PDA

View Full Version : I never felt that naming my feminine personality was appropriate. Until now.

Valerie Nova
02-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Anyone on who can change my forum name here? I know others have done it. Please? I guess to "Valerie Nova". Leave the last part of the name the same so people recognize me.

I came up with girls' names in the past to call myself, but only when asked for one in places like this one. They never seemed right though. I mean, your name isn't something that you give yourself. It's something that's always been a part of you, and there are few things more closely associated with your personality than your name. Just slapping one on made it seem too fake for my tastes. Like, you're playing a character, and it's not really you. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, don't worry. The various ways that the yin and yang interact in my own mind means I barely understand me myself.)

When asked for a name, I'd usually say "Andrea", but that was always a kind of weak joke, playing on the fact that the Greek prefix andr- is usually associated with words referring to men or masculinity. I tried using other names, like girls' names that I kind of liked, but again, they felt too fake. The names I'd come up with, like "Julia" or "Diane" were always names I associated strongly with femininity, but even my feminine personality isn't really all that feminine, when I face the facts. They were always about something I wanted to be or was trying to be, not who I really was. Like the episode of the Simpsons where Homer names himself "Max Power". ("I got it off a hairdryer!")

I had just kind of assumed that I'd always feel that way, and that no female name would ever feel like it was really my name, and not just someone else's name that I gave myself. It doesn't help that there are no female counterparts to my real name, like Maria-Mario, Steven-Stephanie, or Carl-Carla. There are some that kind of could be, but I think they all sound really stupid.

But then I finally realized what name is totally appropriate to the way the feminine part of my personality feels. For some reason, I decided that the name "Valerie" seemed totally appropriate. I have no idea why. I don't particularly love this name, but then who out there really loves their given name? Just, that name seemed totally appropriate to the way I felt when I tried to express that feminine part of my personality, more than any other name I could think of. The only Valerie I ever knew was the obese sister of a friend, who during the time I knew her had started dating black men almost exclusively, because they would usually see her large size as a good thing, and would prefer her over girls like, say, Heidi Klum.

This is probably rationalization after the fact, but I do think there's a lesson for me from that other Valerie. See, there was something about her that her potential love interests viewed as a huge (pun intended) liability. Being an obese woman, and thereby considered unattractive by most of society, has a lot in common with being an effeminate guy. You're always trying to change who you are, but ultimately you like what you like, and expending so much energy on trying to live up to what society expects from you is very draining and can ultimately make your life not as fulfilling anymore. But this girl Valerie, she found a way to change her life and habits in a way that turned her rather large amount of body fat into an asset. And I guess there are advantages to being more feminine than most guys. I just have to figure out ways to take advantage of them, like the other Valerie did.

I'm going to try and lose a bunch of weight so I'm really skinny and grow my hair down to my shoulders, I think. A lot of girls like that skinny, androgynous, anime-guy look, I'm told. I just hope at some point I'll only need to express one personality, because that'll be all I need.

:)

sandra-leigh
02-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Name change is done.

allesha10
02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Not sure about the name change, but I am sure you look very sensual there on the couch, great look. I ma not sure why you think you should lose weight, you have the perfect figure now. I believe we think we need to look like some image that is not us. You look like the perfect GG.

Valerie Nova
02-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Not sure about the name change, but I am sure you look very sensual there on the couch, great look. I ma not sure why you think you should lose weight, you have the perfect figure now. I believe we think we need to look like some image that is not us. You look like the perfect GG.
Here's the thing about that comment: It's the sort of dishonesty that's designed to make people feel better. The ironic thing about that picture, is that it was selected from one of 89 pictures of me wearing that particular top with tight jeans. Granted, the pictures were taken using software that saves a new image every 8 seconds or so, so many were just ones where I didn't stop the camera because I can just delete the crappy ones later. I selected that outfit because I think it kind of shows a bit of the side of me that I was trying to get at in my post. That is, not a particularly feminine outfit, but one that still shows that the image I'm going for is still unmistakably female. And I feel like that's kind of a mirror of the way that even though I may not have a feminine demeanor most of the time, there's still something to me that's unmistakably female all the time, damn it.

Anyway, that picture was one of 89 that I carefully went through, weeding out all the ones where I looked awkward, or I wasn't smiling, and especially the ones where you could see a bit of a shadow from stubble. And then after I posted the one that I thought I liked best, you said you really liked it, and then I went back and edited it, changing it to a different picture of me in the exact same outfit, where I thought my face looked ever-so-slightly prettier, even though no one probably noticed. And here's the thing I'm realizing: That's exactly the sort of thing girls do all the time. You know all those self-pictures of teenage girls on facebook? You don't think that behind every one of those, there's at least a dozen that didn't make the cut?

Anyway, thanks. I do like that picture and that look, but in most of them, it's more obvious that I'm wearing a wig, or I'm striking a less flattering pose. And padding my figure took a lot of effort. So why do I bother to do all this crap when I can't show this side of me to anyone I know? That's a good f'ing question. I just know that after about a year being the guy in a relationship, I start looking at girls less like "oh, she's hot!" and start critiquing or admiring their outfits, and wanting to put together outfits that I think would look good on me. Eventually, I'll find myself subconsciously sabotaging a relationship because I want to be able to remove the hair on my chest and legs, without the only person that I can't hide those areas from asking questions. Like, I'll start actually valuing my need to look and feel pretty above my need to be in a sexual relationship. I have to work this out before I can get in another long term relationship, I think.

We all try and improve the way others see us by doing things that alter our outer appearance to reflect some image that we'd like to see ourselves as. This is a common factor among every adult on the planet, especially women and girls. I don't think that we can say it's a bad thing, if it's part of human nature.

SarahMarie42
02-17-2013, 07:06 PM
This is somewhat tangential, but I love the fact that you used Greek etymology to imply a joke xD

Beverley Sims
02-17-2013, 10:02 PM
See Valerie, Magic Happens.
Is that top black or brown.
I am refering back to the photo section I suppose where you described your outfits.