
02-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Don't need one, but it would be nice to try one on

susants
02-11-2013, 09:49 PM
I have one i bought at Davids Bridal
Never wear it it was just about the shopping had a wonderfull day tryed on about 10 gowns

Sometimes Steffi
02-11-2013, 10:57 PM
I actually have 3 that I recently acquired on eBay. They were all relatively inexpensive. If my wife would ever go out of town for a week, I'd actually get to do more than trying them on for 5 minutes. I have no desire to be a bride, but it was a fantasy to wear a bridal gown. I did a makeover once and had great pictures taken in one, but I had to give it back when the session was over.

They're not really very practical. They're hard to get into and to get out of, and even hard to get around in. Each of the WD have a train longer than the next. The longest one is even hard to drag across the floor, as it is heavily beaded.

So, it's just a fantasy, and I've spent more on a wig or breasts than I spent on any two wedding dresses combines.

Diane Smith
02-12-2013, 12:10 AM
I don't own one and am not really into the fantasy aspects of wearing one. However, if I were really, for sure, getting married, I would happily wear the dress -- even better if we could agree on matching gowns.

- Diane

Gillian84
02-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Nope. White is definitely not my color!

lingerieLiz
02-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Owned one and gave it away to GW.
Tried on several.

larissa-laurie
02-12-2013, 12:53 AM
I don't own one either but I would really like to try one on and wear it for an afternoon, anything feminine is usually exciting to experiment with.

celeste26
02-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Given the cost of the real thing, I have far too many other things that I actually need to spend the money on instead of such an item.

Emmacd74
02-12-2013, 01:11 AM
I have one, it was my first dress purchase. I love to wear it.

AshleeM
02-12-2013, 01:18 AM
Its on my to buy list, I found one here, http://www.milanoo.com/White-One-Shoulder-Lace-Organza-Wedding-Dress-For-Bride-p239534.html for about 85$, not including shipping but I've never bought anything from there so I'm concerned about sizing etc.

One of my fantasies is to have one though, and one by one I've checked them off. Wedding dress is one I will make happen eventually.

Even better than just wearing wedding dress would be to actually get married in one! To find a GG that would stand opposite me in that situation is a dream I doubt will ever happen. A girl can hope though!

crusadergirl
02-12-2013, 04:16 AM
I had one but i gave it away didn't take any pics

AmyGaleRT
02-12-2013, 05:14 AM
Own one? No. Wish I did? Oh, yes, that's a fantasy I have. It might be difficult to find one in my size, though...and so many of them are sleeveless or even strapless, I think I'd need sleeves of some sort...

- Amy

thisgal16
02-12-2013, 11:09 AM
I have one that i bought from goodwill that i love to wear. I lucked out to where i dont even think this dress was ever worn before i bought it. It is absolutely gorgeous. I just wish i could wear it more often.

TxKimberly
02-12-2013, 11:53 AM
I've had a few. it just doesn't get more fem than a wedding gown, it's just too bad that my wife HATES the very thought of my having one.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3129/2554626609_2d14ac6f8c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3216/2715434448_8e1efb83d0.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4136/4795270040_696b3a84ac.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2654/3881739777_ff32bfae94.jpg

PrettyPolly
02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
I have six and still buying

missmars
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
I have zero wedding dress

Paulette
02-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes I have one and i had it tailored to fit. Nothing screams feminine than a wedding dress. There is a complete different set o skills that you have to use to wear a dress as large as a wedding dress with train. I need a bridesmaid to help with everything from zipping me up to putting the train into the bustle. I have not even thought of how I was going to use the bathroom with that much dress.

StephanieDragg
02-12-2013, 04:40 PM
don't have one yet, I would love one!!!, always looking for just the right one!

Donna June
02-12-2013, 06:35 PM
I have one and love it

michelle65
02-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Don,t have one.but would love to have, don,t have the guts to buy one!!!

Abbygirl
02-12-2013, 07:19 PM
beautiful dresses Kimberly! I'm so jealous. Always wanted to wear a wedding dress, I'm one of us that sees it as the ultimate in fem dress. The problem is that if I were to get one before my GF does, she'd kill me! (yeah we've been dating a lonnggg time)

freeindress
02-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Zero interest or desire to wear or own one. In an alternate reality if were a GG I would not bother with the time or money spent on a wedding, I would just have a magistrate perform the ceremony and save lot's of time and money.
Same for me. Then if I was invited to a ceremony, I'd wear a modest dress.

Renee
02-12-2013, 07:47 PM
I dont own one, but would love to. Have looked at them at the second hand stores, but just cant justify the cost as of yet.

Renee
02-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Kimberly, both you and those dresses are gorgeous

Allison Chaynes
02-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Yes I have one.

flatlander_48
02-12-2013, 10:23 PM
No, I don't have one. Matter of fact, I was surprised to read about people having them when I first signed up. It's just something that never occurred to me.

BLUE ORCHID
02-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Not yet Bev., But it's on my bucket list for sure.

Frédérique
02-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Do you or don't you own a wedding dress.

No, I don’t own a wedding dress. I don’t see much point in it. However, I once made a painting of a wedding dress, not being worn by a bride-to-be, mind you, but lying across a bed, like a sacred object of some sort. The significance was not lost on me, but I’ve never entertained the idea of wearing a wedding dress…

Was that post SHORT enough for you, Beverly? Did I come to the point fast enough? Just asking…:straightface:

Beverley Sims
02-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Yes Frédérique,
That was short and to the point.

Your quote,
"I once made a painting of a wedding dress, not being worn by a bride-to-be, mind you, but lying across a bed, like a sacred object of some sort. The significance was not lost on me."

Even now you show that your thoughts are racing at 100 miles an hour.
I do like your posts and read most of them.
If you still have the painting it would be nice to see it posted
Sometimes the point is obscured in all the explanation.
It is that I also have the attention span of a clothesline sometimes.
I did make a comment about one of your posts after someone else had experienced a lack of understanding your point.
I did feel the same way.
There were a couple of other long posts about that time as well and it ws difficult to make sense of them.

I would not change your writing style or your font size I do not critisise that.
I do poke fun at you sometimes when you have made a deep and thoughtful post.
From me it is not a snide or sarcastic remark but more of a compliment that you are thinking great thoughts again.
I know you put a lot of thought into your posts, I like your avatar because it conveys that thought and caring to me.

Unfortunately a lot of us are bullies in a way and do not appreciate where girls like you are coming from.
I would have liked to see a smiley after your last line, but rest assured what you put was not lost on me
Please Frédérique, do not change anything you write as I know most do appreciate it.

I do.

I was about to apologise to the OP for being off topic but I will just have to go and slap my own hand on that one.
Ok girls back to you
Beverley.

Danielle_cder
02-13-2013, 09:39 AM
I dont own a wedding dress... just a tux from my wedding;)

franny lin
02-13-2013, 10:15 AM
To hard to hide. kimberly you are beautiful.

becky77
02-13-2013, 10:22 AM
As much as I would love to have the whole wedding experience with my dream wedding dress. Unless someone is prepared to take me down the aisle it seems a bit pointless to me to have one, expensive and frustrating. Would just remind me of what I can't have!
So no I haven't got one.

JenniferR771
02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
I had a wedding gown in the past (thrift store). I wore it to a support group Halloween party. FUN! Later my wife helped me get rid of some stuff when I was out of town. Gone, but she denies she got rid of it. So...now I have to wear my spare wedding dress. Its not as nice, and it is short with a sort of white bubble skirt.
And...a few times I have tried on wedding dresses in thrift stores. If I know the clerks well they have no problem with it. It takes a while for me to build up the courage, though.
I tried one on last week at a thrift store. Took a cell phone pic, but it was too small. Beautiful with lots of pearls.

StacyChambers
02-13-2013, 11:56 AM
I've worn/owned/enjoyed bridesmaid/prom/formal dresses aplenty. It would be fun to try on a wedding dress but I'm too practical to go out and buy one, even if it is inexpensive, because of where to store it as the one I'd want would have a very long train.

sometimes_miss
02-13-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't have a 'traditional' long one. Just the one you see in my avatar, which I don't wear very often. After all, most women only wear theirs once as well.

Jennifer Marie P.
02-13-2013, 05:04 PM
I love wedding dresses and you feel so sexy in them.I owe five of them love them so much and wear them ocasionally.

Tara D. Rose
02-13-2013, 05:21 PM
No. I do not own a wedding dress, however, my wife does own one. I have never thought to put it on though. I don't really have a desire to do so.

Diana1469
02-13-2013, 05:41 PM
I have two. I got them off eBay for fairly reasonable prices. I love satin and lace together! It was awhile ago so maybe I will go back to eBay and look for another!

Allison Chaynes
02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Thrift stores are hit and miss (a lot more miss than hit) and Ebay is usually over priced in my opinion. Anyone know of a good cheap place to get used wedding dresses?

BridalBoy
02-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Well, of course! I have 2

Chickhe
02-15-2013, 01:49 AM
Got one for a costume a few years back, but I still have it...someday I would love to just wear it and do some mock photoshoot somewhere or a trash the dress thing... what the heck do you do with it after you have worn it once?

Crissy Kay
02-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Don't have one and will never own one. Not a fantasy i am interested in.

Same here!! I just lump it in with all the other fem street clothes that I have no interest in!!

ssmjoanne
02-16-2013, 09:38 AM
I don't have a wedding dress but I do have a wedding corset (white) that my wife bought for me for our own "secret" wedding.

Asche
02-17-2013, 08:50 AM
I wouldn't mind having a wedding dress. To be honest, I've done a lot of drooling over wedding dresses. I'm divorced and have fantasized getting remarried and wearing the dress while doing it.

I actually saw a wedding dress in a thrift store that I thought might possibly fit me, but it was low-cut, which I'm not a fan of. I'm pretty picky about my clothes, esp. femme clothes, so if I really wanted a wedding dress, I'd have to design and make it myself. I already have several years worth of sewing to do to make the more everyday clothes I want, so I doubt I'll ever get around to it.

And, as others have pointed out, they take up a lot of space and there's precious little opportunity to wear one, other than on your wedding day (or maybe an anniversary or vow renewal.)

Maybe I can put it on my bucket list somewhere....

stacycoral
02-19-2013, 11:44 PM
:) After reading this thread, i thought i would show off my wedding dress picture again,this was taken in january 2011,:battingeyelashes: it was my second professional makeover in Denver, i can see my GG look forward all their lifes to be able to wear such a dress,:daydreaming: it is a feeling all it own, you can't help but feel pretty, so since this thread i been checking out dresses on ebay and you can get a new dress at a very good price:eek:, i see why Kim as so many, but i can't look that good, :2c: :hugs:

NathalieX66
02-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Wedding gowns are luscious and glorious. Knock yourself out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=potMBaXLqgk