PDA

View Full Version : Would you CD in a mascot costume?

Chickhe
02-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Recently I had this crazy thought about volunteering to wear a mascot costume at a local festival. I didn't in the end because decided on something else which would have conflicted, but suppose you had the choice between either male or female. The costumes are done up to look like either a male or female bear (I assume talking is not done) and you can't see the person inside. Would you take up the chance to wear the female costume? I think you would have to try to move like a female in exagerated ways...could you pull it off, or would you look like a male inside a female costume?

savvy_fudge
02-19-2013, 02:30 PM
With practice I'm guessing you'd be able to move however the festival wanted. I'm pretty sure that places that use a lot of costumed characters (i.e. Disney) don't care who's under the mask as long as they move as is expected. Getting someone the right height/bodyshape is probably higher on their list than matching gender.

In the I wouldn't but I also know people who've worn those kind of costumes and it's not fun.

Stephanie47
02-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Before the Tacoma Tigers (AAA, Oakland Athletics) became the Tacoma Rainers (AAA, Seattle Mariners) the mascot was a Tiger. It was rather hilarious when a female (I guess a female) was hired to wear the mascot costume. You'd think the costume was heavy enough (fake fur) that the undergarments would not show. Well, in the bright sunlight everyone could see the black bra. So, before outing yourself before ten thousand fans, you may want to check it out! :)

Beverley Sims
02-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Yes, I did Minnie Mouse once, a trademark registered show. Disney approved.

Diane Smith
02-23-2013, 12:41 AM
I have first hand knowledge that a certain famous male rodent, mascot of a huge entertainment empire, wandering the sidewalks of major theme parks in Orlando and Anaheim, is actually performed by a petite young female actress. I was, however, sworn to secrecy in this matter and cannot disclose how I obtained the information. :)

- Diane

Beverley Sims
02-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Diane, I think girls do the job better than boys anyway.
It was a girl that talked me into it and I really enjoyed the experience.

CynthiaD
02-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Given a choice between a male costume and a female costume, I'd definitely go with the female one. But they don't hire pudgy old men for that, do they? :)