PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fashion Era

ArleneRaquel
02-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Mine is the 1940-'50. I grew up mainly in the 1950 and I just loved the fashion back then and at that time there were many motions picture on the TV and I found those fashions elent, but also alluring. Grewing up in that era may have something to do with my love of cat's eye frame. Circa 1960 my mother was first fitted with glasses, which she needed to wear at all times, her first pair and 1-2 afterward were silver cat's eye and I fell in love with them. Circa 1970-'72, perhaps a bit later I purchased my first female frames, but for the life of me I can't remember my first style. Old age I guess. I have worn female frames, excusively, since 2003 and most of them have cats eye.

Please pick your favorite era for female fashion. I do adore pantyhose which didn't enter the scene until later. :)

Btw cat's eyes were very popular, in my extented family. My mothers sister, an older cousin, and an aunt also wore this style, perhaps others as well. Also I had a gf, Maureen, who was fitted with glasses the same time I was, we had in school examines, and she choose cat'e eyes as well. Alas I haven't seen here since 1965. In 1960 she & I were reprimaned by our nun, in private, for being too close.

Beverley Sims
02-20-2013, 08:44 PM
I am a 60's fashionista.

BLUE ORCHID
02-20-2013, 09:17 PM
For me it's the 50s' & the 60s' Oh the era of the sweater girls again.

AllieSF
02-20-2013, 09:21 PM
I like the 1920's and 1930 Flapper era and the drop waists, tassels, clean lines and the soft silky materials for that period. I wore my first rented costume this past Halloween and it was a white flapper drop waist dress. I was so surprised and happy how well it fit and looked. I loved it and will definitely do it again. I also like specific styles from different time periods, like the big petticoated flowing gowns of the Victorian era and the tight waisted dresses from the 1950's. Here are two pics in my rented Flapper dress at the Sacramento River City Gems annual party.

ArleneRaquel
02-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Allie,
I adore your look, I love my flapper outfit, which I worn once outside of my home. You look amazing girl. HUGS ! Now of you added cat's eye frames OMG !

Gretchen_To_Be
02-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Mid 80's to early 90's for me...think Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love Girls!

ArleneRaquel
02-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Shibumi,
Gorgeous ladies, thank you for sharing.

Marleena
02-20-2013, 11:19 PM
I enjoy the sixties/early seventies look because I was a teenager then. Miniskirts, pantyhose, hotpants were the rage. I remember how sexy the girls looked and wished I could be them.:)

Persephone
02-21-2013, 03:24 AM
I totally love the 60's -- the 1860's!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/ScarlettOHaragreendress.jpg http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/gone-with-the-wind.gif

Hugs,
Persephone.

Danielle Gee
02-21-2013, 03:29 AM
I totally love the 60's -- the 1860's!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/ScarlettOHaragreendress.jpg http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/gone-with-the-wind.gif

Hugs,
Persephone.

I agree with you Peresephone, I could watch GWTW or "The Big Valley" forever. The Ladies clothes are amazing

Danielle

Diversity
02-21-2013, 03:35 AM
I like anything from the 1920's onwards, as there are so many styles which fit different moods and events, where I would like to wear them. AllieSF (post #4) above, you look absolutely devine!
Di

monalisa
02-21-2013, 03:37 AM
I too love the southern belle and Victorian look with the long full dresses and corsets but also enjoyed the mini skirt year with garter belts. But went to the beach yesterday in Florida and also love today's bikinis. So I guess every period has something to offer.

vivianann
02-21-2013, 03:48 AM
love the 40's and 50's and the late 70's

Lynn Marie
02-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Oh how I loved the 50's women's fashions. I wear modern attire, but in a 50's sort of way. Never will understand pantyhose.

Kate Simmons
02-21-2013, 06:30 AM
I'm partial to the 40's and 50's myself. I love the outfits and hats that ladies wore to go out or to church in those days.:)

BOBBI G.
02-21-2013, 06:35 AM
For me it was the mid 50's to mid 60's. Females, (women and girls) were definately feminine or learning how to be. I so miss those days. Women used to dress to go anywhere. It was a gentler time.

Bobbi

Costume
02-21-2013, 06:52 AM
For eveningwear the 50s, and for bridalwear the 90s.

Lacy PJs
02-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Perhaps it's just because of the type of clothing I'm interested in but the 70s & early 80s saw the last of the really feminine gowns, robes & babydolls with layers of sheer material, lots of lace, etc. AND that was also the era of the aerobic dancing craze which meant plenty of leotards & tights! :)

Lacy PJs

kimdl93
02-21-2013, 10:45 AM
ok, I'm a tad younger. I loved girls in hip huggers and halter tops in the 70s!

oh, and I forgot mini's. I really love mini's. Not for me, but on a young woman...wow.

Barbara Maria
02-21-2013, 10:52 AM
It's 40s and50s for me. especially mid to late 50s. Wish I could find them in my size!

Robyn Roberts
02-21-2013, 10:52 AM
For me it would be the Victorian era. With the wasp waist corsets and bustled gowns and the hats they use to wear,with their hair stlyes. I got my game plan ready if they ever invent a time machine.

BillieJoEllen
02-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Mid fifties to 1970. I don't think clothing was ever more feminine than at that time. Petticoats and wide skirts of the fifties, tight skirts and fancy lingerie in the 60s. Oh and gartered nylons! I just loved them! The materials and colors were fantastic and feminine behavior was sought after in many classes that young girls took. Women always wore a dress to whatever function they were attending and looked forward to doing so. As a child I can't remember all the times I heard women and girls talking about their dresses and slips and sometimes other unmentionables.

Theonethatleads
02-21-2013, 11:22 AM
That is so easy to answer for this house....The 20's and 30's.

In my 20's I had a client (a much older woman) that loved my style. Which is just about anything I want, based on "mood"...lol...Never afraid that I wasn't in line with what everyone else was wearing. So, one day because all she had were son's (gosh I have later thought ...I hope none of them was a broken heart cd.) She brought me all of her mothers jewery...her mother was a show girl in Vegas in the 20's and 30's...OMG! I have a collection to die for. Now how much fun do you think this has been? Earings (clip) necklaces, rings..you name it. Not to mention things I had never seen. Like garter charms, bracletts that wrap between your fingers and over your hands then around the wrist. Upon reflection...I was told one of my outfits that drove my H insane was the mini skirt I wore that I used the garter charms with...when sitting (an honestly teasing) I would make sure that the bling was showing. I have even made some on my own with hot glueing earings to the clasps. One year for a gift I took the hand braclett to have it sized larger because Celeste loved it so much and just didn't clip closed. That with LBD and black gloves...simply amazing.

When I first found out...I found my H "playing" in the treasure box with almost an obsession....I would call home from the office asking "Whatcha doin?" Knowing darn well...lol

Jewel :)

ssmjoanne
02-21-2013, 12:01 PM
The 50's and 60's. Garter belts, girdles, lacy bras and sexy baby dolls.

ArleneRaquel
02-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Thank you ladies for responding with such a wide varieties of favs. Btw I love mini skirts also.

insearchofme
02-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Mid 80's to early 90's for me...think Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love Girls!

When Robert Palmer's "addicted to Love" came out the rumor was that one of these girls was a gurl? Don't know if it was true but that was the rumor. We all wondered which one it was.

audreyinalbany
02-21-2013, 02:59 PM
I've gotta say I only recently (this week) started watching season 1 of Downton Abby on Netflix. I'd never given it a thought before, but I find the early 1900's women's clothes very attractive.

JaniceP
02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
I Grew-up in the late 50's early 60's and I truley believe this was the time that GIRLS were most FEMININE in their dress. Foundations, as well as Lingerie were all availabe in pretty pastel, girly colors.
Girls (and I) would wear a cute, lace trimed panty, under a pretty pastel colored pantygirdle that had garters holding up my sheer stockings.
Pretty slips and half slips were the norm. Lacy FEMININE Bra's that matched my girdle were somewhat of a girly neccesity.
A Sweat, Sweat Skirt, pretty make-up, lovely shoulder length wig along with all of the pretty FEMININE foundations and Lingerie, helping my wiggle as I walk in my 3" Pumps.

ArleneRaquel
02-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Janice,
We agree to a great degee. Thanks for posting your opinion.

Ms. Laura
02-21-2013, 03:39 PM
I can find something I love about anywhen, though less about the 70s. I am partial to the 80s from a practical standpoint, bangs, big hair, lots of blush and eyeshadow, high heels and minis. Perfect for a CD with no shoulder pads to match a woman with them!

suzy1
02-21-2013, 03:54 PM
When I first noticed Audrey Hepburn in that L.B.D. a switch got flipped on in my head and I have never been the same since.
Then Sophia Loren wiggled into view and that was it!

So it’s 1960-1970 for me.

JaniceP
02-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Always, girls--always------i would dream to be dressed as and looking like DORIS DAY!

The cutest outfits, i know she was wearing an obg, with sheer stockings. Pretty skirt suits and lovely evening dresses with heels.

Rock hudson, how could you have been gay, spooning with her!

Stephanie47
02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Arlene, I a little older than you. My fashion sense comes right out of the 1950's and 1960's, Women did not wear pants!!!!! Women wore dresses and heels and lacy slips and hosiery. I would not be caught dead in women's pants and jeans. That would defeat the entire motivation to cross dress. Why would a man with a desire to cross wear men's pants that women co-opted by decorating them with stitching and sequins? If a man wants to emulate a woman, he should look like a woman in dress and mannerisms! I'm waiting for the flack! :)

AllyCDTV
02-21-2013, 06:47 PM
For me it would definitely be the '60 Mod era from England (as is was known at the time). I loved the mini dresses/skirts, bold colors and the hair styles with bangs.

SandraInHose
02-21-2013, 06:53 PM
For me, nothing compares to the 80's. Lots and lots of lycra, spandex, nylon, etc. I loved the big hair, heavy makeup, short dresses and short skirts, and went batsh*t crazy over those wonderful high-gloss, shiny pantyhose! Picture Rhonda Shear from back in the day and you'll get the idea.

BreannaRodge
02-21-2013, 09:31 PM
I love the lingerie and dresses of the 1940s and 1950s. How I wish to be a housewife back then...

ArleneRaquel
02-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Brianna,
Thank you for your perfect insight. HUGS & KISSES !

Thank all of the ladies that have added their comments & insights. :battingeyelashes:

Diane Smith
02-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Late '50s/early '60s. Audrey Hepburn, Jackie Kennedy, Tippi Hedren.

- Diane

PaulaQ
02-22-2013, 02:16 AM
I love the lingerie and dresses of the 1940s and 1950s. How I wish to be a housewife back then...

*sigh* I agree with this so much...

Gwinnie
02-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Southern belle for dresses for me. For blouses and skirts then late 70s- early 80s. Pussy bows, huge billowing puffy sleeves. Tight pencil skirts and heels. For bridal it's a toss up. 80s like Princess Diana or dresses from my big fat gypsy wedding. If my dress can fit through the double doors, it needs another layer. And defiantly. need huge puffy sleeves. I want to feel them on my face when I reach for something

Lacy PJs
02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
...and sexy baby dolls.

My sentiments exactly! :)

Lacy PJs

daviolin
02-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Oh my, this is so hard. I love all the decades. And all the centuries. If its women's attire, I will wear it. Every fashion has its own adventure. Daviolin

countrygirl
02-22-2013, 11:06 PM
For me it would be the 1800's.

SashaJade
02-23-2013, 06:35 PM
I really like to house wife look from the 50's/60's. I have always really liked the way the dresses looked.

lingerieLiz
02-24-2013, 01:23 AM
I started as a small boy in the 50s. I was able to afford a nice large wardrobe in the early 60s. I really liked the beautiful lingerie sets and the dresses from that period. It was also fun when they had sox hops with everyone showing up in their poodle skirts from the 50s. I liked going to the drive in movies with a friend of mine as his date. The 70s had some fun clothes, but it wasn't my favorite period. When the 80s came in and big shoulders and hair were in style it was fun to dress again. I stated wearing women's blouses/shirts openly about that time. I liked the new fashions over the last 20+ years. Fabrics are nicer and softer than they used to be. I like silk blouses which were rare before the 80s. I traveled overseas regularly so I was able to buy fabric cheap. I had several dresses made for me when I traveled which are pretty much classic lines and could wear them today if I would lose 20 pounds.

While I liked wearing nylons, especially with garters, I don't miss pantyhose and actually like bare legs. Just a pair of panties under a silky dress is very sexy.

JaniceP
02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Lynn so true. I can't and don't want to understand pantyhose, they seem to be, not FEMININE or Girly enough.

I enjoy wearing a Pantygirdle, or high top control Garter Panty. I really do prefer these in colors other than white. I don't know if you can relate or remember, but in the early to mid 60's Pantygirdles came in all sorts of delcious pastel colors and alot of them had very lacy trim at the bottom of the leg. I had a blue, pink (natureally) and the prettiest Yellow Pantygirdle you've ever seen, you know, I even found a cute lacy cup underwire bra to match!--This was 1966.
Stockings attached to the garters of a girdle or cute garter panty, were and still are the best. You know, if you get a run in you stocking, chances are you have a replacement, but also, stocking seem alot more sheer that the sheerest you can find in pantyhose.
By the way, I also love OBG's (Open Botton Girdles), they seem the best to wear with a straight skirt or skirt suit.

Jaymees22
02-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I kind of like any era where women didn't wear bras. Unfortunately I can't pull that look off. Hugs Jaymee

ArleneRaquel
02-26-2013, 03:11 PM
I just love wearing a bra, it helps my illusion.

NV Susan
02-26-2013, 03:49 PM
As a saloon girl I love the clothing of the 1860's.. I must admit I love the current styles also.

ArleneRaquel
02-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Speaking of the 1860's, and 1870's Miss Kitty should had a fashion flair.

il.dso
02-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Fun question.
I still love the 80s look...
Polyester flowery dresses, pantyhose, nylon slips, big hair!

donnalee
02-27-2013, 08:50 AM
The 30s and 40s. Clothing was tailord to hang properly and the designs were far more artistic than anything since. The 50s were well made but I didn't care for the styles as much.

sonna
02-27-2013, 09:20 AM
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, i like them all better when combind

marelna
03-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Have a love of twenties fashion

Stevie
03-18-2013, 06:54 AM
I lke the eighties