PDA

View Full Version : Sewing your own clothes

Brenda Freeman
02-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Hi, Fuchsia's post on altering made me think about an interest. I have never used a sewing machine. I have had one dress altered by a seamstress and am thinking about having a couple more done as the fit and look was wonderful when done. Anway how many of you do sew? How and when did you learn? and how do you use your skills, alterations? complete outfits etc. When I was in middle school Boys took shop girls took home skills sewing cooking etc. Would have loved to learn sewing and am thinking about taking a class.

Tamara Croft
02-16-2013, 11:37 AM
My SO has a sewing machine, she has a go at making things and is not too bad at it. My gran taught me to use a sewing machine when I was 8 years old, I loved it, made all sorts of clothes for my dolls and as I got older, making things for myself, then my children :) Not so much now though, don't have the time nor the patience lol :)

TessaGirl
02-16-2013, 11:55 AM
I almost certainly cannot sew clothes by hand or machine, have never actually tried! Did have some unisex sewing lessons at primary school, though that was only about sewing framed patterns to hang on the wall. Perhaps you could buy a sewing machine and learn how to use it? :)

UNDERDRESSER
02-16-2013, 12:10 PM
I HAD a sewing machine, but hardly used it, so I sold it. I did manage to make a pair of swimming briefs, they were wearable, but not in public! My SO has a machine, and is a fairly accomplished seamstress, but a much better knitter. She has modified a pair of mens pants for me, they now fit my but really well! She would be much happier to modify a skirt if needed, she says they are a lot simpler to work with!

Danielle_cder
02-16-2013, 12:28 PM
i have a sewing machine! (in the attic)lol Have been contemplating getting some patterns and making some new stuff;) does any one have some bra patterns?

Fuchsia
02-16-2013, 12:46 PM
I do have a sewing machine but most alterations are done by hand anyway. It helps if you have a precise and steady hand, as I do. A sewing machine is for making more than repairing xxx

Brenda Freeman
02-16-2013, 12:58 PM
I do have a sewing machine but most alterations are done by hand anyway. It helps if you have a precise and steady hand, as I do. A sewing machine is for making more than repairing xxx

Fuchsia how did learn to do alterations?

Luna Nyx
02-16-2013, 01:08 PM
i would love to start learning how to sew my own outfits and clothes.

Georgia_Maine
02-16-2013, 01:14 PM
How funny. When in 6th grade the boys and girls switched between wood shop and home economics (cooking & sewing) half way through the year. My sewing projects were simple, an apron for cooking classes and a gym bag. After I married my lovely wife she taught me how to custom sew my own shirts from patterns. With her help they came out pretty good. If you're really interested in taking up sewing maybe you should check out some of the local fabric shops. Many have sewing classes for beginners to advanced. My guess is that you'll be the only guy there, so you should find a lot of ladies willing to help.:heehee:

BLUE ORCHID
02-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi Brenda, I learned to use the sewing machine in my early teen years it has served me well over the last 58yrs.

It really comes in handy I taught my Daughters how to use the machine and got my Grand Daughter started

Any time my wife want something Swen she will say when you get a chance I need this fixed.

Brend if there's a JoAnn fabric store near by they have sewing classes in store.

Memzy
02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Learning how to use a sewing machine [especially a serger] is rrreeeaalllyyyy handy! My bestie taught me how, now we make all sorts of costumes, and clothing. It's really fun. Fabric and materials can get a little pricy depending on how completely crazy you get.

I would totally recommend how to sew!

phoebe61
02-16-2013, 03:48 PM
I've being able to sew since a teen, never hade lessons as sutch but did learn a bit at school n my grandmother but never did anything with it until about 20 years ago made 1 pair trouses then i admitted about being trans i started making circular skirts for me n my wife then later pencil wiggle skirts, so if i was you i would take lessons n practice on scrap material.
phoebe uk

Alice Torn
02-16-2013, 05:43 PM
I have had to sew both my guy clothes at times, and dresses at times, with plain old thread and needle. OUCH! Poked myself! Butchered some seams, but did ok on others.

Emma Leigh
02-16-2013, 06:12 PM
This is something I have been getting into of late....I dug out my late mothers sewing machine and I have been learning to use it...just been using it for alterations at the moment because I was given a large quantity of dresses and skirts some of which are a tad tight but I have been buying material off ebay with the intention of making stuff but I am not good enough yet but I am getting better

SarahLynn
02-16-2013, 10:46 PM
I learned to sew about the time I learned to sit in a chair with both feet on the floor. My mum was a seamstress sewing drapes and curtians for a living. I've been doing it since then, though I don't do as much sewing as before still when i want a new skirt and don't want to go shopping for clothes it's time to drag out the machine and press the peddle.

SarahLynn

pretty-boy
02-16-2013, 10:51 PM
I never used sewing machine, sometimes I manual sew some clothes and underwear, and I still remember I helped my roomie(girl) to manual sew her bra many years ago, so she call me sister.

docrobbysherry
02-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Many years ago, I was traveling over seas in winter. The buttons on the front of my coat kept falling off. I had a travel sewing kit and sewed them back on twice. They didn't last a week before falling off again.

Then, I hooked up with a girl from Canada. She sewed those buttons back on and they never came off again!

Now, when I sew on a button, it STAYS ON! I do a lot of repairing and some crappy alterations to Sherry's clothes. Use a sewing machine? Ha ha! Not hardly!

Asche
02-17-2013, 08:33 AM
As someone who has been sewing his own clothes now for almost a decade, I can say that once you learn the basics (which you can learn from most any sewing course, whether at a fabric store or at a local community college or continuing education program), it's mostly a matter of practice and patience. (Like getting to Carnegie Hall :) )

Skirts, especially the sort of circle skirts I prefer, are pretty easy. I'm a life-long techie, so I don't use a pattern, I just use basic geometry and math to figure out how to get a conical shape. I've started trying to make blouses and dresses, and there's been a lot of trial and error in the process -- especially error! Figure on it taking several tries on any particular garment type before you get results you'll be happy with. (And spending a _lot_ of time using a seam ripper!)

And that's the thing. If your goal is simply to get some nice clothes, it's not worth it to sew them yourself. Ready-made clothes are cheaper than buying the fabric to make them, and you don't have to make several botched versions before you get a good one.

On the other hand, if you enjoy spending your spare time making stuff anyway, and the idea of ending up with something that is exactly what you've dreamed of and could never find in any shop appeals to you, then go for it.

BTW, if you're buying a machine, I'd go for a basic but solid non-electronic sewing machine (with straight and zig-zag.) I'm told that you can find good quality used machines for a reasonable price. I've never used a serger because they all seem to cost over $700 and I've been getting decent results from my regular machine.

Beverley Sims
02-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Learning how to use a sewing machine [especially a serger] is rrreeeaalllyyyy handy! My bestie taught me how, now we make all sorts of costumes, and clothing. It's really fun. Fabric and materials can get a little pricy depending on how completely crazy you get.
I would totally recommend how to sew!

If you are in show business it is a must.
I have always been a modifier although you can't buy full skirts with yards of tulle under them.
Those I can make but regular clothes are cheaper to buy than material and even a roll of good thread can cost more than a top.

RitaCD
02-17-2013, 02:48 PM
I do my own sewing repairs and minor alterations. Mom taught me when I was about 10. Though I never learned to use her sewing machine, I watched her make her own clothes (blouses and dresses). The neat thing is that she used me as her manikin and I loved it. I got to wear her new clothes before she did.

CD_DIANE
02-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Between the internet and youtube (for the DIY videos), there is a ton of information on sewing. If you take a look around, you can find patterns for just about anything you could want (mostly free yet !). With a little more effort, you can find which machines are the most durable (not Singer), and places like overstock.com have them at good prices.

Diane