PDA

View Full Version : Nice to see that Google "gets it"...

Leslie Langford
02-19-2013, 09:47 AM
I just upgraded to an Android-enabled smartphone over the weekend (the Samsung Galaxy S III rocks!) and set up a gmail account with Google to help manage apps and downloads.

While filling out the obligatory personal profile as part of this account creation process, I noticed that under the gender category the options listed were "male", "female", and "other".

Nice!

kimdl93
02-19-2013, 09:50 AM
That's interesting. I'm glad they allowed the option. Personall, I'm not sure how I'd answer. I have found myself checking female as I register at various sites, and I think part of me would prefer that to "other".

Interestingly, I have noticed a number of times when there's a Google banner on the top of a page, that the ads are for things I've purchased on line. I often see banners for Coldwater Creek and Avenue, two on-line merchants I patronize. And yesterday, for example, the Banner listed ebay links for breast forms....as it happens I had just purchased some. I suppose this might have the potential for embarrassment if such an ad pops up at an inopportune time.

Barbara Ella
02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Would be interesting to know how checking the other alters their searching and ad selections for display. Good that they recognize another category.

Barbara

Lorileah
02-19-2013, 12:35 PM
They are trying to keep up with Amazon. Now when I log on Amazon, I get suggestions for "cross dressing men" just because I checked out a foundation garment once

Brooke Smith
02-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Download the Google Chrome app and avoid the ads and pop-ups altogether by using the "incognito" tab.

Stephanie47
02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
The other day I got an gmail from a forum member recommending I use Terro to get rid of some moisture ants. The next time I logged onto that particular gmail account there was an ad for rodent control.

Once after checking out lingerie on the Roaman's site, I got a display ad next to a child's word game I was playing.

The same happens with eBay. "Based on your previous searches...." there it is an open bottom girdle, slips, dresses, high heels.

Fortunately, my wife likes to use IE and I use Firefox.

Beverley Sims
02-19-2013, 01:03 PM
I am sorry Leslie I take the Victor Borge option when he talks about Denmark.
There are three sexes there, Male Female and convertible.
From the LP Album, Caught In The Act.
I agree things are improving other is used as an all encompassing basket we used to call "Too Hard".

JoanneBerryUS
02-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Wow that's wonderful I will go with "other" on my next phone.

Chickhe
02-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Would be even more cool if they allowed you to opt out of providing any personal information...option "none of your business'.

...they don't 'get it'. Maybe woman would buy more pipewrenches if they saw the adds... maybe I'm a guy, but I like to buy my wife stuff... its like walking in the woman's section and being redirected to the men's because that's what I am... yuck!

biggirlsarah
02-19-2013, 01:47 PM
How about Male Female, or dont know?

mikiSJ
02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
If you are concerned about Google, Amazon, whatever, tracking your activities through emails or site visits, use a virtual machine and keep your femme personality separate from your guy personality. (Look up "virtual machines" and you will find it very simple to set up, at least on a Windows machine.)

I am not terribly troubled with mixing my guy and femme personalities vis-a-vis internet surfing, but it is a tad cumbersome to explain to my wife, who normally sits next to me watching TV while I surf, why a Herroom.com or a something similar ad pops up on a web page.

reb.femme
02-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Samsung Galaxy S III rocks.

The S III is the dogs bolleaux (amended spelling) :heehee:

Rebecca

AmyGaleRT
02-20-2013, 03:00 AM
If you are concerned about Google, Amazon, whatever, tracking your activities through emails or site visits, use a virtual machine and keep your femme personality separate from your guy personality. (Look up "virtual machines" and you will find it very simple to set up, at least on a Windows machine.)

I did something similar. I had a laptop lying around, not doing much of anything, a Chromebook, in fact. And I already had Amy set up with a GMail account. Hmm...why not put her profile on this laptop? So now it's "Amy's laptop," where I can stay logged in to this site, Facebook, etc., without worrying about it "spilling over" into my male self.

When I use my desktop machine, I use a Chrome incognito window for Amy-purposes.

- Amy

Nikki50/50
02-20-2013, 06:02 AM
That's interesting. I'm glad they allowed the option. Personall, I'm not sure how I'd answer. I have found myself checking female as I register at various sites, and I think part of me would prefer that to "other".

Interestingly, I have noticed a number of times when there's a Google banner on the top of a page, that the ads are for things I've purchased on line. I often see banners for Coldwater Creek and Avenue, two on-line merchants I patronize. And yesterday, for example, the Banner listed ebay links for breast forms....as it happens I had just purchased some. I suppose this might have the potential for embarrassment if such an ad pops up at an inopportune time.

Facebook will also show some ads on the sidebar that are definitely NOT coincidence. It is an actual FACT that we are all being tracked, on everything we say, purchase, browse, and click. Netflix was one of the earlier sites to use a similar tracking program model. By tracking what movies you ordered/viewed most, it subcategorized a 'favorites' idea of what to place on your available to watch now on-screen catalog. This model was later adapted to consumer retail advertising, with astounding results.

NeKoi
02-20-2013, 06:17 AM
I too agree that we're constantly being watched. Kind of scary when you think about it.

Anyway, its a pretty good commercial move for them to put that up, maybe that way, they can flood you with more "other" related ads.

Depending on what I'm using the account for, mostly I pick female, unless its something that requires a lot of real information.

bobbimo
02-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Google is the WORST for watching where you go and then telling all their advertisers about it so that you can be badgered for the next 6 weeks.
I use firefox in privacy mode.
so far so good.
The only ad I cant shake is OBAMA for pres, and I'm a registered ind. His crap still shows up.
As for the gender options.
male, female, variable.

KimberlyJean
02-20-2013, 08:13 PM
I have found if I delete the cookies and temporary internet files from my computer, the ads go away.

ArleneRaquel
02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
I have purchased many female items at Amazon and I have reviews under the name "ArleneRaquel". I don't remeber ever receiving an e-mail, from them, about being a crossdressing male.:eek: