PDA

View Full Version : So, my GF outed me, sort of.....Very interesting response from group of teenagers.

UNDERDRESSER
02-18-2013, 12:07 AM
My GF was having a discussion with a group of 14 and 15 year olds, about 5 or 6 of them in, lets call it a teaching role. The subject was about Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation. There was another lady there, who is known to them as Lesbian, ( or is that BI? can't remember )

One of the more interesting comments from one of the girls was that the nature of her genitals, and her orientation is nobody else's business unless they were actively trying to date her. ( Very adult and clear thinking comment to my mind ) At one point of the discussion, my GF mentioned "A very dear friend" "Who is straight, but likes to wear womens clothes"

Their response was the same as hers when i told her. "Oh Cool!"

In some places it seems there is hope. :)

savvy_fudge
02-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Very nice. I'm glad that their response wasn't negative. There's always hope.

Diane Smith
02-18-2013, 02:44 AM
I think the intolerance of teenagers is sometimes vastly exaggerated in this community. Admittedly, a group of giggly girls following you around at the mall can be an annoyance, but there's nothing really dangerous about them, and if you make the effort to stop, talk to them and explain yourself a bit, the current generation has usually proved to be rather open-minded and tolerant to me. It's just that when they form a herd of their own kind with no external references, they can devolve into a kind of inward-directed mindlessness that really is much more about them than you. Some sincere and positive steps at educating them can pay off nicely, though.

And yeah, I teach high school for a living.

- Diane

Beverley Sims
02-18-2013, 04:48 AM
When confronted with something strange the mob mentality rules, but when they are given an explanation they are more tolerant and will listen.

kimdl93
02-19-2013, 12:24 PM
I was trying to imagine participating in such an open discussion of gender and sexual orientation when I was 14... my how things have changed (for the better) at least in some places! Good for your GF. She's helping!

Stephanie47
02-19-2013, 12:40 PM
In states that have had popular votes on whether or not to allow same sex marriages most have voted it down. And, in the states that have voted to allow same sex marriage, there have been health minorities voting no. And, the voting age is 18. I think the 'herd mentality' is fairly entrenched in society. And, many people exhibit 'political correctness,' but, display their true colors in private.

Tolerance does not mean acceptance.

Tabitha Storm
02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
When I told my daughter who was 17 at the time she said "ok" and that was it.
A lot more tolerance in the future thanks to today's kids.

JeanneF
02-19-2013, 03:41 PM

I think it's the happy byproduct of kids being exposed to the idea of diversity as "normal". Thanks to positive LGBT images in the media, kids are actually exposed to the fact that gender divergent people are not scary, they're just people.

Jill Devine
02-19-2013, 06:19 PM
When I told my daughter (15 yrs old at the time) she just said "oh, that's cool!"
She has never raised the topic again but was obviously ok with it. Younger generation is very open minded.