PDA

View Full Version : I have been asked to help market business decisions towards Cd's crowd

michelle64
02-11-2013, 08:38 PM
kinda flattered..but i said no.way too busy at my normal job to help the boutique..i did provide future contact information should the ladies have any questions going forward..actually i am very hesitant to even help as my experience tells me some of us can cause a problem with customers the boutique relies on to stay in business...any thoughts on what i should tell the owners?...small boutique trying to offer some services to the CD community

Melissa Rose
02-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Being treated with respect and diginity is a given. Having privacy and security is huge. Being able to shop and try on clothes without others knowing is paramount. It really comes down to feeling comfortable. Fear is what holds most back so eliminate the things most cross dressers are afraid of - embarrassment, ridicule, being outed, etc.. Fashion advice on how to look more feminine would also be welcome.

docrobbysherry
02-12-2013, 12:03 AM
Tell them that aiming just for the "dressers" market could be the deathnell of their business?

NathalieX66
02-12-2013, 12:16 AM
WTF?? What the capital F? Really??? Why?

I love being out in the open. People in my area treat me fine, if not happiness. ....never got treated bad, except for one incident.

Beverley Sims
02-12-2013, 05:01 AM
The owners know their business and would not knowingly jeopardise it for some silly whim.
They want to experiment and if you can help them good for you.
Certainly give them input and your reservations as they probably have no idea where to turn.
If it falls flat, you all say been there done that and move on to something else.
If you have the time and can devote some, do it because it is a challenge.
Then if it doesn't work read the previous line again.

Vickie_CDTV
02-12-2013, 05:43 AM
If they want trans customers, tell them they need to get involved with and be visible in their local trans community (sponsor events, do a presentation at a group meeting, etc.)

People ask me all the time about finding other trans friendly services and often I can't help them, because I don't know myself. Make yourself be known to the community that you are a friendly resource, build up good word of mouth advertising, build goodwill in the community etc.

Nikki50/50
02-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Watch the movie "What Women Want"
hahahahahahaha

Rogina B
02-12-2013, 06:56 AM
I know that it is a lot of work and balancing to split the focus between GG and TG markets. My close friend Barbara at Florence's Fashions in Wakefield Mass has done it for over 30 years and her mother was putting guys in girdles over 40 years ago. The TG community and supporting it like Glamour Boutique does and others is a big part of it.Sometimes conservative women are uncomfortable around the dressing room if TG's are going through the racks and the most closeted of people don't want to be seen trying on the pink ruffled panties..Wigs are a good seller when reasonably priced and hold an interest for all,breast forms less so....However,the larger size bras,girdles,clothes,etc also hold an interest to all that need larger sizes. But,it all takes a lot of extra work to be successful and selling sense when dealing with the closeted isn't learned overnight! So,tell them about the need for forms,padded panties,bras,wigs,beard cover,etc,what do you have to lose?

Brenda79135
02-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Changing a business model is always a tricky thing. Even Wally World discovered that. A couple of years ago they tried to do an up scale in the womens clothing to make it more like Target. The introduced the Metro 7 line. For them it was a total failure. Their revenue from clothing dropped and they could give the stuff away. Since then, they have gone back to what they had before and revenues have picked back up. So I can see why you don't want to help. For a small store, it could wipe them out.

monalisa
02-12-2013, 09:01 AM
They could create an internet website and sell clothes over that to broaden their market or offer special hours or hours for appointment only for their customers. Could also create a rewards program for loyal customers or offer some additional item or coupon if you purchase $100 or more. They could advertise on craigslist or you could put their name out to the crossdressing community as being a friendly place to shop. There are many ways to increase their sales but it always comes down to quality and price as well as having the items the customer wants.

CassandraSmith
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
.any thoughts on what i should tell the owners?...small boutique trying to offer some services to the CD community

Get hooked into the local T-Girl clubs. Portland has one and once you're on their lists, you just get all the email going back and forth from everyone. I'm sure there's some sort of procedure for advertising an event or special store hours. Everyone just this week went to a local restaurant owned by one of the members and they advertised it. I for one would love it if a boutique would throw a private party for CDers on a Saturday night or late when the store is normally closed. It depends on the store front also and the neighborhood it's in.

Stephanie47
02-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Years ago there was a small women's shop in a strip mall that had a small sign in the window that indicated it was gender friendly and had hours by appointment also. That was thirty years ago. It was obviously the shop was soliciting the business of cross dressers. It was assuring the privacy of their clients, too.

In my area of the country, people are fairly liberal. That does not mean there aren't sexual bigots around. As a proprietor I would stress to my employees that everyone should be treated with respect. If the employee has a problem with that, then kick them to the street.

Right now there are news reports of a bakery who will not bake and decorate a wedding cake for a same sex couple because of the religious tenants they hold, even though same sex marriages are legal under state law. A lot of people have flocked to the bakery to support their stand by buying lots of cakes, etc. So much for enlightenment.

You're correct in being caution because the store could end up getting pickets in front protesting cross dressers and what the protesters perceive we are. And, whatever state you live in may not offer the protection Washington State offers to transgenders and cross dressers.

Vickie_CDTV
02-12-2013, 02:58 PM
One does not have to hang a big sign or such in front of their store. Just letting the trans community know that you exist and are trans friendly goes a long way (the trans community is well connected today, as opposed to 30 years ago.) If one wants to put a small sign on their store, one could use some terminology that the average person would not be familiar with (eg. "GG/TV/TS welcome".)

kimdl93
02-12-2013, 03:22 PM
I agree with Vicki above. I don't think we're looking for anything other than a welcoming environment. Our styles and preferences are so varied, that I don't think its possible to target a "CD" or "TG" style. (Maybe some really good foundation garments would be appreciated)

JenniferR771
02-12-2013, 03:42 PM
And don't forget...shoes in large sizes.
And lots of privacy in dressing rooms. Maybe men"s, women's, unisex and others spread out enough so privacy is assured and no close contact with other customers is required.
Above ideas are good, large sizes, wigs, special after hours events, regular attendance at TG events, and visibility in the TG community. Maybe the owners could present a seminar for cds at a support group. Such as how to accessorize an outfit, how to find your size in a dress, skirt or jeans, fashion advice for big boned.
Maybe they could help present a charity fashion show...with cd models. Perhaps wedding gown trends for 2013.

Allison Chaynes
02-12-2013, 10:18 PM
A cheap way to drum up business would be to advertise on Craigslist. As everyone here has said, just make it clear it's a women's store that is OK with us.

Check this ad out-someone is clearly marketing towards CDs. http://memphis.craigslist.org/clo/3591154086.html

SarahMarie42
02-12-2013, 11:34 PM
I could help you a great deal, actually -- business analytics and economics are both listed as "interests" on my profile xD, and I'm an econ major who sometimes focuses on institutional and organizational decision making :]

You worry that the boutique, in its current pursuit of CD customers as a new potential revenue stream, will drive existing customers away due to the prejudices which they may currently hold. A fair concern, as similar issues led to those business-owners, who may not have been racist themselves, turning away customers of a given race or culture in an era when racism was part of the greater popular culture. It led to a self-perpetuating game, where no one business would take the first step and risk driving customers toward another business as a result -- but I digress. If you can provide me with some information as to how the boutique is structured, how it offers its services, who shops there, how they shop there, etc., I might be able to come up with something to help you xD

Michelle M
02-13-2013, 01:11 AM
It sounds like they don't want to replace their business model, but enhance it by embracing a new customer base.
I don't know where you are located, but assuming you have the customer base, I think I would be all over that. It sounds like an opportunity to me.

I might have a new section titled [I]alternative styles[I], or something like that, and have a SA, or myself, assigned to that section for specific hours. I don't mean after hours, but we want to know that when we come in, the SA for us will be working. That way we know we will meet someone ready to deal with our specific requirements. Have some dressing rooms set up so that we can try things without fear of embarrassment.

I would have a selection of things we like in sizes we can wear, and I would set up an easy drop ship solution for all of the things we want, but you can't inventory. This would give us anonymous access to the world of internet shopping. I'm sure a reasonable fee for this service would be welcomed.