PDA

View Full Version : Got the go ahead for laser hair removal

MaylinJane
12-08-2005, 10:27 PM
I've always had problems shaving my face. Bad ingrown hairs, hardcore razor burn, and horrible red bumps. So for years I simply ran a beard trimmer on the lowest setting over my face. Good for my complexion, but bad for trying to pass. Last month my wife and I were on the way to see Nine Inch Nails, she really wanted me to dress for the concert, (she's very accepting and cool like that), but I refused to cuz' if I shave I'll pay for it over the next month and if I can't atleast try to pass, I'm not going out in public dressed. So she said "Well, why don't you just get your facial hair lasered off?" Needless to say, she didn't have to say that twice. I found a really cool place in my area that was experienced in male facial hair removal and do a combination of laser and electrolisys. I had my first consultation last week, being very light skinned and dark haired they believe I'm a very good canidate for laser. My first appointment for full facial hair removal is on January 5th. I'm very excited about it and am looking forward to finally having that smooth, hair free face that I've always felt I should have had, plus with no facial hair I'll finally be able to venture out. It's a first step into a larger work. If anyone is interested in it at all I can record and document my progress over the next year or so and keep you all updated on how it goes.

I'm very lucky to have such a cool wife.

May:D

Helana
12-08-2005, 11:58 PM
May

Good idea. I am having my beard lasered too. It is a relief to finally get rid of the stubble and to forget about shaving.

On a practical level some woman hate the roughness of a beard and think it looks dirty, others love it and enjoy the masculine look. Fortunately my girlfriend hates stubble. It is good that your wife supports this as it may add to your intimancy i.e. you are more kissable;)

Kierci
12-09-2005, 01:40 AM
Please do keep us informed, with photos if you could. I am interested in the cost associated with it. If you dont want to talk $$ in open forum pm me please. I have the same problem you do just not as bed I can only shave once a week at best and I hate the feeling of a beard.

DonnaT
12-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Alright May! You do indeed have a very cool wife. :clap:

What type of laser do they use?

vanessaleigh
12-14-2005, 11:09 PM
I have had 4 treatments so far and the results are fantastic. The only thing I would warn you about is that it can hurt a bit. I have started taking Ibuprofin before the treatments and it helps. I haven't been able to handle the time needed for their numbing cream but now that the focus is really only on upper lip and chin, I might have to work that in. Upper lip and bony parts seem to be the hardest to take.

A smooth face is so worth it though. I would take a lot more pain if that is what it took for these results. My wife likes the results too!

sarahsfiona GG
12-14-2005, 11:44 PM
They used numbing cream? <wistful sigh> I underwent laser hair removal for almost a year for my underams, legs, and...ummmm...unmentionable. :) (No numbing cream, alas.) Although the hair growth is more sparse, I STILL have to shave, tweeze, epillate, etc. Plus, the woman wielding the laser thingie got too close to one of my tattoos. Oy vey. My tiger lost her toes. :mad:

Going rate for laser treatments here is $99 per area, although legs are more. Lower only was $125, I think. After my fourth visit, she cut the price in half. I felt like I had to keep going because I'd earned my "discount," but finally gave it up as a lost cause.

Fiona

Abby Lauren
12-15-2005, 12:40 AM
I, for one, would be interested in an ongoing account of your experiences. Good luck!

Helana
12-15-2005, 12:56 AM
I dont use numbing cream - the snap pain of the laser is so short that I do not mind it. The first two treatments are the worst as your beard is still full. Thereafter the hair density is much sparser and I find treatments are easy. But it will take a lot of treatements to clear your face permanently. Realistically only 5-10% of your hairs are killed off on each session, and some are too deep to ever be killed by laser. Mostly your body repairs the damaged follicles and the hair begins regrowing after a few months.