PDA

View Full Version : It pays to crossdress

Frédérique
02-21-2013, 11:33 AM
There once was an artist named Marcel Duchamp, and he was rigorous in his breaking of social barriers. Naturally, he was “in” to crossdressing. He made a full-blown female persona, and renamed himself Rrose Sélavy. When spoken, it sounds like, “Eros, c’est la vie,” which, when translated into English reads “Love (or desire), that’s life.” Duchamp made sure to have himself photographed as Rrose, something we MtF crossdressers can all relate to...

Anyway, later on, Duchamp made a famous work of art, using a photo of his crossdressed self. He took an empty Rigaud perfume bottle, removed the label, and affixed a photo of Rrose in its place. He invented a brand name for his “readymade” perfume, calling it BELLE HALEINE, or “beautiful breath.” Below those words he added, in italics, the words “Eau de Voilette,” meaning “veil water,” as opposed to the usual eau de toilette. It means that the artist is consciously veiling his sexuality, another thing that some of us can relate to...

Once completed, the perfume bottle became a typical anti-artwork. Nothing about it is real. There is no perfume in the bottle, it won’t give you “beautiful breath,” and there’s nothing behind the veil that is alluded to on the label. It’s a worthless piece of junk, an empty bottle with a fake label, made into a work of art by its creator. Duchamp was making a critique on materialism, vanity, and art itself, having a good laugh in doing so. This is the mind of the artist (and crossdresser) at work, looking around and questioning the false gods of reality...

Anyway, Duchamp’s perfume bottle was seen and acknowledged by the art public, and it was eventually acquired by Yves Saint Laurent, the fashion designer. When he died in 2008, much of his collection was sold, including the BELLE HALEINE, at auction at Christie’s. When the smoke cleared, the latter fetched a staggering $11,489,968! I’m tellin’ ya, it PAYS to crossdress...
:clap:

Let me guess – you’re either smiling :) or you’re completely shocked :eek:, right? You’re welcome...:heehee:

Wildaboutheels
02-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Winning a "large enough" Haloween costume contest can pay some pretty good money.

IF someone is willing to dress up and actually attend.

And what EASIER way for ANYone to escape their closet?

Lorileah
02-21-2013, 11:47 AM
hard to spend that much money when you are dead though.

Memzy
02-21-2013, 11:48 AM
This is so cool, on so many levels. His story gives me so many ideas being the odd artistic type that I am!

Thank's for sharing a great piece of art history!

kimdl93
02-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Yeah, but he had to die for that perfume bottle to gain value!!! Dead artists are always worth more.

Momarie
02-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Freddy,

Do you have a job?

Stephanie47
02-21-2013, 05:05 PM
You can run for office. Several politicians have been known to don a dress while in office. Edward Hyde (1661-1723) was the Governor of New York was thought to be a cross dresser, and, as history records opened an assembly meeting in New York dressed in a hoop gown. He was also seen wearing women's clothing while making rounds in New York. Back in those days, the civilized part of New York was limited to the lower part of Manhattan Island.

Them fast forward to Mayor Rudy Giuliani who appeared at a roast dressed in a blond wig and pink gown, and, appeared en femme on Saturday Night Live. Too bad he did not make it to the White House. It would have been interesting to see who would have designed his Inaugural Ball gown.

CynthiaD
02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Was that "Eau de Violette" or "Eau de Voilette?"

Diane Smith
02-22-2013, 01:49 AM
As so often seems to be the case, though, the artist himself (herself?) didn't benefit much from the final sale price. It's such a terrible irony that almost all artists' works appreciate the most when they die ...

- Diane

Frédérique
02-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Freddy, Do you have a job?

Yes. I’m a professional artist. If you don’t think that’s a “proper” job, well, you should try it sometime. It involves research and development, manufacture, presentation, promotion, marketing, and, eventually, tax paying, all done by ME. This goes on and on, over and over, no vacations, no down time, no retirement, and no respite for the weary, except to come here and get no respect…

If you’re referring to the number (and length) of posts I churn out, i.e. how do I have the time, just think of this as a pleasant diversion from the daily grind. Mr. Duchamp played chess to relax, while I write about my crossdressing (and other things) to relax…
:straightface:

Was that "Eau de Violette" or "Eau de Voilette?"

Thanks for noticing my mistake – I have corrected it… :o

As so often seems to be the case, though, the artist himself (herself?) didn't benefit much from the final sale price. It's such a terrible irony that almost all artists' works appreciate the most when they die ...

I can tell you that, in this instance, the MtF crossdressing alone pleased the artist, and his little perfume bottle was a carefully crafted joke – anything beyond the amusement that came during the creation of his femme persona and the objet d’art he made was immaterial. In other words, creation itself is paramount to the artist, and, since non-artists value this, they will pay to acquire something they either cannot accomplish or dare to do themselves. There are a few notable exceptions, but most true artists don’t care all that much about money – trying to express yourself can be enough of a miserable existence, so why make things worse?

I know that Duchamp, married to a rich woman and living in New York City, was comfortable, and he probably made a decent sum when he sold the perfume bottle. After that, it was out of his hands. I’m sure he would have been roaring with laughter to hear what his little perfume bottle brought at auction, a VERY successful punch line to the intended joke. Of course, anything by Duchamp brings very high prices because 1) he was the most famous proponent of Dada, 2) he made very few artworks, c) he was mysterious and interesting, and d) he's no longer with us, meaning there will be no more artworks. It pays to crossdress – the artist enjoys himself/herself, and the artistic wannabes pay for the memorabilia. Somebody reaps the benefits, and, if you think of it, someone put a very high price on (artistic) crossdressing…
:battingeyelashes:

Hmmm... This may very well be a thread-killer post, positively suicidal in this case... :thinking:

suzy1
02-22-2013, 10:17 AM
For someone that can even make a urinal into a work of art I take my hat off to him. [Yep, he really did!]

To me it’s all about not taking life [or other people] too seriously.

Thanks freddy:)

Beverley Sims
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Frédérique,
Was the figure $11,489,966 and you corrected it because it was wrong?

Having been at launches of art exhibitions over the years I have seen these people with money and very little appreciation of art or the artist carry on such a pretence that it seemed hypocritical. That is why I smiled.

After hanging a display in a galley all straight and in order I noticed one picture had slid over 45 degrees.

The comments were, I like that the artist is trying to illustrate either this that or the other.

The artwork was just hanging crooked.

Artists in themselves have a subtle insight into what they are doing and the messages they are trying to convey to the viewer.

What are they doing.... They are trying to make a living and encourage you to buy their wares..

Sometimes there is a message in the object de arte, and that is,
Buy me.
Yes there is money in dead artists, X dressers or otherwise.

Tess
02-22-2013, 04:34 PM
As a "Sunday painter", I loved your story Freddy. There is something very special about coming up with a really unique subject and composition, something I've only experienced a time or two, and certainly never at a level of a professional artist, let alone a famous one. Perhaps your story will spur some creativity in my next work.

Ceri Anne
02-22-2013, 05:14 PM
great post Frederique

mikiSJ
02-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Rrose's images can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/av8ve6n

flatlander_48
02-22-2013, 11:14 PM
A fascinating bit of trivia! Assuming sufficient resources, I could see spending $4,600,000 for the Batmobile before I could the Eau de Voilette, but I don't begrudge whoever it was. However, I would have no use for either. Now, if you said that I could have the money and buy George Salih's winning Indy 500 car from 1957 and '58 (which was the first and only laydown to win), we could definitely talk!

Now, if what I said makes no sense to you, don't worry about it. If you would like further information, PM me. We can talk.

Annette Todd
02-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Freddy,

Do you have a job?

IMO this coment was rude and unnecessary. Freddy was good enough to respond and not show an obvious offence to it. So I will say it.

Barbara Ella
02-23-2013, 01:19 AM
Freddy, thanks so much for relaxing with us. Sometimes have a hard time figuring out "art" but I know what I like, so I enjoy what I like and hope those people prosper. Like I do when reading here.

Barbara

docrobbysherry
02-23-2013, 01:47 AM
I very interesting tale, Freddie! Altho I fail to see a connection between the artist and the CD?

A fascinating bit of trivia! Assuming sufficient resources, I could see spending $4,600,000 for the Batmobile before I could the Eau de Voilette, but I don't begrudge whoever it was. However, I would have no use for either. Now, if you said that I could have the money and buy George Salih's winning Indy 500 car from 1957 and '58 (which was the first and only laydown to win), we could definitely talk!

Now, if what I said makes no sense to you, don't worry about it. If you would like further information, PM me. We can talk.
I attended an auto auction many years ago, Flat. One of the batmobiles sold for what I thot was an astounding amount! Something approaching $5,000 as I recall. Some years later, I saw the Ghost Busters ambulance/transport sold for $10,000. And, it had decaying, cheesy parts falling off as it drove thru the auction tent!

flatlander_48
02-23-2013, 10:02 AM
I attended an auto auction many years ago, Flat. One of the batmobiles sold for what I thot was an astounding amount! Something approaching $5,000 as I recall. Some years later, I saw the Ghost Busters ambulance/transport sold for $10,000. And, it had decaying, cheesy parts falling off as it drove thru the auction tent!

One man's treasure...

rita63
02-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the link Miki I saved it to peruse more later. Ok so if I won the lottery I'd be out buying art. Maybe not 11 mill but I enjoy Du Champs work and with art you buy what you like and humorous art is very valuable because we laugh and we need to laugh more.

hugs rita