PDA

View Full Version : Obsession or hobby?

Lynn Marie
02-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Anybody else notice that when you're hindered from pursuing something, it becomes an obsession. And when the hinderence is removed, the obsession becomes a hobby.

Rogina B
02-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Well the pursuit of anything becomes more logical when the barriers come down,for sure.Humans wouldn't be where they are today if we didn't have this wiring!

BLUE ORCHID
02-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Hi Lynn Marie, I guess you could say that it is an obsessive hobby for me.

darla_g
02-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Calling it a hobby is not a good term for a lot of people.

kimdl93
02-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Some peoples hobbys may themselves become obsessions. I think its wise to think about the potentially obsessive nature of what we do. There can be problems with any behavior that becomes excessively consumes our time, financial resources or attention to the detriment of other aspects of life.

Ms. Laura
02-21-2013, 11:40 AM
I ABSOLUTELY agree with your premise. I've been prevented from dressing for 3 months and my mind is almost completely obsessed with it. When I have some freedom, say every 2-3 weeks, whatever, I reach a balance where I feel good about things. Because of having a child, I am almost NEVER alone and just haven't had an opportunity and don't foresee one and it is eating me up, Obsession!

I get that the word hobby sort of trivializes CDing as though it's like model airplanes, something you can take or leave, I don't get to that point. If I can look forward to some periodic Laura time, I reach a balancing point, as in not obsessive.

Maria S
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Obsession or hobby? Probably was a hobby but now is much more important to me. Would not call it an obession but more a new way of life. After all you would not call a GG who likes to dress a bit tomboyish an obsessive.

Maria

Lorileah
02-21-2013, 11:48 AM
and sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Stevie
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Neither. This feels. Normal to me. But that doesn't change the fact that i'm still a guy.

ArleneRaquel
02-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Whatever it was in the past it is now my lifestyle.

katrinakat
02-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Idk I think I'm obsessed! If I'm not n drag the. I think about it and wish I was! I'm constantly jealous, of girls!

Kate Simmons
02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
I dunno, an obsession is often an overriding compulsion(full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes). I'm way past either one as everything I do these days is totally my choice.:)

Lee Andrews
02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Never had an objection to the term hobby. In a weird way it is for me but it can become an obsession as well.
Since I've been off work I need to have at least some pantyhose on or I go nuts, wearing skirts a lot these days too. Sounds obsessive to me.:heehee:

Lynn Marie
02-21-2013, 07:13 PM
I ABSOLUTELY agree with your premise. I've been prevented from dressing for 3 months and my mind is almost completely obsessed with it. When I have some freedom, say every 2-3 weeks, whatever, I reach a balance where I feel good about things. Because of having a child, I am almost NEVER alone and just haven't had an opportunity and don't foresee one and it is eating me up, Obsession!

I get that the word hobby sort of trivializes CDing as though it's like model airplanes, something you can take or leave, I don't get to that point. If I can look forward to some periodic Laura time, I reach a balancing point, as in not obsessive.

Hi Laura, I'm thinking that you actually read the OP rather than just the title. Thank you. You're right about the "hobby" word, but it's sort of the best one I could come up with to catagorize the wonderful more relaxed view of our passion that comes with being able to dress whenever and wherever you like. There was a time when I'd rent a room just for a few hours of being dressed in a downright pitiful few items of female attire. Now that seems so foreign to me. I'm divorced, happily unattached, retired, secure, and well over 50 years old. I fully appreciate my fortunate situation.

joank
02-21-2013, 07:18 PM
I do Ido IDO idodio idoIDOIDOIDO!!!!!!!

Karren H
02-21-2013, 07:30 PM
When an obsession becomes unhindered...... you usually end up on the evening news.....

Beverley Sims
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
The only hindrance I have is my wife wanting to know the temperature for tomorrow or how the "Thread Killer" is progressing.

sometimes_miss
02-22-2013, 05:58 PM
It's simply different depending on why you're doing it. Hobby, compulsion, disorder, game, fetish, etc.. Call it whatever you wish to make yourself happy with it.

Angela Campbell
02-23-2013, 10:27 AM
For me it is neither. This is just who I am.

docrobbysherry
02-23-2013, 11:09 AM
The word, "hobby", is arguably correct for me, Lynn Marie.

However, calling what I do a compulsive obsession is definitely RITE ON THE MARK!

For years, I had reached a happy compromise of dressing a couple times a month. But lately, I'm not certain if the more often I dress, that it may cause me to want to dress all the more!

franlee
02-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Hobby is a term I use for something I realy enjoy but don't have to indulge in except for my own entertainment and self gradification. So in normal situations CDing could be a hobby and I realy don't see where the term is changed my inner drive and self acculamation I still don't have to do it if I don't feel like it. The obsession is real too, but like all the years I smoked I had the strenght to stop if I Wanted To! But I can understand the obsessive desire and satisfaction of acting on it, almost instant gradification.

Brynna M
02-24-2013, 10:55 AM
someone once defined a obsession as an unwanted or intrusive thought. When I can't dress the thought is intrusive because I can't act on it and it causes frustration. Its much the same with other hobbies like martial arts or video games. If its in your head and it bothers (bothers is the important part) then it becomes an obsession. A hobby is still in your thoughts but it doesn't cause distress or interfere with things.

CynthiaD
02-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Well, anything can be an obsession if you let it. But crossdressing is not a hobby. Collecting stamps is a hobby. Building electric train sets is a hobby. Dressing up like a woman, acting like a woman, trying to pass ... Not a hobby. What is it then? The only word that comes to mind is "cool!" Very cool!

Raychel
02-24-2013, 12:20 PM
When an obsession becomes unhindered...... you usually end up on the evening news.....

Great, I know just what dress I will wear. :heehee:

DeniseNY
02-24-2013, 02:13 PM
This is definitely a hobby. It is not an obsession until it takes over your life and you can't walk away from it for a week.

Mikkigurll
02-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi Lynn Marie, I guess you could say that it is an obsessive hobby for me.Same here. To me, it's like living my hobby.