PDA

View Full Version : Coating for Jewelry? (Some metals cause a rash)

"Mary"
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
I usually don't have a problem with allergies to jewelry. Probably because I never where any in guy mode. After shaving very very close, my neck gets irritated. Although my skin was covered with make up, some inexpensive necklaces have given me a painful rash (revealed after removing make up).

Is there a simple and inexpensive way to coat "fashion" / "costume" jewelry to prevent this? I searched on line and found a few expensive things that seemed like clear nail polish. One site said simply use actual clear nail polish.

Any good ideas out there?

Lorileah
02-19-2013, 12:14 PM
a light coat of clear nail polish on the metal may help

My problem is the "silver" dissolves and I end up with brass jewelry. (and if anyone knows how to fix that..PM me)

Jenni Yumiko
02-19-2013, 12:21 PM
It kinda sucks, forced me to only wear white gold or gold. Unfortunately that gets expensive so I find myself wearing less and less

darla_g
02-19-2013, 12:32 PM
My daughter for instance had a nickel allergy. If she wore jeans with a snap at the waist she would get a rash at that exact spot. Yes you can use clear polish to avoid this problem.

sonna
02-19-2013, 12:36 PM
varnish. use to watch my mom do it all the time

Miriam-J
02-19-2013, 09:41 PM
My sister has this problem. She sticks to gold (earrings, necklaces) and it's no problem. An expensive solution, but perhaps necessary.

Miriam

Ezekiel
02-19-2013, 11:14 PM
I'm allergic too to some jewelry, I have my ears pierced and for sometime I did wear earrings but in the end they only caused me problems. Its a shame but I can't use my favorite huge ear rings I used to wear. I guess I should try magnetic earrings.

Beverley Sims
02-19-2013, 11:24 PM
My problem is the "silver" dissolves and I end up with brass jewelry. (and if anyone knows how to fix that..PM me)

Like me Lorileah, you have bought cheap plated jewellery.
Nice flashed, silver and gold. Bought in Hong Kong and other Asian countries.
The plating wears off and the chemicals leach into the skin.
Causing irritation.

Toni Citara
02-20-2013, 12:24 AM
From second-hand experience, (the gg ex-wife), I have to second and third what Lorileah and "Mary" posted - clear polish will work.

Cover the offending jewelry with clear nail laquer and just remember to re-coat every few wearings.

LLAP

Karren H
02-20-2013, 12:27 AM
I would coat them in a black plastic trash bag and set them by the curb....

Vickie_CDTV
02-20-2013, 05:20 AM
You could try jewelry completely made from an inexpensive, hypoallergenic metal like stainless steel if you can't afford gold or silver.
http://www.evesaddiction.com/items_666__page2.html

It might also be interesting to try as a science project of sorts; I'd try wearing a necklace like that and see if you still get the rash, as it would help rule out the other necklaces you have as the finite cause.

"Mary"
02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Wow - some great ideas. Buying sterling silver or gold would be best. But since I wear these thing so infrequently, I can't justify it. Plus, there's the "try -it" factor. And, a few of the things I buy are larger, flashy bling, that would cost a fortune in silver or gold. I'm liking clear polish and lacquer solutions so far.

Since nail polish can be a bit viscous, I'm wondering if it might interfere with a fine chain, and make it move / bend a little funny, though

linda allen
02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Nail polish ? You guys think like a girl! :devil:

Nail polish is lacquer. Now what makes more sense, trying to coat a chain necklace with nail polish and a little brush in the cap or buying a spray can of clear lacquer hanging it up and spraying it?

linda allen
02-21-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm allergic too to some jewelry, I have my ears pierced and for sometime I did wear earrings but in the end they only caused me problems. Its a shame but I can't use my favorite huge ear rings I used to wear. I guess I should try magnetic earrings.

That's when you switch to non-reactive metals like gold, silver, or stainless steel.

Lorileah
02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Nail polish is lacquer. Now what makes more sense, trying to coat a chain necklace with nail polish and a little brush in the cap or buying a spray can of clear lacquer hanging it up and spraying it?

Um...wait I know this...um... I choose.....No really I got this...:thinking::witsend::idontknow:

Jenni Yumiko
02-21-2013, 02:00 PM
I would coat them in a black plastic trash bag and set them by the curb....

Omg, that's funny

kellycan27
02-21-2013, 02:42 PM
a light coat of clear nail polish on the metal may help

Buy better jewelry? :heehee:

Lorileah
02-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Buy better jewelry? :heehee:

Or find a rich boyfriend.... :)

kellycan27
02-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Or find a rich boyfriend.... :)

That'll work too!

giuseppina
02-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Hello "Mary"

The best way to stop this problem is finding jewelery that does not give you issues. Coatings tend to introduce another set of problems and must be replaced from time to time.